How to create official looking Virtual Console Injects

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by CheatFreak47, Aug 10, 2016.

1. CheatFreak47
    OP

CheatFreak47 Catgirl Expert

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Personally I think the method @Asdolo uses looks close enough, better even, but if you're that picky about it the work around is to make your own 40x40 icon image in GIMP, import it, and choose stretch by height and it should appear correctly sized

CatmanFan likes this.
  2. olec04

olec04 Working on Project Heaven!

Banned
    Apr 10, 2015
    United States
    Trying to downgrade on 11.0 via AM services
    teach me how to do dis on linux :D

3. CatmanFan

CatmanFan Anxious and regretful

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    Unfortunately, this only works for Windows. If you want this on Linux or Mac then you need a virtual machine running Windows.

4. olec04

Banned
    Apr 10, 2015
    United States
    Aww :(

5. CheatFreak47
    OP

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I don't know how but it may be possible under some combination of Wine, Winetricks, and Mono. (will probably at least need mono to work)

Last edited by CheatFreak47, Aug 22, 2016
  6. olec04

Banned
    Apr 10, 2015
    United States
    Oh I only have wine

7. ironmaster49

ironmaster49 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 9, 2015
    Nah this program will work fine under wine, it just needs winemono because it is a .net application. I think it should.

CatmanFan likes this.
  8. gridatttack

gridatttack GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2009
    El Salvador
    Nice tutorial. I want to do some GBA injects.

However, I wonder, does the patch thing applies to the multiple 2 in 1 games?

I'm trying to do the 2 in 1 spyro games.

Last edited by gridatttack, Aug 26, 2016
    CatmanFan likes this.
  9. CatmanFan

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    Yes, you need to do multiple SRAM ticks for multicart GBA games. Other GBA games just need one.

10. gridatttack

gridatttack GBAtemp Fan

Dec 7, 2009
    El Salvador
    I'm getting an unhandled exception error when making the GBA cia.

It tells me it can't find the "rom_patched.gba" in the Local Temp directory.

Permission issues?

11. CatmanFan

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    I think I have the same issue as well.

12. Ekaitz

Ekaitz Redhead Believer

Jun 13, 2010
    France
    Yes, I'm that picky and I found an easy solution to my small issue. :P
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-gba-vc-banner-and-icon-generator.391566/

This tool is perfect to generate icons. The main issue is that it generates a 48x48 icon.png but the resizing is perfect.

1. Open the titlescreen into this tool. Generate the images.
    2. Open the icon.png into your favorite image editing software.
    3. Remove the border, you'll get a 40x40 picture that you can use with Asdolo software.

Enjoy. :)

Small question, what do you usually do for your custom GBA? Do you add the release date? I know that official GBA games don't have it but I think that if Nintendo decide to release some GBA games a day or another, we'll have the release date on it...
    Also, if you don't keep the release date, how do you manage to center the name of the game? I'm trying to do my own Golden Sun injection, I just did one with the release date, it's pretty neat, it really appears to be 100% official except for the release date obviously.

Last edited by Ekaitz, Aug 26, 2016
    CatmanFan likes this.
  13. CheatFreak47
    OP

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    I don't include release date on GBA games because all officially released GBA games (limited release or not) lack that.
    You center it by autocropping the layer and using the alignment tool.

14. Ekaitz

Ekaitz Redhead Believer

Jun 13, 2010
    France
    Thank you, I just did the graphical ressources for Pokémon Crystal, it looks exactly like the official releases of Pokémon Red/Blue/Yellow. I'll just wait for the injection with the wireless features now :P

I'll probably keep the release date on Golden Sun, I did both version. Please Big-N, release some GBA VC, I want to know which one I should keep. :P

CatmanFan likes this.
  15. CatmanFan

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    Do you think Nintendo's going to hear us? SNES games were released on the New 3DS in March, and Nintendo has no plans yet of releasing GBA yet.

16. Ekaitz

Ekaitz Redhead Believer

Jun 13, 2010
    France
    I still don't understand why the did not release some GBA games. Some of those games are among the best on portable devices... Too bad they did not release those officially. But eh, I don't care, I'll just make some injections. :P

17. CatmanFan

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    They did release those officially...as part of the Nintendo 3DS Ambassador Program. They were not released to the public anyways. :glare:

18. Ekaitz

Ekaitz Redhead Believer

Jun 13, 2010
    France
    I know that, but they did not release alot of those games. Golden Sun for example. :(

CatmanFan likes this.
  19. CatmanFan

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    They only released ten games so far; they did not include games such as Advance Wars, Mario & Luigi, Golden Sun, Sonic Advance or any of the Super Mario Advance games excluding Super Mario Advance 3: Yoshi's Island.

Also @Ekaitz can you post me a screenshot of the Golden Sun injection(s) you made please?

Last edited by CatmanFan, Aug 26, 2016
  20. Ekaitz

Ekaitz Redhead Believer

Jun 13, 2010
    France
    @CatmanFan: I took 2 screenshots.
    The first one is my custom Golden Sun (the version with the release date), next to it is Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones (official Nintendo VC).

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Except for the release date that I decided to keep (because it will look better with others VC... There are only 10 GBA VC but plenty of other systems VC :P I side with the majority here), I honestly think that it's exactly what Nintendo could sell on the eshop. :P (Except the fact that there is no "help", but same goes for my French (60Hz North American, thank you Quebec) version of A Link to the Past (SNES)).

CatmanFan likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted