How do I install an older revisions of cios for better emunand compatibility?

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The emunand compatibility list makes it seem as if I should be able to get most n64 games working with a combination of cios revisions.

https://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Wii_cIOS_EmuNAND_Compatibility_List

But how do I go about installing these older revisions (rev17, rev19, etc). They don't seem to be selectable in the latest d2x installer. Where do I procure them, and what ios base do I install them onto?

Is it preferable to just use neek for ones that aren't currently working?

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
From your past posts/threads - You're seem to be having a lot of mixed issues.
Better if you focus on 1-at-a-time. Test for success & then continue to the next.
Apps have come a long way since ..... Well ? Not trying to make you feel old ;)

You could save heaps of time & sanity by using ModMii.
Please, have a good long read at what ModMii can do, & then read some more for satisfaction.
XFlak has done the hard work in many ways :)
https://github.com/modmii/modmii.github.io

Reactions: XFlak and jeannotte

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm returning to my Wii after years and updating my setup. Some issues are relatively minor. This thread is less of an issue and just a general question about emunand.

I have been using mod mii for years for various things, although it wasn't initially around when I first modded my console! Will I be able to install older revisions of cios with it that doesn't use dx2 installer?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Run modmii classic and go to the download pages, u can build a ton of cios's in wad form, so u don't need the cios installer, just a wad manager. If u want to change the slot of a cios or version number, or build custom forwarders u can go to modmii's advanced download page. If u look at the modmii stickied thread you'll find spoilers with all the files available for download

Fun fact the d2x cios installer has never been used to install anything that wasn't d2x (unless u count d2xl for vwii or fakemote), like waninkoko's rev21 or hermes cios's for example. In theory the d2x installer could be customized to be able to build them but not worth the effort when they have their own cios installers. But if u want to avoid running 10x different cios installers modmii can build a ton in wad form all in one place, making it more convenient if someone wanted to mass test a bunch of different cios's.

All that being said, u don't need a ton of cios's. U should probably start off with generating a syscheck and dragging and dropping your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do. Given your predisposition to wanting tons of cios, u may want to enable modmii's option to Install (H)ermes cios before running the syscheck wizard.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

After doing that u can drag and drop your USB drive or sd card onto modmii.exe and it can help u update any detected apps on it

clandestine

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Run modmii classic and go to the download pages, u can build a ton of cios's in wad form, so u don't need the cios installer, just a wad manager. If u want to change the slot of a cios or version number, or build custom forwarders u can go to modmii's advanced download page. If u look at the modmii stickied thread you'll find spoilers with all the files available for download

Fun fact the d2x cios installer has never been used to install anything that wasn't d2x (unless u count d2xl for vwii or fakemote), like waninkoko's rev21 or hermes cios's for example. In theory the d2x installer could be customized to be able to build them but not worth the effort when they have their own cios installers. But if u want to avoid running 10x different cios installers modmii can build a ton in wad form all in one place, making it more convenient if someone wanted to mass test a bunch of different cios's.

Extremely helpful. This all makes sense. I'll play around with modmii's download pages. I think I looked into this before but I ran into problem trying to get older cios revisions installed to a new slot (something other than 249 which d2x already occupies on my Wii). But maybe I just didn't really look around well enough to switch it to another stub.

All that being said, u don't need a ton of cios's. U should probably start off with generating a syscheck and dragging and dropping your syscheck.csv onto modmii.exe and it will tell you what to do. Given your predisposition to wanting tons of cios, u may want to enable modmii's option to Install (H)ermes cios before running the syscheck wizard.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/posting-a-system-check.300279/

After doing that u can drag and drop your USB drive or sd card onto modmii.exe and it can help u update any detected apps on it

A little confused on what you think I should do here though with the syscheck and modmii and how it will ultimately help with my goal. Again, my goal is to maximize native emunand compatibility without using neek. (But it's kinda looking like using neek is probably the path of least resistance.) It looks like, according to the compatibility list, it would only require a few additional cios's, namely rev17 and 19. How would modmii know which ones I want or "tell me what to do" when I want to install specific cios revisions according to a compatibility list that modmii isn't aware of? Or are you just suggesting this as a way to get a good picture of the current state of my Wii, so to speak? I'm generally aware of my setup and what mods I've installed in the past.

Also why install Hermes? I've never had it in the past, and remember reading it's not really used anymore. Do you think it'll help with compatible of emunand? I don't see it mentioned on the list I linked to in my initial post.

It does seem like modmii is very useful to update things though. I've always manually done it periodically over the years.

Thanks for your reply though, very helpful. :)

Last edited by clandestine,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BunnyPinkie @ BunnyPinkie: @BakerMan...