Hacking how fast until a DS becomes old?

genuisgeek

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
since the DS has been out for so long now and the Rom releases are around 2200+
how much more time do u think the DS has left?
since the DSL is still "selling like hotcakes" will nintendo plan on another major release of some sort?
WHO KNOWS?!?!?!

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
You show how young you are by thinking that the end of 2004 was a long time ago ... it really wasn't ...

Nintendo cannot meet current demand for the DS Lite, so why should they release a new handheld any time soon?

There was over 3.5 years between the release of the Game Boy Advance, and the release of the DS, and 12 years between the launch of the original Game Boy, and the Advance ... yes, there were different iterations of the Game Boy along the way ... Color and Light, for example ... but you could still play original Game Boy games in them, and the games would still play in original Game Boys ...

We do not need new hardware every few years ... we need developers capable of doing the best they can with exisiting hardware ...

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's more likely they will make one with larger screens for older folk with weak eyesight. I seem to remember hearing that was being considered.

lewjay

Trophies
XP
Country
It'll depend on how well the PSP sells. Right now DS still selling 2:1 PSP, so unless Nintendo feels threatened, they'll continue with the current hardware.

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
lewjay said:
It'll depend on how well the PSP sells. Right now DS still selling 2:1 PSP, so unless Nintendo feels threatened, they'll continue with the current hardware.
Actually, it also depends on if the ds sales decrease to a certain point, and stays that way for a period of time.

Panzer Tacticer

veteran human
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The only thing that will kill the DS, is the next best creation.

The second Nintendo invents a better doodad, the DS has about 3 years left.

So if Nintendo takes 5 years to invent a device that makes the DS look boring, then the DS is gone in 8 years.

Nintendo has no reason to keep the DS alive if it has something better to sell.

Would you ditch your current DS lite, if in 2009 they released one that was also a proper cell phone and digital camera? Damn right you would.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it really depends on Sony or other possible hand-held console makers as well. Every next-gen game system always has competing consoles released within a year or two of each other. So if Sony or someone decides to launch nex-gen handhelds, Nintendo would probably follow suit soon after.

The thing I love about Nintendo is how they are such innovators. They gave us the N64 (which at the time was UNBELIEVABLE) and now the wii. They always stay ahead of the competition, so I also wouldn't be suprised if they came out w/ a new handheld in the next few years.

Knowing how innovative Nintendo is (and their marketing strategy), their next handheld will probably be one that integrates even MORE casual and older gamers.

Look at what they did w/ the Wii. The wii is so popular because of the wide range of people who purchase it. Even old people like the wii!

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony won't be doing a new PSP for quite some time, in Japan it is even outselling the DS. Also would it even matter if Sony or even Microsoft announced a new handheld? The PSP specwise out did the DS and yet, the DS outsold it.

I'm sure a proper new DS will be announced next year, the only problem that Nintendo has is that gamers already have one, their solution could be a new model but then the GB Micro didn't really sell that well during the last couple of years of the GBA's lifespan.

To me the PSP is old, gameplay wise, its pretty much a portable PS2 only slightly less, whereas the DS has done a lot to give gamers something new, though not a lot lately.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hadrian said:
Sony won't be doing a new PSP for quite some time, in Japan it is even outselling the DS. Also would it even matter if Sony or even Microsoft announced a new handheld? The PSP specwise out did the DS and yet, the DS outsold it.

I'm sure a proper new DS will be announced next year, the only problem that Nintendo has is that gamers already have one, their solution could be a new model but then the GB Micro didn't really sell that well during the last couple of years of the GBA's lifespan.

To me the PSP is old, gameplay wise, its pretty much a portable PS2 only slightly less, whereas the DS has done a lot to give gamers something new, though not a lot lately.

You can't base your argument on Sony's FIRST handheld system's results because its their first try in the handheld industry and its going up against Nintendo (who is basically the powerhouse in handheld gaming). I believe they will try creating another handheld system within the next few years. Just because its doing well in Japan doesn't mean it is doing well everywhere else. They will want to try to create a product that sells well everywhere.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unchi-san said:
You can't base your argument on Sony's FIRST handheld system's results because its their first try in the handheld industry and its going up against Nintendo (who is basically the powerhouse in handheld gaming). I believe they will try creating another handheld system within the next few years. Just because its doing well in Japan doesn't mean it is doing well everywhere else. They will want to try to create a product that sells well everywhere.
Well the Playstation brand at that time was very big, many many people thought it would out sell the DS based on that brand.

Maybe in the next few years we'll see a PSP2 or whatever but at the moment Sony are trying to get more of these in other peoples hands, it'll be in their best interest to sell something they already have on the shelves then just create and release something that'll cost them a lot more.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i agree that they need to sell and market their PSP better. Its becoming more popular as well w/ PSP exclusives becoming better and better. It must be difficult competing in the handheld industry where Nintendo dominates.

santorix10

Trophies
Website
rememberthe8bit.googlepages.com
XP
Country
United States
What makes a console old to me is if other consoles have eclipsed it. Most people say ten years but, I feel that the SNES is old but not the N64. To me, not much has changed since the N64 other than input methods and online play. The SNES is old because many gameplay, control, and graphic changes have been made since then.

P

pasc

Well said gbpic !

The only thing I could see coming would be a DS with

- TV-Out
- Better D-pad and buttons (shoulderbuttons specifically)
- Optical enhanchments alongside structure enhanchments to make it more resistant against scratches and alike

SleepingDragon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's all about money, everything is. While sales are so strong, no announcements will be made. As soon as a new announcement is made, current DS sales go through the floor. People will hang onto their money until the new unit comes out.

This is good for all of us because they haven't utilized the current hardware to it's fullest extent. The recent release of Ninja Gaiden:Dragon Sword proves that there is still new creativity and functionality that can be coaxed out of the current DS. They need to fully maximize the DS hardware to it's limits before bringing in a new hardware release.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Worst would be getting a DRM rootkit from using audio CDs and then Sony getting sued.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Least I can throw the nvme at neighbors now
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    get a 2 TB NVMe from amazon, return the fucked one, get replacement and send that one to me
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Easier way buy one with a preadded heatsync pop the heat sync open
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Some nerd at Amazon warehouse may tell the end of the colors off
    I'd like a 990 pro tyvm <З
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Gen 5s going to be crazy expensive at like 10k transfer
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $300for 2tb
    don't have anything that can take PCIe5
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's still m.2 form just the next gen
    ew crucial
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 6tb nvme pc ftw