Hacking How do I mod channels (sound, graphics, etc.) and the Wii Menu bgm without getting a black screen?

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have tried for a long time to customize the graphics in some Wii channels, but every time I install then load the modded channel on my Wii or on Dolphin, I just get a black screen. Do the files have to be the same size or smaller than the ones that I replace? I also found out that Gecko offers a file patcher somewhat similar to that of Riivolution. Is it possible to use that to load channel mods, or does it only work with retail games? The other similar problem that I have encountered is getting a black screen on Dolphin when I pack a Wii Menu .wad with a custom theme. This happens when I use Brawlbox to replace the startup sound that plays after the health screen when the Wii Menu appears and before the .rseq plays. I replaced it with about 1 minute of audio set to loop to create custom background music. I have not actually tried it out on my Wii yet because I am afraid that getting a black screen instead of the Wii Menu will brick my Wii. Is there any way I can get these mods to work?

fatherjack

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"...every time I install then load the modded channel on my Wii or on Dolphin, I just get a black screen..."

does your custom icon and banner display and blackscreen when you attempt to load the channel - or does the Wii / Dolphin blackscreen instead of launching?

I pwned U!

I am pleased to beat you!
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
does your custom icon and banner display and blackscreen when you attempt to load the channel - or does the Wii / Dolphin blackscreen instead of launching?
The (edited) Wii Menu blackscreens on Dolphin when I try to replace the startup WAV (about 2 seconds long; it plays after the health and safety screen goes away and before the BGM SEQ starts) with a 1 minute 7 second WAV with looping points set (see the linked screenshots). I never tested it on my Wii just in case it lead to a brick.

The channel issue is not related to icons or banners. I tried to replace the the Mii Channel plaza's ground texture with an image of my Mii converted to the exact same resolution as the original texture and set the colors to come from a palette like the original texture. On Dolphin and after installation on my Wii, I was greeted with a black screen upon launching the channel.

All of these mods were attempted with BrawlBox v0.71 by loading the .app files, editing and saving the desired contents, and using WadMii from Wii.cs Tools 0.3 to inject the modified .app files back into the WADs.

Here is a link to all of the screenshots and the audio. START.wav is the original file and MENU.wav is what I want to replace it with:

https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/s...XQkBpXeZZEIIcNLXZY?ref_=cd_ph_share_link_copy

Last edited by I pwned U!,
Reactions: The Cringe

Larsenv

Dr. Wii, Ph.D
Trophies
Website
larsenv.xyz
XP
Country
United States
Was told to go to this link, even though it's an old thread.

Editing a BRSAR isn't easy, but maybe if you want to change the graphics only on Dolphin you could texture dump then change the stuff dumped, edit them, then make it load that.

You can use ThemeMii to install a .mym to a NAND, which you can do for the Dolphin NAND.

No need to pack a WAD to install it.

Reactions: I pwned U!

pokemonster

Trophies
XP
Country
France
i think brawlbox is not fully supported the sysmenu file or dolphin not emulated new sound corectly. try with an emunand in your wii

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-