How To Flash NES/Famicom Games on GBA Cartridges?

Vanessa__

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My boyfriend's birthday is coming up and I was originally gonna translate a certain game for him, but I found out that said game has an Famicom version with a translation.

I saw online, people selling GBA cartridges with NES games flashed on them, and was wondering if that's at as possible?

I have a BennVenn Joey Jr. GBA flasher, that we've used to flash GBA games onto cartridges.

But would it be possible for me to convert the .nes file to a .gba file to be able to flash it on a GBA cartridge?

-Best Thanks! Vanessa! :wub:

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
There is a NES emulator for the GBA called "PocketNES" that you can use to create a GBA ROM with an NES game.
Not sure what the most updated version is, but this is from 2020:
https://github.com/Dwedit/PocketNES/releases

As to flashing it to an actual GBA cartridge: I recall people were able to reflashing bootleg cartridges from china, but other than knowing it has been done, I wouldn't know specifics on how to do that.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
As to flashing it to an actual GBA cartridge: I recall people were able to reflashing bootleg cartridges from china, but other than knowing it has been done, I wouldn't know specifics on how to do that.
OP should invest in a GBxCart RW v1.4 by InsideGadgets, they won't be disappointed. I even use mine to make money, selling my homebrew on real carts. But back to the subject at hand... All bootlegs on AliExpress can be reflashed using this device, and the maintainer for the FlashGBX software (Lesserkuma) is really friendly and always adds new chip support as new bootlegs are rolled out. So compatibility with all carts out there is really, really high.

The best bootlegs to get are as follows.

Batteryless saving:

Kingdom Hearts - Chain of Memories
for GBA. (This one is recommended for Lesserkuma's batteryless Goomba Color fork and batteryless PocketNES fork.)
(32MB ROM and 512K SRAM)

Shantae for GBC.
(4MB ROM space)

Battery-backed SRAM saving:

YuGiOh Dual-Pack
for GBA.
(32MB ROM with 512K battery-backed SRAM)

Perfect Dark or Dragon Warrior III for GBC.
(4MB ROM space and battery-backed SRAM)

For Pokemon games:

There's really no bootleg cart that's good for these since they need a real-time clock and 1M of SRAM to save properly. I highly suggest just buying a premium GBA flash cart that has RTC built-in for Pokemon:

For Pokemon on GBA, I recommend the EZ-Flash Omega or Omega DE.
For Pokemon on GBC, I recommend Bennvenn's MBC3000 RTC cart, as you can store two separate Pokemon ROMs on it, and they each have their own RTC and save file. You switch between them using a dip switch on the PCB. And it's under $40, which is fantastic.

Last edited by Jayro,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto