How much acreage is required for cattle

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Zhongtiao1, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Zhongtiao1 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    Say I wanted to buy land, and I also wanted to buy a bunch of cows. How much land would I need to adequately serve a population of about 10 cows and 3 bulls?

Ryccardo likes this.
  2. Costello

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I would say about 12

Warning: Spoilers inside!

3. Veho

Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2006
    Croatia
    Zagreb
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

AlanJohn, sarkwalvein, Red771 and 6 others like this.
  4. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    Thanks!

Pfft, where else would I ask? The local grange? Nah. Obviously GBATemp is the best place for this.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Maybe... :ph34r:

5. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    He's had enough Harvest Moon and wants to try the real deal for himself

Seriel, Flame, zfreeman and 2 others like this.
  6. Haloman800

Haloman800 a real gril

Dec 18, 2009
    United States
    1 cow per 1.5 to 2 acres, so for 10-13 cows you'd need approximately 20 aces.

7. x65943

x65943 Dr. Rabbi Prince X, Sr., Ed. D.

GBAtemp Patron
    x65943 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 23, 2014
    United States
    Midwest
    The real answer is it really depends

Are you running a feedlot or a pasture?

If you are feeding the cows, you can really keep them all on a very small area

If you are hoping for them to sustain themselves from your field, it is going to depend on climate and severity of winters

In poor climates you may need 3 acres per cattle, in good northern California pasture you may get away with 1 acre per cow

But again to stress this, if you feed them you can factory farm it and stack them all in just a few acres

8. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    As with others I would have to ask why a predominantly gaming forum would be expected to cough up answers here. Anyway it would depend where you are (some borderline desert somewhere* will have less nice grass than the shoulder high stuff I will have to wander through if I go into my neighbours cow fields), what breeds you want (while not quite as spectacular as the likes of dogs there is still some considerable variability in size, feed and environmental requirements), what their purpose is (milking cows tend to benefit from far more than simple beef, show or leather cows), whether you want to supplement their diet in general or during the winter with hay/feed, to say nothing of the option to make your own hay if you have enough land.

If you are asking this sort of thing though then you probably want to spend some time learning about how to handle cattle (if you are only after experience then there are plenty of places to get some of that) as it is not the sort of thing I would jump right into without knowing what goes -- few goats, sheep, pigs... fine to jump right in and have a vet, pen for them and diet list but start getting into things like cows and horses and you want to know what you are doing.

9. matthi321

matthi321 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 14, 2013
    depends how much you care about their wellbeing i gues

10. Zhongtiao1
    OP

Feb 24, 2015
    United States
    It would be pasture, rather than a pen, and I'd be getting heifers. Honestly, where I live there probably isn't enough flat land to make a hay farm. Grass shouldn't be an issue though as we have plenty of rain.

11. RandomUser

RandomUser What has gotten into you Rosie?

May 9, 2010
    United States
    Best thing to do is find out what is the minimum acreage requirement per livestock. Some states may impose something like 5 acres for one livestock and 1 acre for every livestock thereafter. Other may have a flat minimum and some may not have any requirement, however pretty sure it would have to be either zoned residential and/or agricultural. If I had to guess I think 20 acres for bare minimum requirement and 40 acres recommended. You will need space for a barn and that barn can serve as a storage area for feeds and what nots as well as shelter. If bailing your own bail, then perhaps 120 acres should be sufficient and completely flat land is not necessary but ideal. Also should get a property that has a pond so they can go into it and cool of during the summer months. Cows will go in it to cool off.
    • It is also very important to avoid letting your bail of hey get excessively moist. Excessive moisture can lead to some unpleasant surprise.
    • Be prepared for unexpected and massively expensive expenses, vet bills for livestock are not cheap.
    • Please do not be that neighbor who uses inadequate fencing and/or lack of maintenance of said fencing, which in turns allows livestock to roam the neighbor's yard. It can get very annoying for the neighbor.
    • Be prepared for having a mouse haven. You will attract a lot of mouse and maybe even rats.

12. cauliquackers

cauliquackers Member

Newcomer
    Wednesday
    United States
    Are you going for efficiency or style? Stack'em vertically and you can get both.

13. Ryccardo

Ryccardo and his tropane alkaloids

Feb 13, 2015
    Italy
    Imola
    Consider a spherical cow...

14. sarkwalvein

sarkwalvein There's hope for a Xenosaga port.

GBAtemp Patron
    sarkwalvein is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 29, 2007
    Germany
    Niedersachsen
    Spherical cows might seem efficient and very resistant at first, but in reality they lack stacking stability and you waste 9.31% of your land area.
    For improved stability and more efficient land usage try with hexagonal cows.

Ryccardo likes this.
  15. cauliquackers

cauliquackers Member

Newcomer
    Wednesday
    United States
    And for the best structural integrity, try pyramidal ones

sarkwalvein likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted