War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
I've been looking up info on getting my own credit card... I want to get a PayPal so I can buy/sell stuff, and my mom won't let me use her credit card, so I'm trying to figure out how to get my own. Apparently they only give them to college students or people over 18, so it looks like I'm screwed... though my mom says that Wells Fargo will let a minor have a credit card as long as they deposit 300 bucks first. I know a ton of users here have PayPal, so how do you guys do it? Do you use your parent's card or something? (I'm talking to the minors)

JPH

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
Website
jphtemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Just get a debit card.

I had the choice to get a debit card or a credit card (I believe my aunt would have to cosign or something), but the debit card seemed liked the safer route: you can only use the debit card if you've got money in your account.

Another plus is that you can run the card as credit if you want at most places and of course, you can use it online and link it with your Paypal.

science

science rules
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
jph said:
Just get a debit card.

I had the choice to get a debit card or a credit card (I believe my aunt would have to cosign or something), but the debit card seemed liked the safer route: you can only use the debit card if you've got money in your account.

Another plus is that you can run the card as credit if you want at most places and of course, you can use it online and link it with your Paypal.

I always found it weird that American kids don't usually have debit cards... I would say 95% of kids in Canada ages 13+ have debit cards

Anakir

Project: Melee
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I thought banks only register credit cards only if you have a stable job? Mine expects around $900+ a month in order for me to get a credit card. I don't make that much since I'm a full time student.. so I had it branched off my mom's account.

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Three credit cards and a "debit" card here for me. It's good for building credit. Buy something once a month and pay it off on time. Rinse, repeat, ???, Good Credit (Profit). Just... umm, don't get carried away. Make sure you get that account to ZERO every time or else it's a down-ward spiral.

Searinox

"Dances" with Dragons
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I would say Romania is on par with Canada in terms of debit cards. I and most of the people I know have debit cards. ING is offering a 100% tax-free service to those who are under age 26, some kinda Student thing. They're very appealing and can quickly be set up with PayPal.

nin10do

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
credit cards usually have hidden fees associated with them. I use a debit card with my paypal account.

i have two debit accounts. when i buy something online i use one account in which i only keep a small amount of money. that way if i get scammed online, at least i won't loose too much.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I am not going to barter/trade other valuable items (which I am to understand is probably illegal) I am an all cash kind of person (even to the point where I "rent" as it were other debit/credit cards from people) but I do have a debit card somewhere around here.
Debit cards can put you in debt though (my account has a £200 limit and £300 guarantee for which they charge a great amount, this is on the very low end of the scale though) but not half as much as a credit card (which as the name implies is all credit)

Credit cards for students: interesting, over here most banks are hell bent on getting students to have a credit card (to the point where they offer accounts twice as "good" as regular accounts). Nicely most people I met avoided them like the plague.

One thing I will say. If you are going for online get two cards and only use one for online. In the online account have it so you have to transfer money into the account for it to work (most fraud protection is next to useless from banks and only serves to get in your way and say "sorry for your loss, get lost" if the time comes. Goes some way to stopping impulse buying as well.

As for paypal I think I have an account but I dislike it very much and never use it so I will duck out there.

UltraMagnus

hic sunt dracones
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
science said:
jph said:
Just get a debit card.

I always found it weird that American kids don't usually have debit cards... I would say 95% of kids in Canada ages 13+ have debit cards

ditto, in the UK i had a debit card at about 14 i think, the only difference being that they don't offer overdrafts to anyone under 18.

i still prefer to pay with cash in person though... saves all the hassle of pin numbers and crap.

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Here in melbourne (maybe whole aus?), many youths have debit cards like me.

They are very easy to get, no fees, no hassle, and mine is linked to paypal.

When i got it i could finally make the kinds of online purchases that i wanted. For years my parents had refused me to let them use their cards out of fear for their safety lol.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My dad always told me, "Credit cards are the fastest way to go broke." I have never had a credit card. I do have a debit card that can be used as a credit card, but that's just based on what you have in your bank account. They work just as well for online purchases and Paypal.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://youtu.be/e1G3aKJ3g18?feature=shared