Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Senegal
ortomedius said:
benjaminlibl said:
I always thought the only way to progress is to grind. Isn't that supposed to be a big part of RPGs?

I thought makers encourage you to think like in FFX where you make strategy to beat Penance and Nemesis.
I mean for games like Pokemon, where you don't necessarily need to think through your strategies too much, but need higher levels in order to acquire better moves.

MG4M3R

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Usually I just go forward without thinking about my level or xp...

This why Im stuck on Mother 3, can't beat the Barrier boss... (levels under 40)

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For Pokemon, I hardly "grind" that much. I'll usually train a bit, beat a gym, beat some trainers, train a bit, beat a gym, etc etc. If a game is bad enough where you're thrown from one part of the plot into the next with a level gap larger than the Grand Canyon, then it's probably bad.

And then there's some games that just are terrible at RPGs. I, for one, find Mario and Luigi RPG (NOT Super Mario RPG, that's a classic) to be some of the most awful RPG games to roam this planet. It's a watered down, boring, shallow RPG with a dumbfuck storyline (I don't expect any storyline too deep from Mario, but SMRPG had a good storyline) that takes all the good RPG elements, slaps them in the face, then makes them have so little value and completely worthless. This was a little off topic, yes, but I just needed to take out my rant on Mario and Luigi RPG and how it ruined the Mario RPG franchise.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If I find myself playing an RPG it is either extremely controlled a la the first few shining force games or it is something that allows me to explore everything (might and magic style or shining in the darkness) and by the time I am done exploring I usually am levelled up by default.

re: underleveled and accomplishment. I have once or twice had the opportunity to play such a game (usually on the megadrive*) but every time I have tried that on a recent game it is purely a numbers thing (read you will be attacked by a boss with an attack a level 30 character would survive (just) but your team while able to deal the damage well enough will just die during said attack) and learning the mechanics so that you might think you a able to do that tends to mean my digging up an old save (save before a boss with no chance of return or levelling or levelling would take too many "potions"- good one). A pity as many recent games tend to take great pains to come up with a system and how it interplays with various things.
I think here I should mention the modern ninja gaiden games: they are hard but when you die it is usually your fault for not paying attention.

*honourable mention to skies of arcadia on the dreamcast that dodged this one.

Failing all that cheats or my hex editor will appear or the "press a repeatedly and watch a less than challenging TV series/film."

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Go legit. I only use multiplyers when the game is on my micro SD Card. If I bought it, I have to go legit since I don't have cheats... So basically, legit most of the time. Since I go legit more than use cheats/multiplyers.

sweenish

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i grind legit, although the fact that many newer rpg's are making the grind a normal part of play irks me.

walking through the game normally, finishing any fights you may get into should be a good enough for a challenging final boss battle. the grind is just to make it easier, it shouldn't be a part of the game mechanic.

if i'm less interested in the game, a low-ish (x4) exp multiplier does the trick. but it's rare that i even bother sticking with a game i'm less interested in, anyway.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I use EXP multipliers too. What's funny is that I played through Devil Survivor with the 2x EXP code on and I was still always underleveled.
tongue.gif

GameSoul

youtube.com/variantdevil
Trophies
Website
youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
DeMoN said:
I use EXP multipliers too. What's funny is that I played through Devil Survivor with the 2x EXP code on and I was still always underleveled.
tongue.gif

guilty of 32x and I still fail against bosses. Namely, the last one.

Mr.Mysterio

Trophies
XP
Country
Qatar
I make my little cousins do all the grinding!(Got the idea from Retro Game Challenge)That way,I am letting them play on my DS as well as gaining some levels
cool.gif

I use exp multipliers if I cant use my cousins.

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
da_head said:
if there's an excessive amount of grinding involved, i just turn on the exp multipliers. i have better things to do.
Same. I usually try to do it legit, but if I'm grinding on the same type of enemy over and over and over and it seems like it's not going anywhere, I'll turn on the 2x exp.

RetroVortex

Trophies
XP
Country
Legit for me.
But grinding should only be necessary if your rewarded by it.
Dragon Quest Monsters Joker is a good example. If you want powerful monsters, you gotta put the effort in.
The game does give you a shortcut too, but even then, you've got to be prepared to do it correctly, (as metal slimes can be really annoying to kill, (but at least there not as bad as metabbles...).

Also for the dedicated, secret bosses/challenging missions are mandatory.

A good RPG should also offer you different ways to grind, such as sidequests and secret areas(if you've played BOF you'll know what I mean...).

One thing I do hate is RPGs that tie these ideas to multiple playthroughs.
Another playthrough is only worthwhile if the gameplay experience is significantly different.

It is the only flaw with SMT: DS. Even though it has hard final bosses and multiple endings, Making me play through the whole 20-30 hr game (which is ridiculously easy with having all your demons...) again, just to reach the end is insulting!

A game that gets it right is Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. Developers really need to learn from that game.

tops2

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I used to grind legit, but I end up with a high chance I get sick of the game and not finish.
Now a days I just turn on exp multipler since I have better things to do then just waste time grinding.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    dammit that thread got moved from offtopic to edge, well since that happened
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, atleast it's still avaliable
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yes but it wasn't meant to be a comedy thread
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and edge of the forum is mostly comedy and games
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so I don't get why it got moved at all
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @LeoTCK, mods are probably hating you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    on most sites mods hated me, sooner or later, but usually over time I get either banned or the mods get used to me
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    sometimes to the point of thanking me for my quick actions etc against spam and other stuff, but yea...its either they come to respect me or outright hate me
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    If it's not game related, it will be moved to the Egde of the forum. Mods have moved a few of my threads also.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, it was in the off topic chat forum
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Well atleast they didn't delete it completely.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    hmm
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    uoiea
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    huh?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Aeiou backwards
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    ?tuw
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yltcaxE