How many of you have a credit card?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by War, Feb 8, 2009.

Feb 8, 2009
  1. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    I've been looking up info on getting my own credit card... I want to get a PayPal so I can buy/sell stuff, and my mom won't let me use her credit card, so I'm trying to figure out how to get my own. Apparently they only give them to college students or people over 18, so it looks like I'm screwed... though my mom says that Wells Fargo will let a minor have a credit card as long as they deposit 300 bucks first. I know a ton of users here have PayPal, so how do you guys do it? Do you use your parent's card or something? (I'm talking to the minors)

2. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    You can use a savings account with paypal

3. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    Or a chequing account.

4. JPH

Banned JPH Banned

United States
    Just get a debit card.

I had the choice to get a debit card or a credit card (I believe my aunt would have to cosign or something), but the debit card seemed liked the safer route: you can only use the debit card if you've got money in your account.

Another plus is that you can run the card as credit if you want at most places and of course, you can use it online and link it with your Paypal.

5. Edgedancer

Member Edgedancer Director of Moon based operations

Australia
    I use my moms account for any internet banking but I usually inform her of what I am getting so she has no issues with it.

6. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    I always found it weird that American kids don't usually have debit cards... I would say 95% of kids in Canada ages 13+ have debit cards

7. War
    OP

Member War Take it easy~

Japan
    Well my mom has her mind set on wanting me to start getting good credit...

8. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    A lot of banks don't allow minors to get debit cards here

9. Rock Raiyu

Member Rock Raiyu Clock Up

United States
    I have a debit card. They are a safer route to take then a credit card I agree, when I get the money, I give it to my mom so she can put it on the card.

10. Canonbeat234

Member Canonbeat234 Redeemed Temper

Japan
    Right now this topic makes me feel real stupid --

11. Diablo1123

Member Diablo1123 Newcomer

United States
    Same. =D

12. Anakir

Member Anakir Project: Melee

Canada
    I thought banks only register credit cards only if you have a stable job? Mine expects around $900+ a month in order for me to get a credit card. I don't make that much since I'm a full time student.. so I had it branched off my mom's account.

13. skyman747

Member skyman747 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I always get a $200 Visa Giftcard for my B-Day, then I get a $50 one on xmas. Lasts me through the year.

14. BiscuitBee

Member BiscuitBee Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug

Canada
    Three credit cards and a "debit" card here for me. It's good for building credit. Buy something once a month and pay it off on time. Rinse, repeat, ???, Good Credit (Profit). Just... umm, don't get carried away. Make sure you get that account to ZERO every time or else it's a down-ward spiral.

15. Searinox

Member Searinox Just a taste~ ;3

Romania
    I would say Romania is on par with Canada in terms of debit cards. I and most of the people I know have debit cards. ING is offering a 100% tax-free service to those who are under age 26, some kinda Student thing. They're very appealing and can quickly be set up with PayPal.

16. nin10do

Member nin10do GBAtemp Fan

Taiwan
    credit cards usually have hidden fees associated with them. I use a debit card with my paypal account.

i have two debit accounts. when i buy something online i use one account in which i only keep a small amount of money. that way if i get scammed online, at least i won't loose too much.

17. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    If I am not going to barter/trade other valuable items (which I am to understand is probably illegal) I am an all cash kind of person (even to the point where I "rent" as it were other debit/credit cards from people) but I do have a debit card somewhere around here.
    Debit cards can put you in debt though (my account has a £200 limit and £300 guarantee for which they charge a great amount, this is on the very low end of the scale though) but not half as much as a credit card (which as the name implies is all credit)

Credit cards for students: interesting, over here most banks are hell bent on getting students to have a credit card (to the point where they offer accounts twice as "good" as regular accounts). Nicely most people I met avoided them like the plague.

One thing I will say. If you are going for online get two cards and only use one for online. In the online account have it so you have to transfer money into the account for it to work (most fraud protection is next to useless from banks and only serves to get in your way and say "sorry for your loss, get lost" if the time comes. Goes some way to stopping impulse buying as well.

As for paypal I think I have an account but I dislike it very much and never use it so I will duck out there.

18. UltraMagnus

Member UltraMagnus hic sunt dracones

United Kingdom
    ditto, in the UK i had a debit card at about 14 i think, the only difference being that they don't offer overdrafts to anyone under 18.

i still prefer to pay with cash in person though... saves all the hassle of pin numbers and crap.

19. OSW

Former Staff OSW Wii King

Australia
    Here in melbourne (maybe whole aus?), many youths have debit cards like me.

They are very easy to get, no fees, no hassle, and mine is linked to paypal.

When i got it i could finally make the kinds of online purchases that i wanted. For years my parents had refused me to let them use their cards out of fear for their safety lol.

20. Rayder

Former Staff Rayder Mostly lurking lately....

United States
    My dad always told me, "Credit cards are the fastest way to go broke." I have never had a credit card. I do have a debit card that can be used as a credit card, but that's just based on what you have in your bank account. They work just as well for online purchases and Paypal.