[Release] GBA VC Banner and Icon Generator

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by TheNerdWIzard, Jun 26, 2015.

1. TheNerdWIzard
    OP

TheNerdWIzard GBAtemp Regular

Jun 7, 2015
    United States
    Edit: Crap, I meant to type GBA not GBC for the title. Thank you Sicklyboy for fixing the title!

I have programmed a useful tool for creating the images that are needed for GBA VC cia creation. Just provide an image of the title screen and the title of the game, and the program does the rest.

Please check out this (the one linked) thread for more about creating GBA VC cias. This thread (the thread you're currently on) is strictly about creating the needed images for the footer.
    https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-agb_firm-signature-patcher-gba-rom-converter.390313/

WARNING: If you click the Create and Save Images button multiple times before loading a new image, it will ruin your banner1 and icon image, so click once and everything should be fine. Will work on a fix. Meanwhile, just load the image again if you clicked twice.

Make sure the .jar file is in its own folder. This is for organizational purposes. The program will generate a folder with the same name as the image you provided. This folder will contain your images once they are created.

Step 1: Obtain a title screen image of the gba game you want banners for. This can be with an emulator's screenshot capabilities, or you can just google for one, it doesn't really matter.

Step 2: Click "Load Image" and select the image you want to use.

Step 3: Enter the title of the game into the input boxes above this message box. If you want the title on a single line on the banner, use only the top box. If you want to split it up on two lines, use both input boxes. There is a max of 24 characters line.

Step 4: Click "Create and Save Images", A folder will be created in the same folder where the .jar file is. This folder will contain your images. There is no prompt to save, the program will do it for you.

DONE!

TL;DR version: Load an image, enter a title, click create and save images, done.

If you don't like that banner2 image it generates for whatever reason, I have provided a template so you can create your own. I might add an option to change the font if people want it.

If you encounter any problems/issues/bug/glitches/whatever please don't hesitate to post them.

If there is any interest for a GB/GBC/NES version, please tell me otherwise I won't consider making one.

Text used for banner2 is arial bolded btw.

One more thing, if there are any programmers reading this, please look though my code and give suggestions on how to improve it. I know some of my code is inefficient, and some of you might facepalm at some or at lot of it. I had to learn a bunch of new things while creating this program.

Changelog:

June 26 2015:
    Version 1.0.1:
    The Banner1 image generated is now a 128x128 image, the only size acceptable by Riku's program for cia creation.

GUI
    [​IMG]

Banner1:
    [​IMG]

Banner2:
    [​IMG]

Icon:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited by TheNerdWIzard, Jun 27, 2015

2. Zap Rowsdower

Zap Rowsdower GBAtemp Regular

Jan 17, 2015
    Canada
    I don't go map findin' behindin'
    Nice job on this!
    Thumbs up from me. I would think people would want that text to look exactly like everything else, and that font isn't real difficult to find.

3. Digital.One.Entity

Digital.One.Entity Banned

Banned
    Jan 19, 2015
    United States
    Right Here
    Wow nice app here gonna put this bad boy to the test :gba: THX a million fellow Temper

TheNerdWIzard likes this.
  4. Keylogger

Keylogger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 3, 2006
    France
    The program says "Error" when I click "Create and save images"..

Tried with another image and it's OK :)

5. TheNerdWIzard
    OP

Jun 7, 2015
    United States
    Test that heck out if it till it breaks! I want to know any problems. Try to make it crash or break everyone!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Maybe I'll add an option for people to load the official font from their computer. First I'm going to wait how people like this program.

Digital.One.Entity likes this.
  6. conradcervantes

conradcervantes GBAtemp Regular

Dec 31, 2013
    United States
    I'm pretty anal when it comes to how the banners and icons look in relation to the legit eShop purchases, so this will be a program I'll be using. Thanks a lot for your work.

7. TheNerdWIzard
    OP

Jun 7, 2015
    United States
    Same here. Remember if you don't like how the banner2 image comes out, just use the template and make it to your liking. I forgot to mention, the icon might be a little bright and a little hard to read, but it's a 48x48 image, so there is little room for detail. I heard for a better way to scale the image, but is it worth going though all that trouble for the icon? I'm sure most people will be ok with it as it is, I hope.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So, someone from that iso site pointed out that the banner1 images created isn't accepted by Riku's program. It has to be 128x128 even though the image is a rectangle, not a square, so blank spaces or whatever the proper term is needs to be added.. I will work on a fix right now.

conradcervantes likes this.
  8. TheNerdWIzard
    OP

Jun 7, 2015
    United States
    Fixed! Now on version 1.0.1. The banner1 image is now accepted by Riku's program. I even made a cia and installed it to make sure the banner1 image was displaying ok.

9. davhuit

davhuit GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 23, 2005
    France
    Thanks.

It'll spare me a lot of time for a better result (not the best at graphic editing).

Edit : Tested, works fine.

Last edited by davhuit, Jun 26, 2015
  10. hippy dave

hippy dave Butts Butts Megabutts

Apr 30, 2012
    Looks great, I'd love to see it with the right font or the ability to choose it :)

11. Ekaitz

Ekaitz Pokémon Master

Jun 13, 2010
    France
    Lens
    Same for me, I would love to see it with the real Virtual Console title fonte used by Nintendo.
    Also, on my VC games from eshop, there is a third line with written "Publié en 19XX" (Published in 19XX). It is smaller than the game title, it would be great if we could add this line using your program.

Otherwise, it's still useful to create blank images with no titles and add it with a picture editing soft.

12. TheNerdWIzard
    OP

Jun 7, 2015
    United States
    Added the a template for the banner2 image because I just realized that I forgot to include that file in with the latest update.

hippy dave likes this.
  13. rotebrotobias

rotebrotobias GBAtemp Maniac

Jan 31, 2015
    Awesome! This will make it a lot easier for the others, but i'm still gonna make it myself. For some reason it feels better to do something by yourself, but this is an amazing tool!

14. 3DxMan

3DxMan Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2015
    United States
    this would be great to have one for nes vc thanks in advance

Last edited by 3DxMan, Oct 15, 2015
    rotebrotobias likes this.
  15. badger_vm

badger_vm Member

Newcomer
    Jan 25, 2015
    I'd love to have a NES/GB/GBC tool too, i have tried making my owns but I find bugs everytime

rotebrotobias likes this.
  16. Baggy Scraggy

Baggy Scraggy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    How do I run this. I've tried running every file in the folders you've included, but nothing comes up.

17. TheNerdWIzard
    OP

Jun 7, 2015
    United States
    Sounds like you downloaded the source code, not the program. The program is next to the source code at the bottom of the first post. Please download "
    GBA_VC_Banner_and_Icon_Generator"

18. Baggy Scraggy

Baggy Scraggy GBAtemp Regular

Jul 29, 2015
    United States
    I figured it out. It kept registering as a winrar archive instead of a .jar file, so I kept extracting it.
    I ran it with java and it worked. Thank you!

19. MichiS97

MichiS97 "Leftist snowflake milennial"

GBAtemp Patron
    MichiS97 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2011
    Gambia, The
    Bavaria
    Dude, a GBC version of this would be really really nice ;)

20. Aurora Wright

Aurora Wright GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 13, 2006
    Italy
    A gb/gbc/nes tool would need to include copyrighted GB/GBC/NES banners (I think Riku's tool actually does include a copyrighted empty gba ambassador game banner :P ) and would require considerably more efforts than generating two PNG images. And besides, you need to unpack the whole GB/GBC/NES NCCH to replace the ROM in the romfs... so at that point, you can as well edit the banner.