Hardware How I fixed 160-0103 system memory error

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, I saw the original post and no "corrections" after, since I don't follow nor plan to follow anyone on twitter.

The correction was made 8 hours after the original post. 8 hours during which people have read your bold announcement about all consoles being fixable. Since you felt a correction had to be made, even you yourself can see how your original post clearly misled into people thinking something you didn't actually want to say.

I never made a definitive claim. I stated my current beliefs, based on my limited data.

Anyhow, I'm not going to argue about it as this is just worthless.

Reactions: yadspi

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Voultar I just wrote how it sounded to to me what you wrote. If you didn't mean it like that good. I don't have a problem with you, it's just that this paragraph sounds a little bit condescending. I mean you called there others stupid and fearmongering, for saying it's a hardware problem, while saying at the same time you don't have enough data here. So of course I will feel offenden when I am one ofe these people who claims that at least in my case and probably some others we looked into,it was a hardware fault, which can't be permanently fixed in software.
But thats maybe just how it sounds to me and how I interpreted that. If that's not what you meant to express I am sorry.

So let's not fight, we want to solve the same problem.

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You didn't make a definitive claim, sure, but why even make such a claim in the first place when you KNOW your data pool is tiny?

I'm working on things and reporting my findings in real time in MY twitter thread. This is what I do as an engineer who's sharing with other people.

It's not up for debate. I'm not going to argue about it. Good day!
Post automatically merged:

@Voultar I just wrote how it sounded to to me what you wrote. If you didn't mean it like that good. I don't have a problem with you, it's just that this paragraph sounds a little bit condescending. I mean you called there others stupid and fearmongering, for saying it's a hardware problem, while saying at the same time you don't have enough data here. So of course I will feel offenden when I am one ofe these people who claims that at least in my case and probably some others we looked into,it was a hardware fault, which can't be permanently fixed in software.
But thats maybe just how it sounds to me and how I interpreted that. If that's not what you meant to express I am sorry.

So let's not fight, we want to solve the same problem.
I don't doubt that memories are failing. But to what degree?

I've seen several Youtube videos and have read several articles reporting that all Wii Us are inevitably going to die by simply not being used and that there's nothing that can be done, all because they read some forum thread that has a lot of inconsistent data, and THAT is who and what I'm refuting.

So far, I've fixed 5 Wii-U systems exhibiting 160-0101 AND 106-0103 error codes by simply fixing the coldboot title ID. The MLC of each of these systems were read-in after this and were 100% OK. Does that mean that this will fix all 0103 errors? Of course not. But if people believe the articles and the youtubers who aren't even investigating their own claims, those people are likely to just throw away a perfectly good system. Clearly, it's far from accurate to say that 0101 or 0103 are death sentences.

I'm spending money on these systems and are investing myself in this problem to try to help find some definitive answers. I'm not a "clickbaiter". Go look at my body of work on Youtube and you'll see pretty quickly that my content isn't about that.

Last edited by Voultar,

Chainhunter

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Nobody is deliberately spreading misinformation here...

People taking the phrase "I believe" as true, are the problem here. For that, blame social media instant gratification.

Anyway, if we put current info together:

- Voultar's error code fix may relate to CBHC bricks, not NAND corruption (MLC too far gone, but still needing MLC + SLC backup to recover data).

It also currently SEEMS like these are the options:

- SD card replacement for eMMC

- Change boot sequence to load from sdcard (possibly virtual SD card within, to replace physical slot?). Basically EMUNAND with SD at minimum.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
People WILL take "I believe" as true whenever it comes from someone with a substantial clout and established history in the field. As such, one should be more careful with their wording. That's all.

Reactions: CheatFreak47

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't doubt that memories are failing. But to what degree?
That's a good question, but I believe more than they should. And it seems that almost always it's a hynix from a specific time frame.
I also think we select our sample differently. From my understanding you got your consoles primarily from your audience on twitter, which I assume is much into modding. So it's more likely that they have CBHC.
I got my sample from the console I bought at launch, ebay and the forums. Ebay resellers already know of UDPIH so it is not very likely to find a CBHC bricked one there. And to the forums come desperate people, even if they are not into modding, so we get a mix there from CBHC and bad eMMC.
At least that's my hypothesis.

