Hacking <How-To>Get Homebrew up and running using the Twilight Hack.

gameguy95

Needs More Furries!
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
ether2802 said:
No worries, just insert the burned game and start the Backup Channel...!!
biggrin.gif
i dont look at wii stuff a lot does this still need a modchip to run or not?

tj_cool

Site dev
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
MiiWii4Frii said:
"I recommend you use the Homebrew Channel instead of the loader, you then wouldn't need twilight princess"

WTF does that mean?
You can use the twilight hack to install the Homebrew channel (found at http://hbc.hackmii.com)
The homebrew channel does the same as the twilight hack (it loads a homebrew app from sd)
But you dont need to start twilight princess every time, and the Twilight hack save file is not required

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hello!

I bought my Wii this week, so I am very very very NOOB in these unlocking issues.

It´s European, serial# LAH10701877-9 and I am trying to figuring out the best way to unlock it to play burned/copied/alternative games and original US games (because I have 2 of them).

Here in Brazil there´s a lot of people selling various types of hardware unlocking, with solder and solderless. They say it´s more safe because software unlocking can brick the console when the system updates itself. I don´t know if trust them or not.

I have read the first post in this topic, and want to ensure I have understood correctly it.
To do the software unlocking I need to:

1- buy an original european PAL Zelda:TP game
2- install Twilight Hack
3- Install Homebrew
4- Install WADmanager
5- Install Gammaloader (to play the burned discs)
6- Install Gecko OS (to play the american games)

1st question: Whats the best way to unlock it, in your opinion? Via hardware, or via software?

2nd question: Did I understand correctly how to do the software unlocking? Do you think I can do it? Do you have more suggestions, warnings?

3rd question: Can I download games from the internet and play in both unlocking situations, via SD card?

Thanks in advance. Hugs

Anderson

Fildy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@locomia

See post in noobs paradise thread.

Also if you could prevent from double posting. I know you are eager, but if you are patient someone will always get with you and less people with get angry with you.

Cheers Mate

locomia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Fildy said:
@locomia

1.) Softmodding is easier and cheaper than hardmodding, plus there is the added bonus of not having to open your system at all.

The chances of bricking your wii are very slim as long as you follow the steps you are given to a T.
If you are unsure on something, read again, do more research ask more questions. You can never know enough imo, Im about a month or so in and I still learn something knew each day.

2.) You are really close. If you could link what guide you are using it would be helpful. You will also need to install cios 36 rev 8. I cannot link you to the download but google is your friend. There are a plethera of guides by many different people on how to softmodd, there are many involving downgrading to 3.2 and some allowing you to stay on the firmware you are on. Also you should look into installing starfall and/or preloader, which are both tools to help you not brick your wii, basically a safety precaution.

3.) Yes you can download games online, but it is probably illegal in your area is it is msot places. Supposedly with the new 4.0 update, which I haven't messed with myself. The main way of playing backed up/downloaded/dumped games is burning at the lowest speed on a -r dvd (Verbatim and TDK work best).

I suggest doing more reading before you go on with softmodding it. I didnt feel safe myself until I understood what I was doing in each step.

Thank you Fildy!

I quoted your reply here, because I was refering to this thread, but I posted 1st in the wrong one (it´s the result of opening a lot of tabs, one for each thread..
tongue.gif
)

Well, I decided to buy a hardware solution. Wiikey2+Wiiclip+Y key , I bought it here: http://www.mercadolivre.com.br/jm/item?sit...amp;id=90172041
It was about US$85,00

It will arrive to my home in a couple days, and I will install it by myself. The seller said it will run most original or copied games from any region, not all, but I can do software tricks to grow its compatibility. (I think he was refering to all this stuff we have in this forum, homebrew, gammaloader, etc etc.. )

I have 3 more questions:

1 - Do you think I did a good deal?

2- After installing the chip, can I do the Twilight Hack and install Homebrew, etc.. using an alternative copy of Zelda: TP ?? Or is it mandatory to use an original one?

3- Are there more simple ways to expand the titles compatibility, without downgrading or buying Zelda: TP ??

Thanks in advance.

Anderson

Kira Yamato

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Mexico
The version of the save for firmware 3.3 is the only exception? if u have a version higher or lower than 3.3 is the normal zelda save file? (sry for the noobish question)

hoass169

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys I have a couple comments/Questions
I did everything to a T and installed the HBC and everything on my version 3.0 and all I see on the channels are just the bubbles
I am trying to get to this stage http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144349 But I am sure i am doing something wrong
Just wondering if somebody could tell me what else to put on the channel at this point I thought it was the wad installer
or Wad Manager but i can't get it to show up in the HBC
Thank you

thefuzzer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Major issues! Not sure what to do! Please help!!

