ZengAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
How to change my 2DSLL to normal

I got this Device by accident, while I power on this device it automatically boot to command line interface, similar as B9S boot (hold “select” while press power on)

I am curious about what this hacking method, and how to change it back to normal.

When I insert 3DS cartridge, the game could launch successfully. It is so interesting.

Attachments

• IMG_7059.jpeg
    IMG_7059.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_7057.jpeg
    IMG_7057.jpeg
    506.5 KB · Views: 6

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
That interface is the Test Menu, which is an alternative to the Home Menu and is used on test units:
https://www.3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Development_Unit_GUI#Test_Menu
More info about dev software here. Does DevMenu (title manager) launches if you press START? If it does, see if there's a title named "Config" in the list, that's where you can switch between Test and Home menus.

Since it plays retail cartridges normally, then it's likely not a real test unit, but a regular retail one with dev titles installed, but the question is whether only a few of those titles were installed, or it was a "full" conversion, similar to this guide by @rvtr.
If I'm not mistaken, for the Test Menu to work a console must be running some CFW that can enable dev UNITINFO (like Luma or CakesFW); does any kind of menu appear when you launch it holding any of the buttons, for example L or SELECT, or if there's any unusual files on the SD card?
Perhaps the best thing to do would be to ask for help at Nintendo Homebrew on Discord to get a better understanding of what exactly was done to that console and how to revert it.

Reactions: rvtr

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
If I'm not mistaken, for the Test Menu to work a console must be running some CFW that can enable dev UNITINFO (like Luma or CakesFW);
Definitely will need CFW in order to work. The Test Menu won't load if you don't have some way to set UNITINFO.

As redunka said, try booting DevMenu and then Config. That'll get rid of the Test Menu. After that you can use your 3DS like normal, or install retail firmware to replace the dev one. (though at that point replacing isn't needed since the normal home menu is close enough on dev/retail)

Reactions: redunka

ZengAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Definitely will need CFW in order to work. The Test Menu won't load if you don't have some way to set UNITINFO.

As redunka said, try booting DevMenu and then Config. That'll get rid of the Test Menu. After that you can use your 3DS like normal, or install retail firmware to replace the dev one. (though at that point replacing isn't needed since the normal home menu is close enough on dev/retail)
thanks for your kind feedback.

and it maybe a little difficult for me to proceed changing the system.

like in the guide,it should be CFW installed first then change to this test system, so I tried to hold “select” or “start” to boot up the console, intend to boot to luma or home brewed system. Nothing changed, always boot to this test system page.

So I think I lost here, don’t know how to proceed the work to make this device back to normal.

—————-
BTW, I tested the 3DS card marked “JPN” and “US” both running successful. So I am thinking this device is cracked and patched to accept all region cartridges.

The strange thing is the luma interface cannot be called out…

ZengAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
no, when I power on it directly boot to the command line page, no matter tf card exist nor not.
While i think maybe press “Start” will make some difference, the console return error feedback.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
I've dealt with that error code before. DevMenu doesn't exist, or isn't bootable.

Since you can't enter CFW (?) or DevMenu you'll have to look at using ntrboot to fix the firmware. I can help you with that if you have/can get ntrboot.

Also just curious, where did you get this? Hoping it wasn't a seller faking dev units/prototypes, I've had that come from a couple of my guides... :glare:
Post automatically merged:

Sorry for double post, just checked my list of SystemUpdaters (required for my guide to "convert" to dev).

I don't even have 0.25.17 on my list, so could this be legit retail dev somehow? Would go with not being able to open luma.
IMG_7143.jpeg

Last edited by rvtr,

ZengAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I've dealt with that error code before. DevMenu doesn't exist, or isn't bootable.

Since you can't enter CFW (?) or DevMenu you'll have to look at using ntrboot to fix the firmware. I can help you with that if you have/can get ntrboot.

Also just curious, where did you get this? Hoping it wasn't a seller faking dev units/prototypes, I've had that come from a couple of my guides... :glare:

Sorry for double post, just checked my list of SystemUpdaters (required for my guide to "convert" to dev).

I don't even have 0.25.17 on my list, so could this be legit retail dev somehow? Would go with not being able to open luma.
View attachment 459295
thanks for your kind feedback.

I brought this device from 2nd hand website, the seller said it is a junk and can’t boot up, while the screen seems intact but no guarantee, the price is very cheap approximately 20 USD.

When I got it, I found the upper lcd ribbing cable not properly inserted. After replug, it boot successfully and make me feel curious about it.

BTW, what is the NTRBoot? A device or a software kit?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
BTW, what is the NTRBoot? A device or a software kit?
ntrboot requires a DS flash cart that has been flashed with a particular ROM. It is possible to buy carts that are pre-flashed, or you can flash it yourself.

A flash cart with ntrboot can be used to boot a 3DS that is otherwise unusable, typically by directing the unit to boot off another firmware payload on the SD card. (Usually this would be the boot9strap installer, but godmode9 and even Luma can be booted as well.)
https://3ds.hacks.guide/ntrboot

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
Talked with a friend and we figured out what your 3DS is (maybe).

In the factory they use a temporary firmware which looks pretty much the same as dev. Your 3DS was probably only halfway through factory testing and somehow got into the hands of the seller (factory e-waste probably). This would explain dev firmware with no CFW.

Definitely look into ntrboot, and before you edit NAND to add a proper firmware, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE get in touch in private messages because I'd love to take a look at the NAND dump. I haven't actually had the chance to view a 3DS NAND that is still in testing. (and who knows, maybe there's a factory tool installed)

redunka

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I'm a bit curious about this console's serial number. According to 3dbrew, real dev and kiosk New 2DS units have "01" as first digits, I wonder whether this one is like that or has a "normal" retail serial instead? Well, it's a really interesting find either way, so I hope its NAND gets preserved and studied!

ZengAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
thanks for your guidance.

i will check the ntr method,maybe I would operate under your guidance while dump. I am not experienced with it.

ZengAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm a bit curious about this console's serial number. According to 3dbrew, real dev and kiosk New 2DS units have "01" as first digits, I wonder whether this one is like that or has a "normal" retail serial instead? Well, it's a really interesting find either way, so I hope its NAND gets preserved and studied!
I share the same feeling with curious about this device and I even ask the seller how he got this device, but the seller seems ignored my question no feedback.

And I don’t know how to check its s/n, is there possible way or guidance to proceed?

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Canada
And I don’t know how to check its s/n, is there possible way or guidance to proceed?
See if there's the label on the back, otherwise you will have to check when you do ntrboot.

Though I was just wondering about the serial being set in NAND, less so on the shell.

ZengAustin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
I'm guessing it'll be a normal retail serial. Or blank? I'm not actually too familiar with what gets set up when in the 3DS factory process... I should probably look into that tonight.
Thanks👍

See if there's the label on the back, otherwise you will have to check when you do ntrboot.

Though I was just wondering about the serial being set in NAND, less so on the shell.
sorry,this device is sold as junk, there is no back cover, and I checked pcb seems no label available.

The only way I know to check s/n, is using 3dsident. Since the system can only boot to the command line interface, I have no idea to proceed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 3
Last edited by ZengAustin,
Reactions: redunka and rvtr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat