how come a lot of gamers in the us dont like rpgs

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
RoMee said:
here let me make it easy.

the majority drowns out the minority

Again. Not even close. If it was such a majority, no RPGs would ever be translated to english, and the entire genre would die out, but the fact of the matter is, people still play RPGs, they just aren't as vocal about it as your average Black Ops player (LOL I JUZ GOT 3 HEADSHOTS IN LIKE 2 SECONDZ!)

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
RoMee said:

Again. Not even close. If it was such a majority, no RPGs would ever be translated to english, and the entire genre would die out, but the fact of the matter is, people still play RPGs, they just aren't as vocal about it as your average Black Ops player (LOL I JUZ GOT 3 HEADSHOTS IN LIKE 2 SECONDZ!)

it such a majority that we miss out on some the best JRPG available
and the majority of americans is all about mindless button smashing, if for some reason you think I'm talking about you and want to be offended than have fun with that.
If you're not a like that than be proud of that and know I'm not talking about you.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
RoMee said:
TwinRetro said:
RoMee said:

In your opinion. We still get some awesome RPGs, and sometimes I feel like people think that the best RPGs aren't ever translated because why? The grass is always greener in Japan.

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
RoMee said:
TwinRetro said:
RoMee said:

In your opinion. We still get some awesome RPGs, and sometimes I feel like people think that the best RPGs aren't ever translated because why? The grass is always greener in Japan.

dude I never said we didn't..

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:

It's a good thing American game companies don't make RPGs.
(In other words, if your argument was correct, American game companies wouldn't even bother trying to make RPGs if "majority" ruled. They wouldn't make any money if they made it for the "minority".)

The topic is about RPGs in general, not just JRPGs :/

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
RoMee said:
TwinRetro said:
RoMee said:
TwinRetro said:
RoMee said:

dude I never said we didn't..

IMO, it's just a classic case of "I can't have it so it just makes it that much more super awesome cool kawaii desu"

RoMee

??
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
phoenixgoddess27 said:
The topic is about RPGs in general, not just JRPGs :/

don't you guys read anything?
I said, there was other good rpg, like jade empire or kotor, and even fable

lol..this is going nowhere

I'm gonna end this with this
QUOTEand the majority of americans is all about mindless button smashing, if for some reason you think I'm talking about you and want to be offended than have fun with that.
If you're not a like that than be proud of that and know I'm not talking about you.

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Younger people in america tend to be all about the fast cars and explosions and getting what they want now.

Having to level up in slow battles in a turn-based RPG (or a slower action RPG) is not their idea of fast fun.

I don't know about all that. I game in the US and I like RPG's myself. IMO just like shooters the market is over-saturated with RPG's kinda hard to distinguish the good from the bad (at least in regards to personal taste) and people in the US are too lazy to decide what game they wanna play. So they pick up stuff that gets high reviews. Which nowadays is mostly shooters and maybe Racing games, maybe.

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RoMee said:
games like mass effect or fallout is heavy on the shooter part and light on the RPG part
You've obviously never played Mass Effect, as its incredibly focused on plot and character development.

And the combat system is strategy-oriented rather than the "mindless button mashing" you ignorantly think it is.

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
(EDIT: Romee edited his post, the first comment no longer had any meaning... removed)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anyway, the Western world (being N. America and Europe) does produce good RPGs. Or at least games with RPG elements, like Borderlands, Mass Effect, etc.

Speaking of, I don't think I ever beat any of those games, even though they are/were wicked popular... further shows how RPGs and I don't click for some reason, I suppose
unsure.gif

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chrisman01 said:
Not to be a douche or anything, but... isn't Fable from Europe, not the US? ;D

Anyway, the Western world (being N. America and Europe) does produce good RPGs. Or at least games with RPG elements, like Borderlands, Mass Effect, etc.

Speaking of, I don't think I ever beat any of those games, even though they are/were wicked popular... further shows how RPGs and I don't click for some reason, I suppose
unsure.gif
Translation of RoMee's posts:

"Games I don't like are stupid."

Advi

Trophies
Website
www.fletchowns.net
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
chrisman01 said:

unsure.gif

"X I don't like are stupid" basically sums up the mentality of everybody online.

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Advi said:
Urza said:
chrisman01 said:

unsure.gif

"X I don't like are stupid" basically sums up the mentality of everybody online.

Just for the record, it's not the actual games that make the games stupid, it's the fans. For instance, I can't be in the room for 5 minutes with a hardcore JRPG fan (UNDUB ONLEEZ!)

chrisman01

Trophies
Website
empireofsteel.thecomicseries.com
XP
Country
United States
Urza said:
chrisman01 said:

unsure.gif

I suppose. Just trying to help his case at first, but he dug his own grave in this debate.

I dabble in every genre, just strategy takes priority in my list and FPSs and RPGs are lower. Whatever, my friends play them, so I'll try to play them and try not to make a fool of myself... my Guild Wars characters and my CoD K/D ratios do that for me -.-

GundamXXX

Ergo Ego
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Remember there is a difference between Gamers and Casual Players

Your friends are probably Casual Players and play Xbox or PS3 when they get home from school/work for a few hours?

Theres also Gamers who play alot of games day in day out etc etc

And I also think that liking RPG's has nothing to do with where youre from. I mean the best RPG studios are from America ;>

Urza

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
TwinRetro said:
Just for the record, it's not the actual games that make the games stupid, it's the fans. For instance, I can't be in the room for 5 minutes with a hardcore JRPG fan (UNDUB ONLEEZ!)
To be fair, many games are horribly dubbed when localized for NA.

Relevant:
por.png

MelodieOctavia

Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Urza said:
TwinRetro said:
To be fair, many games are horribly dubbed when localized for NA.

Relevant:
por.png

Absolutely, but in the same vein even when the NA voices are excellent people still clamor for an undub.

QUOTE(GundamXXX @ Jan 17 2011, 09:16 AM)
Remember there is a difference between Gamers and Casual Players

Your friends are probably Casual Players and play Xbox or PS3 when they get home from school/work for a few hours?

Theres also Gamers who play alot of games day in day out etc etc

And I also think that liking RPG's has nothing to do with where youre from. I mean the best RPG studios are from America ;>

When the general gaming community can agree on the definition of "casual" and "hardcore", you can talk about the difference between the two.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol