how come a lot of gamers in the us dont like rpgs

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by 1234turtles, Jan 17, 2011.

1. 1234turtles
    OP

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    like the topic title said i live in the us and i like rpgs but everybody i know thinks rpgs are whack

2. science

Member science science rules

Canada
    RPGs are a really popular genre. You can't stereotype just because your friends don't like them.

3. Crystal the Glaceon

Member Crystal the Glaceon GBAtemp Inkling™ Squishies~

Antarctica
    I know plenty of people who love RPG's, all of them living in America.

4. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    alot of the people who don't like rpgs are the people who can't do anything but play call of duty and sports games.

5. chrisman01

Member chrisman01 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Most RPGs are good, but for me it's because I grew up on them. I guess I was pretty much burned out.

That and many RPGs tell the exact same story, or have the exact same setting. I'm probably going to get nerd rage for saying this, but the most generic example I can think of is World of Warcraft.

WoW is your basic fantasy RPG; choose a class, race, etc, complete quests, level up, build skills, and fight evil/good, depending on what side you chose. It also has evil forces that literally come out of nowhere that you HAVE to fight, or said forces will destroy the world, like in almost every RPG or JRPG to date. eg, Lich King and now the dragon from Cataclysm.

As for how WoW has gotten so popular, I have no clue...

No trolling/nerd rage intended, it's just how I see it. [​IMG]

PS - I actually hate CoD and most other shooters. I like to sit down and think things through, kind of make my own story. I hate running around a corner, only to have my face blown off by somebody running and gunning without using any strategy -.-

Thus why I love games that let you create, like Minecraft, or complicated strategy games that make you think long and hard, like Homeworld (HIGHLY recommend you google Homeworld 1 or 2! Wicked old, but still my favorite strategy series to date! ^.^). The only MMORPG I can say I like is Pirates of the Burning Sea, whose naval combat is rather slow and involves a lot of strategy.

6. 1234turtles
    OP

Member 1234turtles GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    well that answers my question all my friends do is play mordern warefare and madden

7. Sir-Fritz

Member Sir-Fritz GBAtemp Maniac

Australia
    Americans only like mature games for mature gamers with guns and space marines.

8. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States

you can say that stuff with just about any genre

FPS for example, all you do is shoot stuff, get new weapons and repeat that cycle..FPS has the exact same story (war) and the exact same settings.

I think americans lack the patience to grind for levels, or go through a hour of tutorial, it's all about mindless button smashing and pretty graphics in america

9. snico1995

Member snico1995 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i disagree with this, i have played many rpgs that dont require any tutorial or grinding, fallout 3/new vegas, mass effect 2, lots of others but im too tired to think of them, just because someone isn't into hardcore japanese final fantasy type shit doesn't mean they can't enjoy an rpg.

10. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    those are just shooters with RPG elements..american's RPG are more shooters than RPG

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    I see you're not familiar with the concept of an "action RPG."

The entire genre isn't just comprised of turn-based combat systems.

12. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    when did I say only turn-based RPG is the only RPG?
    there's plenty of other RPG, like jade empire, or knights of the old republic

games like mass effect or fallout is heavy on the shooter part and light on the RPG part

13. 8BitWalugi

Member 8BitWalugi Taiyohhhhhh!

Australia
    >>Hates CoD
    >>Look at his signature
    >>lolwut.jpg

I'm probably taking it out of context, but it was pretty funny.

Anyway, lots of people like RPG's. I dislike the FF series, and love the Mother series. It's all about what your prefer. Who gives a crap about someone else's opinion.

14. Nathan Drake

Member Nathan Drake Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.

Antarctica
    In America, RPG's just aren't as popular. That's pretty much that. We can all sit here and say, "I like RPG's, and my friends like RPG's, thus, everybody likes RPG's!" but that doesn't mean anything.

It is just the wrong type of game for the average gamer in America, nothing else.

15. chrisman01

United States

You say this, yet you are an American...

So, as you are proving and as I am proving, not all Americans are impatient or care about graphics, like you just said. Minecraft requires a lot of patience, and it's made of cubes, yet I and many other Americans love it! Strategy games also require a lot of patience, yet many Americans enjoy games like Sins of a Solar Empire, Civilization, etc.

Did you read my edit? I don't like FPS games either, if that is what you were trying to imply.

@8bitwaluigi: LOL yes, I have CoD, but I hated it. And my 360 has been dead for weeks now... 4th RROD. Even when it worked, I didn't play it very often. The 360 needs more strategy games...

16. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Younger people in america tend to be all about the fast cars and explosions and getting what they want now.

Having to level up in slow battles in a turn-based RPG (or a slower action RPG) is not their idea of fast fun.

17. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    When did I say all americans are like that?

The majority of americans are like that
    what's the biggest sellers in america? black ops, halo, gears of wars, etc
    we in the USA don't see games like tales of hearts because they know americans won't buy it.

Like I said it's all about mindless button smashing in america

18. chrisman01

United States
    um... [​IMG]

19. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    I see a lot of people slinging broad brushes around here.

Not everyone in the US is a mindless idiot that lives off of Halo, Black Ops and Madden.

I personally DO play Black ops, but I also play puzzle games, fighting games, RPGs, racing games, and action RPGs. Am I the only person in the US with that diverse of a gaming palate? Not even close. So don't paint everyone in this country with that broad brush, please.

20. RoMee

Member RoMee ??

United States
    here let me make it easy.

the majority drowns out the minority

and the majority of americans is all about mindless button smashing, if for some reason you think I'm talking about you and want to be offended than have fun with that.
    If you're not a like that than be proud of that and know I'm not talking about you.