How to change order of hombrew?

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Returnofganon, Sep 7, 2015.

1. Returnofganon
    OP

Returnofganon I pretend like I know what I'm talking about

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Hey semi-noob here with hombrew. As the title states I want to change the order of the hombrew apps that I have on my hombrew channel. I couldn't find any threads talking about it so I'm going to create one. (If this is a dumb question just tell me) Tanks in advance!

2. Psi-hate

Psi-hate GBATemp's Official Psi-Hater

Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Houston
    Try going onto your SD card and change the sorting order by date or time.

3. Returnofganon
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Ok Ill try that in a minute. I'm doing some hex editing rn

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well on my sd card the apps are in alphabetical order, but they are in seemingly a random order when I open up Ironhax

4. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Maybe they are in the order they were added to the card? In that case you could use a FAT sorter application to manually or automatically sort the entries.

5. Returnofganon
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    Hmm how would one do that?

6. suloku

suloku GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 28, 2008
    Sorting should be implemented in the homebrew launcher, I've seen the source and it just lists the files as it gets them
    A 3DS app for sorting would be great, but homebrew launcher doing it is the way to go...

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=fat+sorter

7. WeedZ

WeedZ Possibly an Enlightened Being

GBAtemp Patron
    WeedZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 13, 2015
    United States
    The State of Denial
    Lol wut?

Also, @Returnofganon , as everyone has said, I believe it is in order by timestamp of when it was added to the sd. Just copy everything from the 3ds folder to your pc and copy them back, one at a time, in the order you want them.

I wouldn't use any fat sorter as I don't think it discriminates by directory. Meaning it will break the signiture for your 3ds data on the sd

HaloEffect17 and link6155 like this.
  8. Krude

Krude GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2013
    Gambia, The
    I thought it was Date Added, too, but the last homebrew i added is svdt and itshows up in the middle of the list...

730 likes this.
  9. Returnofganon
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    same

10. HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17 Splatoon Fan

Jul 1, 2015
    Canada
    Yep, that would be the way to go. I couldn't discover any other method that would remedy this. Too bad you can just hold down an app in Homebrew Launcher and move it to another spot in the menu akin to what phone menus normally do. It would make things a whole lot easier.

11. suloku

Apr 28, 2008
    I've modified the homebrew lacuncher to sort by folder name. I love open source. I'll send the code github, see if it can be added.
    I'll try to make it sort by Title though, seems cleaner than folder name and a smdh editor has just popped out.

UPDATE: attached boot.3dsx that sorts per filename. It uses the latest source at github, so there should be no problems.

UPDATE2: been using it for a while and everything is fine (well, there should be no reason for it to not).

I'm working on multi-directory for hbl since it seems easy to add, I can get rid of my pseudo-folders :D

UPDATE 3: https://gbatemp.net/threads/homebrew-launcher-with-sorting-and-folder-support.396793/

Attached Files:

Last edited by suloku, Sep 7, 2015
    HaloEffect17 and 730 like this.
  12. Returnofganon
    OP

Jul 1, 2015
    United States
    :bow: Thank you!

13. suloku

Apr 28, 2008
  14. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    The one I use to sort games on my Gateway can sort individual folders and you can even set the order of files manually. But sorting the entire drive would not harm anything either, the 3DS doesn't care what order the files are in the file allocation table, why would it? If it was that picky then all the 3DS content would stop working every time you copy stuff off and back on the SD card or move the files to another SD card and it would be impossible to fix :P

Not that it matters that much anymore since soluku posted a modified homebrew launcher, but here is the link anyway, for those who are unwilling to use a modded homebrew launcher, or those who want full control of the order their homebrew appears in to for example make the favorite homebrew appear at the top: http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php