Hardware How I fixed 160-0103 system memory error

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@Voultar I just watched your video. When you went through the process of fixing the cold boot title, was that the first time you did it to that console, which fixed it or was that a recreation, after you already fixed it?
I am asking because I noticed the Current Cold Boot Title the recovery menu showed was already correct.

Can you send me the log directory of this console please? What you describe sounds like a third new cause and we are eager to find out what it is.

In the worst case (would need to look this up) some OTP key is involved in this. Now OTP is burned into the CPU (really burned: eFuses) so can't be changed.
The key for the USB devices is in the seeprom and the seeprom is writable. But the key alsone is not enough, you also need the right IV and the IV was generated in a way I couldn't control (at least not in a straight forward way). At least that's how I remember it. So you would need to modify IOSU to spoof the IV and while you are at it the key, so you don't need to change to seeprom)

But kooldev would be the ultimate resource for that. I am pretty sure no one outside Nintendo knows more about the FS. But I forgot what his nick on gbatemp is.

EDIT: sorry I didn't read carefully @V10lator yes, it is possible that the OTP was involved in the IV, but I don't remember for sure. But I thinks the take away is we would need to do an IOSU patch, which I am sure someone in the community could pull off and we would need to find a way to deal with the SLC cache.
But playing with the SLC cache would require flashing through the Hardmod, which is very annoying and slow or testing with the emulator, which I can't get to work at the moment. Maybe Gary could help me with the emulator, but I don't want to bugger him to much and the SLC cache isn't on my priority list. I really first want to add the NAND dumper to the recovery menu.
Post automatically merged:

I just took a look at the recovery_menu code and it seems that it is just calling some function provided by the os: https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/r...9e34b843cc3078b8/ios_mcp/source/imports.h#L36
I wonder what else this function might do.

@Voultar when you fixed the console, did you went straight to fixing the cold boot title or did you try if maybe just launching the recovery menu somehow fixed the problem (although I don't know how it would). But just to make sure there isn't anything strange going on and we are going down the wrong road.

Last edited by SDIO,

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
If the resistors get removed, it shouldn't matter if the clock is still connected. Cutting the clock would still be necessary to do the dump through a PC or Raspberry.
I thought it would probably be best if we leave the resistors in place, and just cut the clock line, and then have a 3 way DIP switch on the board which could allow us to connect the Wii U motherboards clock signal to either the original eMMC, the MicroSD slot, or finally connect just the eMMC's clock signal directly to the microSD slot - that way we could design an optional MicroSD male to male adaper (Mockup photo attached) so we could read/write the eMMC on a PC using a USB card reader?
MicroSDAdapterMockup.jpg

You would have to take apart the console to change the DIP switches (and connect the adapter) but I think having the flexibility to switch between the eMMC and MicroSD without soldering jumpers would be handy.

Last edited by Razor83,
Reactions: SDIO

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I like that idea. But I maybe would remove the option to connect the Wii U clock to the eMMC, because then you would get people who switch between SD and eMMC, which would make the SLC cache inconsistent and cause bricks which would require to reflash the SLC or even recoverable bricks, if they don't have a backup. Maybe a solder jumper that you would have to make with a big warning near it on the silk screen.

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
I like that idea. But I maybe would remove the option to connect the Wii U clock to the eMMC, because then you would get people who switch between SD and eMMC, which would make the SLC cache inconsistent and cause bricks which would require to reflash the SLC or even recoverable bricks, if they don't have a backup. Maybe a solder jumper that you would have to make with a big warning near it on the silk screen.
Yeah I see what your saying, but i'm just thinking that one day future homebrew might remove the need for the SLC cache, or at least allow us to reset it, and so having the option to reconnect to the original eMMC could be handy (Who knows, maybe one day somebody will figure out a way to fix the original eMMC with a firmware upgrade to its microcontroller) I'm still hopeful that one day somebody will find a Wii U bootrom exploit to give us full control of the system at boot time.

Even just solder jumper positions on the board would be good though, I just though DIP switches would be easier for novices.

Last edited by Razor83,

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Just resetting the SLC cache won't be enough, as you would lose the changes, that are still in the cache, which could cause the FS to corrupt. If you make it too easy, many people will do it, without understanding the consequences.

