How to create official looking Virtual Console Injects

Discussion in '3DS - Tutorials' started by CheatFreak47, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Govhatanks

Govhatanks Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    United States
    Hey. Just started the whole VC injection thing. I got Fire Red to work. If I wanted to inject a ROM hack, how would that be done without breaking the game? I'm running Luma with 11.2 FW btw. Trying to play a FireRed ROMHack. Thx

2. 'Don

'Don Man in a Box

Dec 31, 2015
    Germany
    Hemshof // the cool side of the river
  3. Savvasf

Savvasf Member

Newcomer
    Aug 3, 2016
    Greece
    Imagine If we could do that with .nds roms!There is already virtual console for ds games so why not implement a ds one so we can play ds games off sd card!

4. CheatFreak47
    OP

CheatFreak47 Catgirl Expert

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    That's not how it works.

5. CatmanFan

CatmanFan Anxious and regretful

Aug 14, 2016
    Morocco
    DS VC doesn't exist on the 3DS, but there are methods to run DS games off an SD card with a NDS bootstrap.

6. CheatFreak47
    OP

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    NDS bootstrap is so slow, and TWLoader is an unstable mess, that it's more trouble than it's worth at this point.

CatmanFan likes this.
  7. Alain Desjardins

Alain Desjardins Member

Newcomer
    Sep 6, 2016
    United States
    Isn't that what R4i cards are for? to play NDS games?

8. TheArcadeStriker

TheArcadeStriker GBAtemp Regular

Oct 5, 2016
    Venezuela
    WHAT IS A LOCATION? A MISERABLE PILE OF SECRETS!
    Oh hey CheatFreak47! (I just noticed that you were the OP) I don't know if it can be fixed either, or if someone has done a patch for it, but F-Zero Climax does seem to have a lot of issues for saving (Does not save if not SRAM patched, seems to load default custom tracks and save for one cup with SRAM, but wipes the save after beating another cup). These issues can be fixed for the game? I would love playing the game in the 3DS, since it's kind of a hassle (currently, not for technical, but for other reasons) to get the game in the PSP, and while I can, I don't really feel like emulating the game (Feels a bit odd with a PS2 controller, and even more considering that I would have to use the stick because the d-pad left button is not working) in the PC.

If you can help, I would be very happy!

CatmanFan and CheatFreak47 like this.
  9. CheatFreak47
    OP

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Oh hey, small world I guess.

Yeah, that's an issue I've heard about for a while now but you're the first to give some concrete details about the issue.
    regardless, I honestly don't think there's any easy way to fix these problems but to reverse engineer the 3DS's AGB FIRM and just fix the issues there- and to my knowledge nobody has really managed to properly do anything of the sort.

Hopefully someone with good reverse engineering skills will have a poke at it someday but until then it's just something you'd have to put up with.

10. seseiSeki

seseiSeki Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 26, 2016
    Germany
    Some time ago, I created a thread discussing this issue. Everything I found out was, that F-Zero Climax uses 128k save files which aren't supported by the AGB_Firm. The Pokémon games also have this issue, but it can be bypassed by forcing the game to save to 64k save files, since the second half of their save file isn't that important. I don't think that that's the case for Climax, tho.

Last edited by seseiSeki, Jun 11, 2017
  11. Allav866

Allav866 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2012
    Not sure if anyone else brought this up, but I'm having 2 issues making this look 100% legit.
    First, there's the border:
    Unofficial:
    [​IMG]
    Official:
    [​IMG]

Then, there's the black borders on the top and bottom of the icon. Zero Mission's borders seem smaller:
    [​IMG]

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Last edited by Allav866, Jun 23, 2017
    CatmanFan likes this.
  12. CheatFreak47
    OP

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    Well, you can manually create and import icons, but the color issue I've never noticed before.
    Maybe @Asdolo can change the color or something to match closer?

Also fix your image links, you can't like to an imgur page you need to link to the image itself.

Allav866 and CatmanFan like this.
  13. Allav866

Allav866 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2012
    All it would take is a different number for the color. The default is #FFAF59C2.

14. CheatFreak47
    OP

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    @Allav866 What about the little mini border around the title screen image?

15. Allav866

Allav866 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2012
    @CheatFreak47
    I shrunk the image to be 44x29 px, cropped it to 40 px wide, set the boundary size to 40x40 px, then made sure the black bar on top was 5 px tall, and the one on the bottom 6 px tall.
    [​IMG]
    As for the banner, I got really close to finding a color that perfectly matches the official banner, but comparing it to the image I showed earlier, it's still slightly off. Will fix and report back.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

@CheatFreak47 ...Oh, wait, I see what you mean by the mini border, because I did get the right color for the outer border (#FF8050BA), but the mini border made me think I got it wrong.
    [​IMG]
    How do I change that?

CatmanFan likes this.
  16. Asdolo

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    Hey, sorry for the color thing.

The thing is, to make the banner have a custom color, first I had to convert it to grayscale and then apply the color effect (acording to the selected user color).
    So, to re-create the original purple color I had to find a nice color that, applying the effect, makes a banner similar to the original one.
    If you find the (almost) perfect color, please let me know so I can set it as default for future versions.

Thank you!

CatmanFan and Allav866 like this.
  17. Allav866

Allav866 Member

Newcomer
    Mar 9, 2012
    FF8050BA looks spot-on!

CatmanFan likes this.
  18. Asdolo

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    Thank you for your help!

I have this idea for the new Injector I'm working on:
    First, set FF8050BA as default GBA color.
    Then, if the user does not change the color, I'll just grab the original banner file (with the right purple color) and inject it into the CIA.
    If the user changes the color, then I'll proceed to the color changing process I mentioned a few posts ago.

Enviado desde mi XT1635-02 mediante Tapatalk

19. CheatFreak47
    OP

Oct 11, 2011
    United States
    Michigan, USA
    You may also want to make it so it properly aligns the title screens on the icons, this is the 5th or 6th person I've seen mention that.

20. Asdolo

Asdolo the Hedgehog

Apr 29, 2016
    Argentina
    Buenos Aires
    I'm pretty sure latest versions of my injector makes the icon as official as possible, but I'll totally check it!

Enviado desde mi XT1635-02 mediante Tapatalk

Allav866 likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted