Hacking How many cIOS's are there anyway?

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Macedonia, The Former Yugoslav Republic of
I know this is something I shouldn't be asking by now, but either people use the term wrong or I'm missing something.

As far as I know there is only one cIOS and that's the cIOS of IOS36 (IOS36-64-v1042) which is updated/turned into a cIOS using the cIOS installer. Latest version of that is revision 09.

Are there any other custom IOS's I'm not aware of because as far as I know this is the only one I have installed on my Wii, I'd check with Title Lister but I'm not on my good TV and I can't read squat on this one lol

Adr990

To boldly go where no man has gone before!
Trophies
Website
www.hyrule.net
XP
Country
Netherlands
cIOS 249
cIOS 254
cIOS 222
cIOS 202

All other Nintendo IOS's can be patched...
Popular:
cIOS 37 (Wanky rev 1 tell rev 3)
cIOS 36 (Wanky rev 4 till rev 9)

(IOS 30 = Disc channel...)
(IOS 9 = Zelda)
(IOS 16 = A official not public released IOS.wad That did had old not fixed leaks in it... - Fixed when 4.0 came out.)
(cMIOS = Custom Gamecube "Firmware")
(MIOS = Official Gamecube "Firmware")

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
There are tons of cIOS. What do you want to know ecactly?

There are the cIOS from Waninkoko and WiiGator which are all installed as IOS249 and are used by Gamma, WAD Manager, the gc launcher and the usb launcher

There is PatchMii which is installed as IOS254

There are cIOS based on IOS37 especially made for Rock Band usb instruments and backups(and customs as well), these can be installed anywhere(normally as IOS248 or IOS232)

There are the cIOS from cioccorp, which replace every other IOS these are cIOS9, cIOS15, cIOS21, cIOS28, cIOS30, cIOS33... and many more

There are the 2 different usb cIOS from Kwiirk which are installed as IOS202 or IOS222

and probably more

WiiMonkey

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Wanky, that made me laugh
smile.gif

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
wow
XFD

guess I didn't have to install all that because I already have a Wiikey...or I installed them and forgot about it :wtf:

When I install new IOS's since I don't have a wireless connection I just look for WADs, install that, like for IOS38, IOS53 and IOS55 for madworld and that's it.
The only cIOS I've ever installed was whatever happens when you patch IOS36 with the cIOS installer.

guess this is a tad more complex than I thought and I actually have no idea what I'm talking about.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
It's not your fault your lost, most of us are because of the naming of these files.

cIOS249 doesn't tell me anything about what it actually is, just "where" it will be stored (sorta)

To explain briefly 249 is like a space that only 1 IOS can be in. It could be ANY IOS, cIOS.

imho, the naming should change to reflect WHAT it is EG:

cIOS36.rev9

The 249 is irrelevant until you come to installing it, say an app might require it installed to 249, or 202. The app will look at that "place" to load the IOS from.

So cIOS249 could be.... well anything, however cIOS36.rev9 is IOS 36, edited for the 9th time. You can then go read what it does and why, try searching for what cIOS249 is though, and again you'll feel lost.

I really hope that in the future people can stick to a naming convention as many "scenes" do.

Shinigami Kiba

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I see, thanks.
so basically in the case of a file named cIOS249-IOS36 the 249 indicates the "cluster" where the IOS would be installed? like when you do a hard drive surface check and it checks individual clusters that are numbered?

Well now I understand this a bit more, but how do we know which of the numbers represent the cluster and which the IOS version when someone say, releases a new cIOS or talks about one, how would I know whether they're talking about the IOS name/number or the cluster if they only include one name and not the full (i.e cIOS249-IOS36-rev09)

That IOS222 some people install, not sure what it's for for example, is this the IOS name or the cluster location 222 where the IOS will be installed?

The reason I'm trying to get this all cleared up a bit more is because due to the lack of internet on my Wii I have to do these things manually and look for wads and crap myself so I might as well learn about them lol
I think I understand it more now even though I'm not a very computer savvy guy

D

Deleted User

Shinigami Kiba said:
I see, thanks.
so basically in the case of a file named cIOS249-IOS36 the 249 indicates the "cluster" where the IOS would be installed? like when you do a hard drive surface check and it checks individual clusters that are numbered?
For the last time, THERE IS NO CIOS249. Think about it, "Custom IOS 249". If so, Ninty would develop IOS 249 and a dude would patch it, then CIOS249 exists. For now, it doesn't exist.

Well now I understand this a bit more, but how do we know which of the numbers represent the cluster and which the IOS version when someone say, releases a new cIOS or talks about one, how would I know whether they're talking about the IOS name/number or the cluster if they only include one name and not the full (i.e cIOS249-IOS36-rev09)
Get the official release rather than some stupid site. You know there's official offline method, don't you?

That IOS222 some people install, not sure what it's for for example, is this the IOS name or the cluster location 222 where the IOS will be installed?
Cluster location 222.

The reason I'm trying to get this all cleared up a bit more is because due to the lack of internet on my Wii I have to do these things manually and look for wads and crap myself so I might as well learn about them lol
I think I understand it more now even though I'm not a very computer savvy guy

Let me straight things up for you.

cIOS36 rev09. It means that IOS 36 is patched for the ninth time.

IOS222. It means that the IOS is installed with the number "222"

IOS249. It means that the IOS is installed with the number "249"

cIOS249. (If it exists) It means that the IOS 249 is patched. Which is not possible since cIOS Installers by Wanky and Wiigator
installs on the number "249" with the source IOS being IOS 36.

Next time, please ask in the NOOB Section. Your question might be outrageous, but it's still, a noob question./

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ptLqnNMcQk