ROM Hack How can I edit RLCN files?

thela_kid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi. I've been searching google for a week and have downloaded about 17 programs but I still can't seem to edit this palette file. Help would be VERY appreciated.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
same thing as nclr (nintendo color rescource file). For specs on nclr go to the tahaxan website. you can also use tahaxan to view that file (in the rom). This is useful as you can then export the palette as a picture (or as a pallete) and use that to edit your image.

I recommend using the palete file from previous and editing your image file with the limits of those colors.

If you already know of a palete file in game that has the colors you want - then why don't you just replace with that one?

thela_kid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok Thanks. I'm trying to edit the palette for Pokemon Platinum and is doesn't seem to show the palette correctly in tahaxan (and I don't see any kind of exporting as a picture or palette, just rlcn). I'm making my own entire pokemon game (with new pokemon) and need to change the palette as not to limit my sprites to the game's default palettes. I'm able to view the sprites correctly in the modified PokeDSPic Platinum, but it does not let me extract the palette.
----------
Help Please : ]

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Well the problem being that you may be stuck using the default paletes... oh and Tahaxan probably has a problem with the narc files wich is why you cannnot view them correctly.
If you know which files are being accessed by pokeDSpic finding the pallete for them shouldn't be to hard. Have you asked the creator of pokedspic this same question? They should know outright (probably would like to add the palete change as feature), once they know what you are doing...

okay the ds has two or three types of palettes one 16 color one 256 color and I am not sure if there is a third one. Anyways if you can view the palette in tahaxan - then export that as a picture you can then import that picture as a palette in CT2. using that palette to view your palete in ct2 correctly then its just a matter of replacing the colors. Exporting a picture of that palete file in ct2 correctly viewed with the right colors - then change the colors in your image editor and import that picture in over the old palete file). Test and I hope that it works.

Other wise you are going to have to really dissasseble palettes - messing with hex values and a lot of trial and error.
Which is why I tell you its easier to just stay in the limits of the previous file. (way easier) but if you can find a palette file you like - rename and use ct2 or any other nds file system tool and just replace it with the one you like.

Sorry if this doesn't make sense.

thela_kid

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the help! I noticed that tahaxan can't even display the palette correctly (or at all, really). However, I can just export the palette file I want then reuse it as many times as I want and then replace other palettes with it.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
http://tahaxan.arcnor.com/index.php?option...=36&lang=en
http://llref.emutalk.net/nds_formats.htm#NCLR
^a couples of specs of sorts for the file format.

crystaltile2 ( http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=232718 ) should be able to parse the format as well but a straight up editor is a different matter.

You might try http://d.hatena.ne.jp/loveemu/searchdiary?word=*[NDS] as well but I am not sure how well it will work for you here.

The "easiest" way would probably be to edit the picture as you want and dump the palette to a file and manually hex edit it into the palette file.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @K3Nv2, try SanDisk format tool?