Hacking How do I recover disappeared files from my SD card?

theoldmototoad50

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everybody, I was using my DSi normally, and then it said it couldn't find a file. I restarted the DSi only to find Unlaunch booting and no files appearing. I put the SD card in my computer and it said 'This folder is empty'. When I went into properties it said the SD card was full. When I tried to create a new folder, Windows Explorer crashed and rebooted. This is the SD card that used to be in my 3DS, it's a Lexar 4GB one. Maybe it just wasn't reliable, because it's not SanDisk? Anyway, I was looking up ways to restore my files, and I think there are no tools that are going to recover all my files for free. Also, I don't think that the files will be restored into folders, but I don't mind just as long as I don't have to pay for it. Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

linkinworm

Trophies
XP
Country
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk this is the best tool ive found for the job thats free, but its commandline heavy, very easy to screw something up if not careful, but i recovered a load of stuff with it.
I found that you should NOT use that sd card at all till you use it with this though, trying to access the drive will cause overwrites.
best option is to use the imaging tool to make an image of the sd card so that you can recover files from that instead, without further damaging files on the card.
good luck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: @Xdqwerty any tips?