How much acreage is required for cattle

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
PS: why. Why, on a gaming forum of all places, would you ask a question like that

I guess he thinks Tempers are experts at cattle farming, given how much bullshit we spout :tpi:

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say about 12

Thanks!

PS: why. Why, on a gaming forum of all places, would you ask a question like that

Pfft, where else would I ask? The local grange? Nah. Obviously GBATemp is the best place for this.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I guess he thinks Tempers are experts at cattle farming, given how much bullshit we spout :tpi:

Maybe... :ph34r:

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say about 12

He's had enough Harvest Moon and wants to try the real deal for himself

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The real answer is it really depends

Are you running a feedlot or a pasture?

If you are feeding the cows, you can really keep them all on a very small area

If you are hoping for them to sustain themselves from your field, it is going to depend on climate and severity of winters

In poor climates you may need 3 acres per cattle, in good northern California pasture you may get away with 1 acre per cow

But again to stress this, if you feed them you can factory farm it and stack them all in just a few acres

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
As with others I would have to ask why a predominantly gaming forum would be expected to cough up answers here. Anyway it would depend where you are (some borderline desert somewhere* will have less nice grass than the shoulder high stuff I will have to wander through if I go into my neighbours cow fields), what breeds you want (while not quite as spectacular as the likes of dogs there is still some considerable variability in size, feed and environmental requirements), what their purpose is (milking cows tend to benefit from far more than simple beef, show or leather cows), whether you want to supplement their diet in general or during the winter with hay/feed, to say nothing of the option to make your own hay if you have enough land.

If you are asking this sort of thing though then you probably want to spend some time learning about how to handle cattle (if you are only after experience then there are plenty of places to get some of that) as it is not the sort of thing I would jump right into without knowing what goes -- few goats, sheep, pigs... fine to jump right in and have a vet, pen for them and diet list but start getting into things like cows and horses and you want to know what you are doing.

Reactions: Julie_Pilgrim

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As with others I would have to ask why a predominantly gaming forum would be expected to cough up answers here. Anyway it would depend where you are (some borderline desert somewhere* will have less nice grass than the shoulder high stuff I will have to wander through if I go into my neighbours cow fields), what breeds you want (while not quite as spectacular as the likes of dogs there is still some considerable variability in size, feed and environmental requirements), what their purpose is (milking cows tend to benefit from far more than simple beef, show or leather cows), whether you want to supplement their diet in general or during the winter with hay/feed, to say nothing of the option to make your own hay if you have enough land.

If you are asking this sort of thing though then you probably want to spend some time learning about how to handle cattle (if you are only after experience then there are plenty of places to get some of that) as it is not the sort of thing I would jump right into without knowing what goes -- few goats, sheep, pigs... fine to jump right in and have a vet, pen for them and diet list but start getting into things like cows and horses and you want to know what you are doing.

It would be pasture, rather than a pen, and I'd be getting heifers. Honestly, where I live there probably isn't enough flat land to make a hay farm. Grass shouldn't be an issue though as we have plenty of rain.

RandomUser

Rosalina in Plush Form
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Best thing to do is find out what is the minimum acreage requirement per livestock. Some states may impose something like 5 acres for one livestock and 1 acre for every livestock thereafter. Other may have a flat minimum and some may not have any requirement, however pretty sure it would have to be either zoned residential and/or agricultural. If I had to guess I think 20 acres for bare minimum requirement and 40 acres recommended. You will need space for a barn and that barn can serve as a storage area for feeds and what nots as well as shelter. If bailing your own bail, then perhaps 120 acres should be sufficient and completely flat land is not necessary but ideal. Also should get a property that has a pond so they can go into it and cool of during the summer months. Cows will go in it to cool off.
  • It is also very important to avoid letting your bail of hey get excessively moist. Excessive moisture can lead to some unpleasant surprise.
  • Be prepared for unexpected and massively expensive expenses, vet bills for livestock are not cheap.
  • Please do not be that neighbor who uses inadequate fencing and/or lack of maintenance of said fencing, which in turns allows livestock to roam the neighbor's yard. It can get very annoying for the neighbor.
  • Be prepared for having a mouse haven. You will attract a lot of mouse and maybe even rats.

sarkwalvein

There's hope for a Xenosaga port.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Consider a spherical cow...
Spherical cows might seem efficient and very resistant at first, but in reality they lack stacking stability and you waste 9.31% of your land area.
For improved stability and more efficient land usage try with hexagonal cows.

Dinoduck

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be pasture, rather than a pen, and I'd be getting heifers. Honestly, where I live there probably isn't enough flat land to make a hay farm. Grass shouldn't be an issue though as we have plenty of rain.

I guess you should ask such questions here https://cattletoday.com/forum/index.php.
How do you suppose to gather grass by the way? Just curious because my father, an old-school farmer would say you'll need something like this to make hays on your own. And yeah, 20 acres sound like a good choice.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs