ROM Hack How to apply english Patch to Jap games ?

Depravo

KALSARIKÄNNIT
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Follow the instructions that came with the patch (usually on a readme.txt file or similar). If you've misplaced these instructions then tell us exactly which game and exactly which patch you have.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There are various patching methods out there and rom hackers use several, it is best to find the release notes/post/NFO/readme that is bundled with the patch and go from there but if not

The extension the patch file uses is usually the name of the patching method and the usual ones are

IPS- old/primitive and not really used for all but the most basic hacks as it has a lot of limitations and tends to be for older roms or as part of a batch (more on that later)

UPS- made as a successor to IPS to remove some limits, has not found much use in the DS world but has some in patches on other platforms.

PPF- originally made for the original playstation I have seen two or three DS patches with it and a slew of Wii ones. Some issues with patch formats changing.

ninja- another potential successor to IPS it did not catch on all that much but I have seen it done.

Xdelta- used by many hackers around here (pretty much as that was what the earlier DS hackers settled upon). No official extension but delta or xdelta or something along those lines is most common (read the patch NFO/release notes/readme and it should tell you).

BSDiff- used more commonly by members of the scene proper for trainer patches but used by a few translation hackers as well. In the larger world of patches BSDiff and xdelta are rivals of a sort although frankly for rom hacking purposes they are as good as each other (they both tend to produce patches small enough for distribution that are fast and do the job).

Batch- DS roms are made of files so some hacks deconstruct the rom, patch the files themselves and rebuild the rom (can make for smaller files than the previously mentioned methods).

DPS- basically a customised batch file and patching method made by deufeufeu for his Jump Ultimate Stars patch. Not sure if anything else uses it.

After this people tend to make their own patching executables or formats (PDS being an example) with the custom patchers you can find.

Frankly though I have just wasted your time. Head on down to http://www.romhacking.net/?category=2&...itle=&desc= and match up the extension to the description and use one of those. There are a few more frontends around as well if you fancy searching but those on the link should have you covered.

RockStar2012

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cross Treasures is the game am trying to patch.. the only thing is a file and no patch progrem.. I remember usually there is a patch progrem that go with it

wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
RockStar2012 said:
Cross Treasures is the game am trying to patch.. the only thing is a file and no patch progrem.. I remember usually there is a patch progrem that go with it
what kind of file is it ?

.xedelta or anything else ?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."