Hacking How long till the 3DS is hacked?

fearofshorts

Trophies
XP
Country
You know why I believe that the 3DS won't be cracked quickly?

First, think back to the DS's early days. It took ages before we even had crappy slot-2 carts which used an insanely huge slot-1 device.

Secondly, Exophase (amongst others on the Pandora forums) holds this view: and he's one of the best developers of ANYTHING around.

Thirdly, not everything is pirated quickly. Look at the Capcom Play System 3.
It took nearly a DECADE to fully crack. Guess how they did it? Super-hard-to-crack encryption and "suicide batteries"- devices which would fry your system if you tried to get at it.

The Wii was cracked quickly because it was easy to access it's memory.
The PSP was cracked quickly because of it's over-complicated OS (leaving way too many security vulnerabilities).
The DS was cracked reasonably quickly because Nintendo didn't design it to prevent piracy (GBA flashcarts weren't exactly a major problem).

fartos32

Trophies
XP
Country
Personally I think the era of making backups as easily as taking your console to some random market and having it good to go half an hour later just like that is near it's end. Console piracy in this generation has been huge, I doubt it would be this easy in the future except for the odd console here and there which had some random security flaw missed by the developer and then found and exploited by pirates/homebrewers. While PC piracy will probabally remain a problem consoles will be clean as clean can be at least for the first few years of their release.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
Parablank said:
DarknessxD407 said:
Hey look at this. if this is true the cracking on the 3ds will be a lot harder than the dsi.
Says NINTENDO.

They obviously don't know what they're up against.
And do we? We've gotten all too used to popping a flashcart into the DS and having instant piracy, or doing a 15 minute softmod on our Wiis. You can't say with absolute certainty that the 3DS won't have formidable defenses. Just look at the PS3.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It took 4 years for the PS3 to have something that try to pass as a real hack (PS3Jailbreak).

It then took Sony only a firmware update to completely disable it. Sure, you could choose not to update, but why would you give up free online for that.

It could take as long or even longer for the 3DS to pirate. Hell, it could remain unhacked until the next nintendo portable actually comes out.

Also, the Wii took a long time to be hacked. At first, you needed a modchip to play backups (modchip is still better than softmods anyway).

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
It took 4 years for the PS3 to have something that try to pass as a real hack (PS3Jailbreak).

It then took Sony only a firmware update to completely disable it. Sure, you could choose not to update, but why would you give up free online for that.

It could take as long or even longer for the 3DS to pirate. Hell, it could remain unhacked until the next nintendo portable actually comes out.

Also, the Wii took a long time to be hacked. At first, you needed a modchip to play backups (modchip is still better than softmods anyway).
It(PS3jailbreak) been remade in other devices and the hack is spreading. For people with bad internet connecting or just do not care would give it up. They found ways to get around this any way.

3DS may take a long time, but I THINK not as long as PS3 , sense it a portable not a home console.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
I'm not, of course, saying that the 3DS will never be hacked. I'm trying to point out how foolish all the posters are who have claimed with absolute certainty that any security Ninty could institute would be quickly defeated by the homebrew community (That is to say, those hackers and coders who's exploits we gloatingly use)

_Chaz_

GBAtemp's Official Mook™
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
fearofshorts said:
CJL18 said:
all hackers will be trying to hack the 3DS i really think 6months-to a year we will bebale to play backups

Ok- why?
You don't think that a lot of people were trying to hack every other system?
Don't be foolish.
Hacking the DSi was never a high priority and was never taken too seriously by a lot of hackers.
The 3DS is different.

dsfanatic5

Team ICO Freak
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
_Chaz_ said:
fearofshorts said:
CJL18 said:
all hackers will be trying to hack the 3DS i really think 6months-to a year we will bebale to play backups

Ok- why?
Don't be foolish.
Hacking the DSi was never a high priority and was never taken too seriously by a lot of hackers.
The 3DS is different.
I agree that the 3DS will probably be a very high priority, especially if the games cost $39.99 to $49.99, and if homebrew will produce powerful emulators for MAME, Snes, etc.

I'm really interested to see how well Nintendo handles AP protection the next time around. Nobody will know how difficult it will be until the system becomes available, so a timeframe is just speculation at this point.

Midna

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
_Chaz_ said:
fearofshorts said:
CJL18 said:

Ok- why?
Don't be foolish.
The 3DS is different.
Ya don't think hackers were interested in the PS3?

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
KingVamp said:
Giga_Gaia said:

It(PS3jailbreak) been remade in other devices and the hack is spreading. For people with bad internet connecting or just do not care would give it up. They found ways to get around this any way.

3DS may take a long time, but I THINK not as long as PS3 , sense it a portable not a home console.

Jailbreak isn't spreading, it has been stopped. No matter how much it spreads, it's useless since you need 3.41 or below to use it and most people are on 3.42 already. So they could make more and more devices, but the number of users who aren't on 3.42 won't decrease, it will only increase. Some people on 3.41 will eventually upgrade.

Also, I bet they will include new protection in their new games that make games unreadable with the device. They could also make it so you need a certain fw to play a game, which could also be impossible to bypass with the device.

Sony obtained that device already, so they can do everything to new games to make them impossible to copy. So I'd say ps3jailbreak was stopped dead in its track.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
most people are on 3.42 already. So they could make more and more devices, but the number of users who aren't on 3.42 won't decrease, it will only increase. Some people on 3.41 will eventually upgrade.

proof?

Ha!!! Watch the ps3jailbreak be updated to beat the new firmware!
tongue.gif

LegendarySkitch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
Jailbreak isn't spreading, it has been stopped. No matter how much it spreads, it's useless since you need 3.41 or below to use it and most people are on 3.42 already. So they could make more and more devices, but the number of users who aren't on 3.42 won't decrease, it will only increase. Some people on 3.41 will eventually upgrade.

Also, I bet they will include new protection in their new games that make games unreadable with the device. They could also make it so you need a certain fw to play a game, which could also be impossible to bypass with the device.

Sony obtained that device already, so they can do everything to new games to make them impossible to copy. So I'd say ps3jailbreak was stopped dead in its track.

Yeah cause that TOTALLY stopped the PSP...They did the same thing back then, rushed out 1.51 to stop hackers, however you have to know that didn't stop them. With an extremely powerful console like the PS3, yeah they aren't giving up on it...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YirGDuzLvkQ +1