Gaming How Much Would It Cost To Replace A Laptop Keyboard?

mrtimotei

No More Heroes
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a Dell Studio 1555 Laptop.

Due to the fact that my "W" key is broken, I need to know,

About how much would it cost to replace the keyboard?

P.S. The way I currently type "W" is by pressing "Page Up." Obvioulsy, this makes playing games like Team Fortress 2 and Garry's Mod a pain in the ass... Forcing me to rebind the controls to different keys, which sucks...

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Have you tried calling Dell technical support? Or the retailer where you got the laptop from? Or any PC repair shop?

The easiest way would be to simply get a replacement key from eBay, then stick it in. Of course, that depends on the type of keyboard it is.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've replaced the keyboard on my Dell Latitude D830 twice. Each was just a cheap $10 keyboard bought off eBay. I would assume that most other Dells are equally replaceable, but it could really vary by model. Just check out the instructions online before buying. On mine, I have to take off a faceplate cover by the hinge, remove 3 screws, and pull the keyboard out by flipping it forward to gain access to the plug. Just remove the plug, and reverse the process with the new keyboard.

Reactions: 1 person

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you mean actual dud keyboard and not just a single key cap being AWOL in which case even natural keyboards usually have a few rare keys you can sacrifice.

Depending upon the age of the device (think ram prices for an equivalent pricing model) and the type of it (netbooks seem to run that little bit more) all the ones I have replaced tend to run about the price of a game through to you have probably paid more for shipping at various points in time.

Ease- some are simple screws and a ribbon or plug, some want fiddling with bits of plastic and some almost require a teardown of the bottom half.

I should also say it might be an idea to get a USB keyboard or something and if you really must a roll up keyboard as well for when out and about if it really worries you. Far cheaper and far easier.

Edit- I just looked. The backlight thing they seem to have going on might cost you a bit depending upon how they have done it.

fgghjjkll

GBATemp MegaMan
Trophies
XP
Keyboards are pretty cheap, nowadays, although backlit keyboards and normal keyboards usually have different ribbon connectors, so be careful on what you buy.
If possible, contact the supplier and compare part numbers.

Once you recieve the keyboard, it's pretty evident on what screws you gotta take off, but for dells, you generally take of the plastic with them power buttons and media keys or w/e.
This can be done with a flat head screw driver inserted at a small groove which is between the laptop itself and that plastic strip.
From there you can take off screws and replace it.

Dells are nice because their keyboards are so easy to replace ;)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah speaking of numbers I forgot to say it last time and it is definitely the case with laptop screens but I find for the exact same item something like

Dell Studio 1555 Laptop replacement keyboard gets one high price (going on amazon about $50 US by the time all is said and done)
Dell's internal manual part number a slightly lower price
The manufacturer number as stamped on the part somewhere a lower price still.

I can not seem to find the latter two properly but NSK-DCM01 0C569K nets you what appears to be the same device for about $35.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @K3Nv2, and sticky