Hacking How can anyone be okay with Gateway's behavior?

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
True now they could have said "We made our firmware so that clones will brick your system". Tho it seem as if there were researching it for some time. s memory corruption could be the issue, not a complete nand wipe. Who has proof of such "kill code"?

Simply the facts that :

- All R4i started bricking the 3DS at the same time all of a sudden after weeks without problems. If it wasn't planned, then R4i would have bricked 3DS from the beginning.
- GW responded extremely fast to these problem about customer "they don't care about" and knew a whole lot about it.

You got a big nice post on the homepage explaining everything, why don't you go and read it?

spinner09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
all things considered even if im not ok with the gw team methods. i would still chose them given the other options are:

1 buy a clone and risk bricking my console.
2 buy no 3ds flashcart and spend thousands of dollars in games.

once you see past all the moral issues and the rage. its just the smartest decition.

There is no risk anymore. 3dslink and r4i have already patched the launcher and removed the bricking code days ago. Only people using the older firmware are at risk.
And you'd be a fool for actually supporting Gateway after they pulled a stunt like this. They're not getting any of my money, that's for sure.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty simple. Gateway is not responsible for code anyone else distributes. If R4 steals their code, doesn't understand it, and screws things up, that's 100% on R4. As long as Gateway's code works for their devices that the code is intended for, what it does when unsupported modifications are made is not on them. Maybe R4 should have done some better testing of the code they stole and modified before distributing it.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Even more reason to not mess with something that was obviously completely over their heads. Again, the same thing probably would have resulted from someone like me, who has no coding experience whatsoever, messing with it. This makes the R4i/3DSLink team sound even more negligent. They might as well have been complete novices for all the difference it made in the end.

Again, in the wrong.

Listen, I'll not start a course about how programming work, but what is to understand is :

- R4i decided to steal the box (program) of GW an patch it so it work on their system
- This process is complex, really complex. R4i aren't amateur, it take a lot of knowledge to make a clone like this. As much as you hate the idea, R4i are also a bunch of genius that knew exactly what they were doing.
- GW been pissed about R4i, they then decided to bomb the box so it'll explode in R4i customers's face. R4i probably didn't expect GW to do something that "evil". Either way I don't think R4i care much anyway since they already got their money, people will still buy their card and this whole little controversy really just make GW look like jerk.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Simply the facts that :

- All R4i started bricking the 3DS at the same time all of a sudden after weeks without problems. If it wasn't planned, then R4i would have bricked 3DS from the beginning.
- GW responded extremely fast to these problem about customer "they don't care about" and knew a whole lot about it.

You got a big nice post on the homepage explaining everything, why don't you go and read it?
Too lazy, but it could have been the change in code done it, and they figured out what was happening soon after they heard about it ;)

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's pretty simple. Gateway is not responsible for code anyone else distributes. If R4 steals their code, doesn't understand it, and screws things up, that's 100% on R4. As long as Gateway's code works for their devices that the code is intended for, what it does when unsupported modifications are made is not on them. Maybe R4 should have done some better testing of the code they stole and modified before distributing it.

Again, if you make a bomb to kill, it doesn't matter if you use a courier to distribute it, you're the one at fault, not the courier.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Too lazy, but it could have been the change in code done it, and they figured out what was happening soon after they heard about it ;)

Excuse me but...what?

I don't understand what you mean.

EDIT : Are you talking about GW fast and detailed reply? Then no you cannot make a clear statement that 100% GW card are secure and 100% clone card will brick without days of testing.

spinner09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The writer of malicious code is always responsible for its contents. Just like trojan horses which are hidden into more peaceful programs.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Fortunately, this isn't a bomb, there's nobody dead, and every single analogy in this thread is stupid.

Well I'm sorry to hear you loathe analogy that much :glare:

Let me rewrite that in a sentence you'll be able to bear :

Again, if you make a kill-code to brick, it doesn't matter if you use a cloner to distribute it, you're the one at fault, not the distributor.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't think R4i care much anyway since they already got their money
Winner. They don't give a shit. They distributed code to their customers with the knowledge that they had no idea what that code did for the most part. That's negligence.

I never said Gateway was innocent in all this. Quite the opposite, in fact. But who was right there to walk into an obvious trap created by them? Their competitors. At least now Wile E Coyote won't be running into that painted-on tunnel again. Hopefully what results is that we get some original work out of R4i or another team, which would drive legitimate competition and innovation in the 3DS scene. Instead of just more imitation.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't dislike analogy, but all the ones in this thread have been awful. Also, for any analogy that somewhat helps one side on a subject, you can always find another that supports the other side.