I've seen several Youtube videos and have read several articles reporting that all Wii Us are inevitably going to die by simply not being used and that there's nothing that can be done, all because they read some forum thread that has a lot of inconsistent data, and THAT is who and what I'm refuting.
It seems that only consoles with a certain eMMC have this Problem, but we don't know if all of them have it or if it's just a few from that category. I talked to a very nice reseller on ebay and he might even take a look at the good consoles so I hope we get a better picture there.
I'm spending money on these systems and are investing myself in this problem to try to help find some definitive answers. I'm not a "clickbaiter". Go look at my body of work on Youtube and you'll see pretty quickly that my content isn't about that.
So do I and I felt attacked by your post. I saw your content on youtube and I already said that I liked it. It's just that one twitter post I didn't like.

- Voultar's error code fix may relate to CBHC bricks, not NAND corruption (MLC too far gone, but still needing MLC + SLC backup to recover data).
I think there is a good chance to even fix this without a NAND backup. After prelacing the bad eMMC UDPIH should give us the possibility to fix broken files.

Last edited by SDIO,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm refuting the erroneous claims that because of a tiny thread with 30 people complaining about their Wii Us being busted that there's a memory epidemic stirring about.
I fully agree on this: The problem seems to be way less widespreading than some YouTubers & co state it is.

So far the hypothesis is that there was one batch of faulty Hynix chips. We still need more data to confirm this but so far this sounds way more reasonable than what some people (not talking about you) state on social media platforms.

And this is why I might have overreacted on you: I thought you're the next one claiming a widespreading problem, now even with a "fix" that won't work for the people who have a chip of this faulty batch in their consoles.
I really like you beeing here now to do more research. More "influencers" should do this. :)

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While your pursuit of getting to the bottom of the situation 100% commendable, and it's awesome you're buying up bricked units and fixing them up, and investigating the subject in earnest, I think you owe V10lator an apology.

V10lator has a pretty small following here on GBAtemp, of which he is well respected generally and has contributed to many discussions specifically around this topic, and helped people unbrick consoles and helped diagnose bricked units, and he's also a homebrew dev with quite a number of projects people actively use. So, from our perspective, you're some "new kid on the block" who just appeared out of nowhere and made loud claims to your preexisting audience about something you're fairly new to investigating.

Then, when V10lator pointed it out (pages deep on a forum thread, mind you) that you had a lacking conclusion drawn from a small amount of data made with limited knowledge, you then proceeded to screenshot him, saying he's "exactly the kind of person that makes you wanna quit" to your 16K twitter audience to publicly humiliate him.

To someone who has knowledge on the subject, you come off as a fool making a lot of noise and getting a lot of attention for it.

And sure, you're allowed to be offended for being called a clickbaiter, but V10lator did so in front of like, 20 gbatemp regulars. You put him on blast over it to your existing twitter following- plus people visiting the tweet thread because this is a popular subject in the media right now.

Regardless, I don't hold any hard feelings against you but you should probably be a little more careful with how you swing your twitter weight around. Words have meaning and power mate.

Last edited by CheatFreak47,

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
you then proceeded to screenshot him
I saw this just now. Calling me a GBATemp troll while I had a discussion with a real troll over half of the night who tried to disrespect me and called me a troll was probably really bad timing. Beside that I don't really care what people write or think about me through. :)

//EDIT:
But if people believe the articles and the youtubers who aren't even investigating their own claims
So you see the same problem I'm seeing. See, what I meaned with "not in the scene" was exactly this: Not doing research beforehand. A quick GBATemp search or asking on one of the scene Discord servers would have been great. Then again I really like that you're doing this now.

Can't we simply agree that we're all just humans doing mistakes and start fresh?

Last edited by V10lator,

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw this just now. Calling me a GBATemp troll while I had a discussion with a real troll over half of the night who tried to disrespect me and called me a troll was probably really bad timing. Beside that I don't really care what people write or think about me through. :)
Even if it doesn't bother you, I think it was pretty irresponsible of him, to swing a bit twitter clout stick around so haphazardly about the goings on of this highly technical subject on a fairly technical forum, and it just kinda rustled my jimmies.

I don't really use GBAtemp that much anymore tbh, I mostly dipped out around late 3DS scene stuff when it all became 100% piracy all the time, but this in particular bothered me because I actually did some independent investigation into this subject myself back in about October or so when I noticed a spike in threads on reddit and here on gbatemp about bricked consoles. (I also did some research into Wii U game disc failure as well) and during my investegation I saw you and Gary participating in tons of "help me unbrick my wii u" sort of threads. So, after seeing all that, If there's anyone I would trust on this subject it's you and Gary.