Info:
1. 3.4U - wii Serial stars with LU
2. HomeBrewChannel installed using TwighlightBeta02 hack.
3. Ios16 Installed
4. CIos_Fix won't install. I keep getting error -1035. I can't find any information on this error, and no clue what to do at this point. WadManager won't even start in some cases.

Can I format the wii somehow and start over? I've tried deleting the channel, and reinstalling the Twighlight hack, but it does no good!

rosey123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
slightly confused, can you please help, just unsure do i need the twilight save first or will it just work with the copied file? also do i walk backwards in the game, i am new to this so any help would be apreciated my excuse is i am blonde!!!!

wacko.gif

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thefuzzer said:
Major issues! Not sure what to do! Please help!!

Info:
1. 3.4U - wii Serial stars with LU
2. HomeBrewChannel installed using TwighlightBeta02 hack.
3. Ios16 Installed
4. CIos_Fix won't install. I keep getting error -1035. I can't find any information on this error, and no clue what to do at this point. WadManager won't even start in some cases.

Can I format the wii somehow and start over? I've tried deleting the channel, and reinstalling the Twighlight hack, but it does no good!

After IOS16 is installed, you need to use the Custom Wad Manager that runs off IOS16 to install cios_fix.

QUOTE(rosey123 @ Apr 10 2009, 02:43 PM) slightly confused, can you please help, just unsure do i need the twilight save first or will it just work with the copied file? also do i walk backwards in the game, i am new to this so any help would be apreciated my excuse is i am blonde!!!!

wacko.gif

1. copy the save onto a formated sd card ( the whole private folder and make sure its formated to FAT )
2. go get the homebrew channel installer and copy it too the sd card ( make sure its called boot.dol )
3. copy the save too the wii
4. Run the game ( twilight hack0 and twilighthack2 is determined by the disk you have )
5. Walk to the guy or walk backwards.
6. Install the homebrew channel.

wchill

Resident chillxpert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
@rosey:

Riley's instructions need to be clarified a bit, so here they are:

1. Make sure that your SD card is formatted as FAT/FAT16 (they're the same) then copy the save to your SD card. Everything, including the folders. The \private folder should be at the root (top) of the SD card.
2. Download the Homebrew Channel installer, extract it (should be a .dol file), rename it to boot.dol if necessary, and copy to your SD card's root.
3. If you didn't play Twilight Princess before, run the game and create a new save.
4. In the Wii Menu, copy the Twilight Hack to the Wii (in Data Management)
5. Run the game. The save file you use depends on your disc (there's a chart http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Twilight_Hack - or try one and if it doesn't work, use the other)
6. Talk to the guy or walk backwards so the guy talks to you.
7. Follow the instructions on the screen to install the HBC.

hoass169

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hoass169 said:
I did everything to a T and installed the HBC and everything on my version 3.0 and all I see on the channels are just the bubbles
I am trying to get to this stage http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=144349 But I am sure i am doing something wrong
Just wondering if somebody could tell me what else to put on the channel at this point I thought it was the wad installer
Thank you

Only bumping because it was last post
biggrin.gif

Can anyone help me out on which i know will be an obvious answer
tongue.gif

HappyCheese

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i have a problem though, when i walked backwards the twilight hack opened up but it said "start cluster = ffff" loads of times and then at the end it says

"FAT_ReadFile(boot.elf) failed with error -1
ss No elf image at address 90100000
DOL image detected?"
blink.gif

i am thoroughly confused as i have tried loads of times but i cant seem to get it to work

i have version 3.1E on the wii with a PAL TP

Riley

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
HappyCheese said:
i have a problem though, when i walked backwards the twilight hack opened up but it said "start cluster = ffff" loads of times and then at the end it says

"FAT_ReadFile(boot.elf) failed with error -1
ss No elf image at address 90100000
DOL image detected?"
blink.gif

i am thoroughly confused as i have tried loads of times but i cant seem to get it to work

i have version 3.1E on the wii with a PAL TP

Is your card formatted to FAT ( FAT16 ).

elgordito

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hoass169 said:
hoass169 said:
Thank you

Only bumping because it was last post
biggrin.gif

Can anyone help me out on which i know will be an obvious answer
tongue.gif

I had the same problem.. pretty easy fix yet nobody ever mentions it in the tutorials!!!

Ok, just load your SD card in your PC and go into the /apps folder you made, no go into every application folder inside the /apps one and change the .dol file name to boot.dol

So you would have something like:

/apps/USBLoader15/USB_Loader_15_Wani.dol you have to change this to /apps/USBLoader15/boot.dol

do this for all the apps you want to run in HBC

Cheers.

Gordito.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Sonic Angel Knight, Meth cake lol