Again, if you make a kill-code to brick, it doesn't matter if you use a cloner to distribute it, you're the one at fault, not the distributor.

They did not use a distributor. Their code was stolen and then used in an unsupported manner which makes it not their responsibility.

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They did not use a distributor. Their code was stolen and then used in an unsupported manner which makes it not their responsibility.

Distributed, stolen, teleported, it doesn't change anything. R4i aren't the one that purposely bricked the 3DS, GW did.

spinner09

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If the firmware for any product is modified and used in an unsupported manner on a third-party device, and somewhere along the line a consumer installs it wrong and it bricks the device accidentally, then you are right.

However, this situation goes far beyond that. Gateway purposefully wrote malicious code to damage the competition and their consumers. It was calculated, premeditated, and executed on a grand scale effecting many thousands of users. It wasn't a simple isolated accident. They even programmed a delay into it so they wouldn't brick right away (to ensure as many people had it installed as possible).

This wasn't a simple "accidental bricking due to unsupported use", this was espionage. It was a trojan that they KNEW would be installed on competing devices, and knew would damage innocent consumers. In common law, criminal intent plays a big role in judging a person, and in a situation such as this, GW did something in bad faith with a malicious purpose. They had bad intentions. Any court in the world would find them guilty.

Reactions: Cyberdrive

ELok

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Winner. They don't give a shit. They distributed code to their customers with the knowledge that they had no idea what that code did for the most part. That's negligence.

I never said Gateway was innocent in all this. Quite the opposite, in fact. But who was right there to walk into an obvious trap created by them? Their competitors. At least now Wile E Coyote won't be running into that painted-on tunnel again. Hopefully what results is that we get some original work out of R4i or another team, which would drive legitimate competition and innovation in the 3DS scene. Instead of just more imitation.

Damn you're hard to follow. How the hell there's negligence? (and please don't force me to fetch a dictionary)

And sry about the coyote and your little fantasy, but it'll not stop R4i from copying GW in the future. But doesn't that make R4i bad guy? There were the bad guys from the beginning and they don't care because they have most competitively priced product so people will buy them. And now GW have been flagged as bad guys as well. GW aren't the good guys anymore so hey, free support!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Damn you're hard to follow. How the hell there's negligence? (and please don't force me to fetch a dictionary)

And sry about the coyote and your little fantasy, but it'll not stop R4i from copying GW in the future. But doesn't that make R4i bad guy? There were the bad guy from the beginning and they don't care because they have most competitively priced product so people will buy them. And now GW have been also flagged as bad guy as well. GW aren't the good guys anymore so hey, free support!
Nobody is going to support a product that has a track record of bricking consoles. R4i will probably start distributing flash carts under a different name for that exact reason.

I'll pull out the dictionary for you. It's the first thing that comes up on Google, as a matter of fact. Simple.

neg·li·gence
1. failure to take proper care in doing something.
Law
- failure to use reasonable care, resulting in damage or injury to another.

R4i distributed software to their customers, that they claimed to be their own let's not forget, and failed to understand the extent of what that software could or would accomplish when run. If they were a legitimate business, they would easily be found guilty of criminal negligence in a court of law. Then, when they decided to claim that the software was actually created by someone else, they would be found guilty of copyright infringement, or at the very least, plagiarism, and it would make no difference in that they would still be forced to pay a settlement to reimburse their customers for damages caused.

Reactions: Crass

Crass

Rock me Dr. Zaius
Trophies
Website
www.ds-scene.net
XP
Country
United States

Let me rewrite that in a sentence you'll be able to bear :

So much stupid in this post. I can't even.

If you are a cloner, and you've sold a product to customers, then release software for that product, and the software was stolen and they didn't even understand what it does but still released it to their customers, then they are the true scum. If R4 and the other cloners were making their own shit this wouldn't have ever happened would it?

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
How can anyone be ok with all you downright despicable people pirating games Nintendo and their publishers have spend years making?
Its despicable that you wont pay the companies the money they deserve for making the games you all enjoy
:)

Tokenx

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is hilarious. Somehow, people are blaming Gateway for competing companies' products that brick people's 3ds consoles.

I'm sure if R4 wrote their own completely original code that accidentally bricked chumps' 3ds's, you'd still find a way to blame Gateway.

Can you whiners just please suck it up and not scrimp on quality next time?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/maY0JULh5P0