My conclusion on the subject was the same as yours, might've been a bad batch of Hynix chips, but failures are pretty widespread and the hard data (syslogs, etc) isn't sampled from a large enough amount of dead units, so in that respect, what Voultar is doing is actually pretty awesome, more data = better, more based conclusions

My conclusion about Wii U discs was equally inconclusive, but that it might be a good idea for people to avoid resurfacing discs at all costs, and to keep Wii U discs in a temperature controlled environment

the media is definitely making it out to be a bigger problem than it is, but I mean, when doesn't the media fear monger about things way too much lol

Reactions: Carnage and skawo

ghjfdtg

Trophies
XP
Country
Going by articles and videos i saw there is indeed a lot of fearmongering and inaccurate information going around. I appreciate the effort of Voultar and the community to collect data on bricked consoles. We just need to be careful with our wording until we have enough data to back it all up.

Reactions: michalt

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

//EDIT:

So you see the same problem I'm seeing. See, what I meaned with "not in the scene" was exactly this: Not doing research beforehand. A quick GBATemp search or asking on one of the scene Discord servers would have been great. Then again I really like that you're doing this now.

Can't we simply agree that we're all just humans doing mistakes and start fresh?
Fair enough. The problem with forums is that they're widely inconsistent and I try to do my own analysis and share all of my findings.

I 100% agree that fixing the Title ID that's point toward for coldboot won't fix deep memory block errors. But I believe that a lot of people can revive their systems by simply recaching in the coldboot title ID that's either getting corrupted by CBHC or some other means.

And full disclosure, a few of the systems that I've fixed that were generating 160-0101 and 160-0103 are untouched, unmodded systems. One system comes from someone who was playing Zelda WindWaker HD and lost power.

I would like to help with recovering these NANDs. I was going to design an interposer that installs over the BGA site of a removed eMMC that has an SD-Card slot so that the repair is much, much easier.

I can help with those sorts of things.

You can watch my video, I say very clearly that this won't fix ALL Wii Us, but might rehabilitate many. Even if it's just 20% or 35% of consoles, it's worth it, no?

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I can't watch the video right now, I will later. It would be very interesting if you could show the system.xml of these never modded consoles.
And where should the title id be cached? The system.xml resides in the SLC which doesn't have a persistent cache as far as I know.

And for the interposer: removing the eMMC is probably outside the skill of many people, including me. especially with the SLC on the other side, which could fall off. Maybe a interposer which goes over the resistors before the eMMC would be easier for most people.

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't watch the video right now, I will later. It would be very interesting if you could show the system.xml of these never modded consoles.
And where should the title id be cached? The system.xml resides in the SLC which doesn't have a persistent cache as far as I know.

And for the interposer: removing the eMMC is probably outside the skill of many people, including me. especially with the SLC on the other side, which could fall off. Maybe a interposer which goes over the resistors before the eMMC would be easier for most people.
If anyone here on this forum has a Wii-U with a busted eMMC. I will be happy to purchase it from them. I can help design hardware that will make replacing the memory much, much easier.

Again, I don't doubt that it's happening, I just believe that it's been terribly exaggerated by content creators and that a lot of these "bricks" are 100% recoverable.

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
I know of a person who has one - supposedly started throwing the -103 error after trying to install Wind Waker, then started crashing at the WiiU screen. I asked them about it today, and the console now doesn't boot at all - gives a black screen. They would not have a working NAND backup, though - so I'm not sure if their console would be of any use.

Still, if you'd be interested, I can ask if they'd be willing to sell.

I feel such a piece of kit would be useful either way, though - at some point the chips inevitably will go bad, and having the option to relatively easily replace them with removable storage would be very nice.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I feel such a piece of kit would be useful either way, though - at some point the chips inevitably will go bad, and having the option to relatively easily replace them with removable storage would be very nice.
This is my thought as well. The Wii U is designed very well. It doesn't get hot even after hours of gameplay taxing the CPU/GPU/RAM. The hardware should far outlast the NAND chips, which is my concern. Having a way to replace the NAND easily and make swappable with an SD card just makes sense. Having looked at this thread, I think this is something I would be comfortable attempting but many would not so I think such a kit would be highly valued.

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone provide me nice, detailed shots of the BGA eMMC memory location? I would appreciate it. I can help design an interposer to make the hardware part easier and of course will release it for free for everyone.

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

skawo

Trophies
XP
Country
One little thought I had just now, though; I'm not sure SD card slots are the best choice for this.
If the SLC cache keeps updating even upon boot failure, then if the SD card happens to disconnect from its little slot, as they quite often wont to do, you may find yourself needing to not only go inside the console to reseat it, but also restore both backups.

Either way, it might be safer for it to be permanently attached, even just to mitigate the need to keep reseating it.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @rqkaiju2, happy early birthday