Hacking How can anyone be okay with Gateway's behavior?

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
seriously now????

sOVvuTe.jpg

Reactions: Ryft

Ryukouki

See you later, guys.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, I am not; but if you pay a little more attention to the whole sittuation, people are acting as if Gateway replaced R4i's safe work though a attack to their official site with a bricker code without letting them know about this.

I know you are disappointed of Gateway, I have read your posts, but at the end they are not responsible of who is going to tweak their work. At least they released their first launchers without any protection, and now thanks to them the 3DS scene is emerging instead of being held by a couple of hackers behind curtains. And don't let me mention the irresponsibility of Normatt again...

It has nothing to do with that. Am I disappointed? Yeah, I could be but that is not my point. I admire what this team has done thus far, I think they have real potential in what they have done, but destroying consoles to the point beyond repair is something that nobody in their right minds should acknowledge. The reason I point that out? Innocent users are collateral damage. I find that we members here have lost sight of what's going on with the outside users, the innocent ones who have had nothing to do with it. Like, the doting parent who wants to buy their kid a new toy. They hear, you can pay one game price, and play hundreds, they'll open their wallets, pay for it, and some random time later their kid starts crying over a dead console, something the parent has no idea over.

You can easily argue that, they should have done their research thus far. But the thing is, some people just don't know what to expect, and they cannot be held accountable for it. Since we are members of this forum it is easy to lose sight of that. We see noobs coming in day in day out asking the same old thing over and over again, honing our knowledge and helping these users on their way. At this point our answers have become mechanized and it's the same old thing day in day out. It's easy for us to justify because we have most of the picture in front of us. But for the guy who's out in a third world market who runs into this, he might not know what he's purchasing. And there's nothing wrong with that, I see it all the time with some folk in my family who have purchased these things in the past. They buy clones because of lack of knowledge. There's a huge difference here, one that I find to be the crux of the issue, between ignorance and newb. If you're ignorant, you know the extent of what you're going into and you purchase it anyway. I don't have a response for those people, because they know what they're doing. But if you're still a newb, you just don't have the knowledge to make that decision, and most of the time they act on their wallets. Or to shut their kid up. You get the idea. These innocent users should not be held accountable for what a rival team has done. It has nothing to do with me not paying any attention at all. I have seen what is going on but I'm just not the type to acknowledge this latest action of theirs.

EDIT: Not to mention their latest email. It just seems really off from what they used to send out. They sounded genuinely excited in the beginning and as of late the words they use, the arrogance they've come up with, it makes them sound like they don't give a fuck. I'm not gonna stick up for a team that says things like that. You've received all of their emails thus far, compare the earliest ones to what they have sent out in the past week. Having received all of their emails thus far, except for that latest one, I'm just not sure if it's even legitimate at this point. It just feels completely off.

EDIT 3: This whole argument is just pointless as hell considering we're trying to justify the actions of a piracy based flash chip. Color me silly, but we don't have any authority to argue on such a matter at this time. :P

Reactions: NEP and gamefan5

wintermute808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Say what you want, I find it really sad how people can be fanboys of a Flashcart manufacturer. I give credit to Gateway doing some work, but they didn't create the Flashcart itself. They created software to go on a flashcart that was designed by Nintendo. I really hope it was just an accident from gateway but it's quite clear they planned this (read their earlier posts "warning" not to use clone carts than suddenly they release anti-clone firmware). That being said I also agree the Clonecarts should have done some testing and I will wait awhile to see if either change their policies (I'll get an MT-Card for now as that seems to be safe). I have no horse in this as I would never be as dumb to update a firmware for weeks until I see if it's working good. I'm putting my money to the people don't want to destroy people's 3DSs, that's all there is to it.

I am fanboy to whatever device works, call me crazy.
I agree though, the negligence on R4i's part clearly indicates that they want to "destroy people's 3DSs" by distributing un-tested firmware and they wont receive my financial support.
I bought a Gateway 3DS, used it as specified, and everything is working fine. Those having trouble with their software must have not followed the directions.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's known that Gateway created the code, but then again, nothing of this would have happened if R4i would have done their job at properly analysing their code to remove the bricker part of it.

And even better, R4i should have done their own code in the first place.

And again you put the blame on R4i. Don't get me wrong, the cloning of R4i was wrong, very wrong. But they have nothing to do with the bricking.

I'm not defending them, but I won't blame R4i about something they didn't do. It's not R4i's fault that Gateway decided to "protect" their product by destroying +200$ 3DS of the customer that, for the most part, doesn't know the detail of the whole clone story to begin with.

Even worst, they're not hurting R4i's that much. R4i already have the money in their pocket and people that doesn't go dept in this story will still buy R4i.

MAMENUTOR

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
just my two cents here, it sucks that some ppls consoles got bricked. its shitty that gateway actualy placed the code that makes this happen. BUT at the end of the day gw didnt went ahead and bricked the consoles. so its not their fault. you can go and say its wrong all you want but i could also say ppl playing pirated games is wrong so they had it coming. and we can go on forever. the way i see it they just protected their investment the best way they knew, too bad for the ppl who trusted the clones and their original code crap. but again its not gws fault. it is moraly wrong i guess but i think we are way past that anyway.

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Nintendo: You are trying to bypass our protections? We will patch it! You are bricking your consoles with unauthorized software? We don´t care! But thank you, is good to see you buying our consoles... again.

Reactions: Kippykip

Kippykip

j e f f
Trophies
Website
kippykip.com
XP
Country
Australia
Any program that pretends to do one thing, but actually contains a hidden maliciously written piece of code for a secret agenda, is a Trojan. This was a Trojan.

I thought trojan was when something bad happens as soon as you run it (That's where it gets it's name)
worm was when it's stealthy or something and triggers on a certain set of instructions (e.g. a date)

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just my two cents here, it sucks that some ppls consoles got bricked. its shitty that gateway actualy placed the code that makes this happen. BUT at the end of the day gw didnt went ahead and bricked the consoles. so its not their fault. you can go and say its wrong all you want but i could also say ppl playing pirated games is wrong so they had it coming. and we can go on forever. the way i see it they just protected their investment the best way they knew, too bad for the ppl who trusted the clones and their original code crap. but again its not gws fault. it is moraly wrong i guess but i think we are way past that anyway.

Ok, let's talk about this. How it's not GW's fault that they purposely written a kill code inside their beta firmware aimed specifically at bricking the 3DS of the customer? Of all the ways to "protect their investment", they decided to destroy the property of customers that have nothing to do with the cloning? They're not hurting R4i, they're hurting customers.

I thought trojan was when something bad happens as soon as you run it (That's where it gets it's name)
worm was when it's stealthy or something and triggers on a certain set of instructions (e.g. a date)

You're 14 page too late to reply to this Kippykip

wintermute808

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Way to spin things but it's ok not surprised. I was going to get a Gateway but after they went out of their way to Brick 3DS's I won't.

Now that your argument for "monopolization" and "corporatism" was completely unraveled like a cheap spool you claim you don't want a gateway because of some moral value to hold when deciding which company to support when pirating video games. The spin is all on you sir.

kyogre123

Mexican Pride
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
And again you put the blame on R4i. Don't get me wrong, the cloning of R4i was wrong, very wrong. But they have nothing to do with the bricking.

I'm not defending them, but I won't blame R4i about something they didn't do. It's not R4i's fault that Gateway decided to "protect" their product by destroying +200$ 3DS of the customer that, for the most part, doesn't know the detail of the whole clone story to begin with.

Even worst, they're not hurting R4i's that much. R4i already have the money in their pocket and people that doesn't go dept in this story will still buy R4i.
I put the blame on R4i because they released the dangerous launcher... it feels tedious and unnecessary to repeat this, but then others are not getting the point.
It's not Gateway's fault that R4i decided to use their code and then not reverting it properly but instead just do a few patches to make it compatible with their card.

Even if you are not defending R4i, you are indeed trying to cover them for something the should have acknowledged, especially after they forewarned Gateway that they were cynically copying whatever thing they released.

