Hacking How long till the 3DS is hacked?

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Shinigami Guntz said:
Imagine it. Using the Software installer to put a game on an SD card, running over to your computer, and uploading all the files to the internet. Then, someone comes and downloads said files, and in a minute of work and an indefinite amount of time downloading, they can just use the SD Card.

In this case, games installed on your SD card would be encrypted in such a way that only your personal 3DS - and noone else's - would be able to run them.
And this would be great, because pirates would not be able to keep on complaining "I need a hack because Nintendo does not allow me to take backups". You'd be able to take 1 million backups, but they would be completely useless to everyone except you (provided encryption of enough strength is used). Plus, you'd get the benefit of flashcards - being able to carry 4-5 games with you and switch between them from within 3DS' menu, not by physically removing and inserting cards.

Personally, I think I grew out of piracy. I'd be more then happy to buy quality games, and nowadays you can judge the quality by watching gameplays on Youtube, reading reviews etc. Maybe even Nintendo will offer downloadable game demos (only first level to try ?) Homebrew, however, is a totally different thing. I'd really love to see a hack that would enable everyone to run their own programs/games, but not to copy commercial games.

Hakoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
xakota said:
I'll admit it. The reason I pirate games is because I am underage, don't have a source of money, and my parents refuse to buy me games. Many other people are in this situation. I do not plan to pirate when I'm older and actually get a job. In fact, I've made a commitment to buy every game I've ever pirated when I actually can.
Many parents DO back out at 30 dollars a game. Who wants to spend 30 bucks for a game that your kid will spend 2 weeks on, then return it to gamestop for five bucks and want another one? Yeah, no one.
This. My exact thinking and situation.

Shinigami Guntz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
In this case, games installed on your SD card would be encrypted in such a way that only your personal 3DS - and noone else's - would be able to run them.

Then, perhaps, someone would change that encryption to work on all, or their own, 3DS. Doesn't sound -too- complicated, though I may be wrong.

Parablank

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hakoda said:
xakota said:
I'll admit it. The reason I pirate games is because I am underage, don't have a source of money, and my parents refuse to buy me games. Many other people are in this situation. I do not plan to pirate when I'm older and actually get a job. In fact, I've made a commitment to buy every game I've ever pirated when I actually can.
Many parents DO back out at 30 dollars a game. Who wants to spend 30 bucks for a game that your kid will spend 2 weeks on, then return it to gamestop for five bucks and want another one? Yeah, no one.
This. My exact thinking and situation.
I second this.

BigBadBoss

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Vulpes Abnocto said:
We may not even SEE it for a year to a year and a half.

I sure hope not. I'm hoping it comes out this holiday season!

Also, regarding hacking. Not sure but it's better if it stays clean as more game developers can create better games for the console.

Mana94

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
aguyyyy said:
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Can we wait until the console is out before "when will it be hacked" speculation?

True, and also the DSi hasn't been hacked yet!
FAILLL
Really? Is that why we have like 50 flashcarts for it?

Scott-105

Bow to me. Please?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Mana94 said:
aguyyyy said:
Vulpes Abnocto said:
Can we wait until the console is out before "when will it be hacked" speculation?

True, and also the DSi hasn't been hacked yet!
FAILLL
More like you fail. DS mode has been cracked, not DSi mode. Can we play DSiWare free? Didn't think so bud.

pachura

Trophies
XP
Country
Mana94 said:
FAILLL

...which do not allow you to run dedicated DSi games ? And there's no DSi homebrew taking advantage of higher clocked CPU and cameras ?

moon_wolf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
never or i hope so
tongue.gif

matejdro

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Slovenia
Downloadable updates are least problem i think. If someone hacks console, he would probably also find a way to turn off auto update. And if all else fails, we still can turn off WiFi router or restrict 3DS MAC address and 3DS is in the dark
smile.gif

Also i don't understand why is so hard to simply allow homebrew out of the box. Allowing homebrew and implement game installing would clear out most "excuses" to have flash cart. But no, they rather limit us and spends money on pointless protection, which is going to get hacked anyway.

MarkDarkness

Nocturnal
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
KingVamp said:
What the possibility that the dsi just couldn't be hacked?
There's no such thing. Especially with all the money that the first 3DS flashcart will make. We are talking many, many thousands of dollars here.

Ikki

GBATemp's grumpy panda.
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Actually, having in mind that the 3DS has an SD card slot...and knowing that the SD card slot may (or will, I don't remember if it was something Nintendo's already done) have the capability of game installing according to an interview, I wouldn't expect it to take much longer than hacking the Wii took. (I'm just being positive.) And I doubt the existance of an actual 3DS flashcart.

However the 3DS isn't out yet, we know nothing about its security, who knows what Nintendo has under their sleeves?

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
pachura said:
Mana94 said:
FAILLL

...which do not allow you to run dedicated DSi games ? And there's no DSi homebrew taking advantage of higher clocked CPU and cameras ?
REVERSE FAIL!

No one can say for sure. Why isn't this thread dead yet? Why am I not asleep?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: AND HOW IS IT IN THE SURFACE OF THE WEB?!