Hacking How far in can you grind away at the drive chip?

TheVirus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I was griding away at a friends cut legged chip and got a bit impatient so I cranked up the RPMs and took off a good chunk of the legs, making soldering near impossible. How far in on the chip can I go before I hit actual chip hardware? I have the legs exposed, I just need to go in further to expose more of them so I can solder to them.

Bob Loblaw

Read the Bob Loblaw Law Blog!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
wacko.gif

do you have pictures?

lenselijer

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I dont understand, you dont even need to use a dremel because you can solder to the nubs.

anyway, you can grind quite a bit, but it only gets harder and harder to solder and also very risky because you will touch other legs too
frown.gif

obv

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was griding away at a friends cut legged chip and got a bit impatient so I cranked up the RPMs and took off a good chunk of the legs, making soldering near impossible. How far in on the chip can I go before I hit actual chip hardware? I have the legs exposed, I just need to go in further to expose more of them so I can solder to them.

i had someone bring in a console with the exact same thing done. How far in exactly have you gone? you really do not need to expose much of the leg in order to get kynar sticking to it. make sure you have some quality flux with you, and just 'wet' the points. tin the tip of the kynar and you should be right

TheVirus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Uganda
I don't have the Wii with me right now but I dremeled away at the chip a bit and the legs are exposed, just not enough for the solder to stick. I just need to know how far in on the chip I can go to expose more of the pin before I hit the actual chip. I'll get pictures Monday or so when I get back in town.

chronjohnson

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You mean how far down or how far back. Just a little ways back the traces will start to zig zag and go all sorts of ways...I think to the left. Might make it harder to not bridge them if they're off in a 45 degree angle. Grinding down though seems to eat the legs/traces as you've already described.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E