Reactions: Razor83

Razor83

Trophies
XP
Country
Just resetting the SLC cache won't be enough, as you would lose the changes, that are still in the cache, which could cause the FS to corrupt. If you make it too easy, many people will do it, without understanding the consequences.
Fair enough, I was just hoping to 'future proof' in case homebrew eventually resolves those issues, but your probably right and its best to just have solder jumpers instead to make sure only users who know what they are doing make the changes.

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I also don't think that many people would want to use their wii u wihtout slc cache, as it would wear the SD card or eMMC faster and make the console much slower, like redNAND

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Voultar when you fixed the console, did you went straight to fixing the cold boot title or did you try if maybe just launching the recovery menu somehow fixed the problem (although I don't know how it would). But just to make sure there isn't anything strange going on and we are going down the wrong road.
We aren’t sure how it works in the Switch either, but booting the recovery menu (Maintenance Mode) can fix all kinds of weirdness with the Switch. You don’t even have to do anything. Just boot Maintenance Mode and reboot. Somehow it magically fixes things like games not booting.

Voultar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm super busy, but I have an additional piece of information here that might be extremely important.

3 of these systems had a COMPLETELY flat CR2032 battery.

Could the RTC also have some sort of bug?

CrazySquid

Trophies
XP
Country
@Voultar When you have time, upload the logs of the bricked system, Cafe OS is good detailing the errors that occur, helped me fix a few bricks I made when messing with my MLC.
The logs will detail where and why the console is crashing (worse case scenario it says just where it's crashing), and also will detail the error code, alongside if it's just a file corruption or media error (which btw, when a NAND starts losing data, it means it's going bad if it can't retain it for more than 1 year)

zirogx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have soldered up my micro sd adapter to one of my wii us that seems to have a dead emmc (no video out and crashes early in boot). I havent written back the slc yet should I get any video out upon turning on my wii u.

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@zirogx2 With MLC and SLC missmatching the weirdest things can happen, including none-boot. Also booting like that might corrupt your SD card (the one you use as new MLC), so I wouldn't even try.

zirogx2

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@zirogx2 With MLC and SLC missmatching the weirdest things can happen, including none-boot. Also booting like that might corrupt your SD card (the one you use as new MLC), so I wouldn't even try.
OK thanks for the info. Im too tired now to wire up my pi to slc. Will likely do it tomarrow and report back.

SDIO

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm super busy, but I have an additional piece of information here that might be extremely important.

3 of these systems had a COMPLETELY flat CR2032 battery.

Could the RTC also have some sort of bug?
I am using my Wii U without battery (as I have just the bare board lying on my desk) and regularly have to set the clock by hand again, after losing power. No problems so far.

I have soldered up my micro sd adapter to one of my wii us that seems to have a dead emmc (no video out and crashes early in boot). I havent written back the slc yet should I get any video out upon turning on my wii u.
If you havent powerd it on after doing the mod yet, then good. Just clone the eMMC to the SD card and fix boot errors that might happen after that with UDPIH. If you booted the Wii U with an SDcard in it, that didn't was a clone of the last state of the eMMC, then there is a good chance you messed up the SLC cache and have to flash both with a consistent backup (the SLC and the SD)

How can I launch this tool? https://github.com/GaryOderNichts/mdinfo/releases
I launched Mocha via Haxchi but after that I'm not able to launch the Homebrew Channel again via the Mii Maker.
I think you don't need mocha with Haxchi, as Haxchi should already by a custom firmware. If I remember correctly you can then launch the HBL and start mdinfo with that. But I haven't tried launching mdinfo with haxchi. So it might also not work and you might need aroma or tiramisu

OK thanks for the info. Im too tired now to wire up my pi to slc. Will likely do it tomarrow and report back.
Wait, how are you doing that? For the SLC you would need a teensy. Raspberry Pi is for the MLC. Are you mixing these two up?

IngeniousDefault

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I think you don't need mocha with Haxchi, as Haxchi should already by a custom firmware. If I remember correctly you can then launch the HBL and start mdinfo with that. But I haven't tried launching mdinfo with haxchi. So it might also not work and you might need aroma or tiramisu

Yeah I get a message that it can't find Mocha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.