And in attempt to avoid a pointless reply, yes, I know that Gateway created the code for their own launcher.

Reactions: inuyasha555

Huntereb

Trophies
Website
lewd.pics
XP
Country
United States
Am I the only person on these forums who believes that someone is innocent until proven guilty?

Just because people are making wild accusations that Gateway intentionally bricked consoles does not make it true.

There is no definitive proof that Gateway has intentionally bricked anyone's consoles.

Yeah there is, where have you been the past three days?

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I put the blame on R4i because they released the dangerous launcher... it feels tedious and unnecessary to repeat this, but then others are not getting the point.
It's not Gateway's fault that R4i decided to use their code and then not reverting it properly but instead just do a few patches to make it compatible with their card.

Even if you are not defending R4i, you are indeed trying to cover them for something the should have acknowledged, especially after they forewarned Gateway that they were cynically copying whatever thing they released.

And in attempt to avoid a pointless reply, yes, I know that Gateway created the code for their own launcher.

Well it's your belief that R4i are mostly (completely?) to blame and I got no problem with this, you have the right of your opinions. But I strongly disagree.

To put it more drastically, let's say GW's would have literally "shot" every customer in the head, would R4i should still be the one to get the jail sentence? I know I'm going extreme here, but I find it an efficient way to show my way of thinking. Still keeping the same fantasy, I would have been "more" ok with GW if they shooted R4i instead......(ok not really, killing is bad :P)

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find it Ironic... A warning on Nintendo's instructions about third party devices bricking systems. "DAMN! THEM! THEY CAN'T BRICK OUR SHIT! BOOOOO!

An illegal device... PURPOSELY bricks people's DS.... "Oh... That's okay! Your stupid! You should have used THIS UNOFFICAL CARD! Now.. Please... Be off with you and your ripoff of an already illegal card! Let me go stroke Gatway off and let them take my ass! Oh.. And your stupid! Obviously my illegal card is better than you're illegal card."

And I find it Ironic that people who by the Gateway to avoid buying games... have the GALL to talk about other people just wanting to "save a few dollars."

Belmondo

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I made the conscious decision to order a gateway specifically because r4 and 3dslink are just clones. I thought about if it was worth buying a r4 and saving 20$ but for me it wasn't, I guess others decided to save the 20$.

Rob Blou

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I never predicted anything. I also don't even remember anyone specifically who was arguing with me for stating my opinions. All I did was say "I'm returning my Gateway if they don't release FW within a week.

It's not my fault at all that people I can't even name right now got upset with me for stating my personal decision. I never said I hated Gateway.

But, I think it goes without saying that things have changed right now. I'm not as much in the minority as before, so I can criticize Gateway and people will agree. Sorry that doesn't make you happy.

BTW, "The early days of 2014" have passed, still no new firmware.

I must agree with you ... I think that the reason why people were arguing with you (me included) is that you were angry because Gateway were not fast enough to release a new firmware. Now you can say that you did the right thing and you have a good reason to be angry at them ;)

Wisenheimer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree.

However, Gateway has *ZERO* liability for what firmware r4i distributes to their customers.
The bricked consoles are the responsibility of r4i.
Gateway didn't force r4i to use any firmware. r4i chose what firmware to include.

r4i is the incompetent company that should be sued.

Irrelevant.
r4i is liable.
Gateway has 100% zero liability for what firmware r4i distributes.
Suggesting otherwise is just wishing.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I strongly suspect that courts here would disagree that Gateway is not responsible for malicious code they wrote bricking a users console, even if that code was sold installed on a device by another manufacturer.

Most likely, in a civil case, the liability for damage to end users of non-Gateway devices would be shared between Gateway (for knowingly creating the malicious code) and the other manufacturers, which were negligent in installing the code on their consumer devices. It might be a 50/50 liability split, or it might be divided up some other way, but I doubt a court would rule that Gateway has no liability in such a case.

Reactions: NEP

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: I've done serial experiments lots of times. Like mixing Capn Crunch and Honeycombs together.