Hacking How can anyone be okay with Gateway's behavior?

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
All I can say is, what happens if Gateway make a mistake in a future firmware update and this bricking routine is accidentally activated for all their own flashcard users. Are you really going to keep using your Gateway knowing that there is code present in the launcher designed to brick 3DS consoles? What if some video game developer that figures out how to detect a launcher decides to include code in a game you're pirating that detects and modifies the launcher? DS games included piracy detection routines, how long will it be before 3DS games do the same? I know I wouldn't be willing to take that risk, no matter how small.

The code should never have been written in the first place. Why didn't they just try and degrade the experience for competitor flash cards? If they made it crash intermittently or regularly remove the exploit, people would have been taking to the Internet to complain about how poor quality the competitor cards are. Gateway would have come out smelling of roses in almost everyone's eyes.

As long as this code exists in the launcher, every user is at risk, even if that risk is only small.

cateater1

Trophies
XP
Country
The code should never have been written in the first place. Why didn't they just try and degrade the experience for competitor flash cards? If they made it crash intermittently or regularly remove the exploit, people would have been taking to the Internet to complain about how poor quality the competitor cards are. Gateway would have come out smelling of roses in almost everyone's eyes.

Thinking on that might have been a better option.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
I think, as a community, we should stand together, we should support each other and let Gateway and the clone companies know that we're not happy with the actions that led to our fellow gamers being burned. You know, instead of blindly defending the root of all this and mocking those unfortunate consumers, or repeatedly saying "they knew the risks".

GregoryRasputin

The PS3 Scenes Most Hated Person
Banned
Trophies
Website
playstationhax.it
XP
Country
I think, as a community, we should stand together, we should support each other and let Gateway and the clone companies know that we're not happy with the actions that led to our fellow gamers being burned. You know, instead of blindly defending the root of all this and mocking those unfortunate consumers, or repeatedly saying "they knew the risks".

Gateway and the clone companies don't care, they got their money, that's all they do care about.

Reactions: McHaggis

DarkKnigh_t

Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Most flashcard users are here on gbatemp and thats where they get their money from us. We have to let them know like McHaggis above said that we wont blindly just give them our money and that they can do what they want. I blame both of them for whats happening and who says its not going to continue.

Black-Ice

Founder of the Church of Renamon
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I buy all my 3ds games but I'm just thinking what it would be like if that happened to me 3ds is very expensive where I live :/

If you choose to pirate games and use illegal hardware in your 3ds, despite the clear warnings from nintendo not to.
You get what you deserve when its bricked.

People need to understand, pirates don't have rights.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
mathieulh said:
The way I see it, is that Gateway developers wrote the actual code that bricks the consoles, whether it is triggered or not under specific conditions is irrelevant, considering they wrote it, they are either directly or indirectly responsible for damaging those consoles. I do hope they will know better in their future versions than to put code that performs permanent damages on consumers' units. There are plenty of ways to make it a nightmare for clone cards manufacturers to steal their code without damaging countless units and gateway's own reputation along with it.

The fact that rival companies stole Gateway's code does not absolve them of their share of responsibility in this matter.

People should know when they go too far.

Just my 2 cents.​
Gateway is not under contract to provide r4i anything.
Show me the contract agreement.
There is zero legal liability for Gateway here.

Reactions: wintermute808

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Gateway is not under contract to provide r4i anything.
Show me the contract agreement.
There is zero legal liability for Gateway here.
They KNEW the code would be stolen and intended for it to brick consoles once it was stolen. If you know a robber will come and steal your couch, you don't rig the couch to blow up the house of the person who will buy it from the thief. That HAS to be against some laws.

ground

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
You're a retard and you haven't been following the thread. Gateway intentionally installed a Trojan to screw over innocent consumers by bricking their consoles. Gateway wrote it, they programmed it, and installed it. Damn right they are 100% to blame. If they were located in the US, they'd be sued into oblivion.

"Quality"? Fucking LOL, dude. All of these flash carts (whether it's Gateway or clones) are just cheap plastic devices made in China. They are all prone to break. NONE of them have fucking "quality". The only difference is the cloners are less greedy and have a more fair price than fucking 85 bucks (which is absurd).
yeah lets sue them! or at least nintendo for making a console which could be bricked!!!
and I consider a product which doesn't brick a 3ds high quality compared to something that bricks the 3ds

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
They KNEW the code would be stolen and intended for it to brick consoles once it was stolen. If you know a robber will come and steal your couch, you don't rig the couch to blow up the house of the person who will buy it from the thief. That HAS to be against some laws.
I read about some idiot kept messing out with this guy's car, like keying it or something. the guy was an electrician and he rigged he car body up to a strong battery, to zap the guy lol.. but yeah I think he got in trouble when the guy got hurt.. it sucks

deishido

Texture Modder
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
while what they did wasn't the best way to do it, its part of the deal. anyone using gateway or the clone carts is automatically voiding their warranty and cannot complain when their illegal and not authorized actions lead to a brick. gateway told you this could happen, Nintendo told you this could happen. don't be so hurt and surprised when it inevitably does. anyone whos been around the block and knows how this delicate operation works will tell you its all a part of the game and sometimes others get involved before everything is ready. that's why most high profile hackers have kept their projects under wraps, even now. not just for the theivery, but for their own accidents in case they inadvertently create a kill code like this.( its easy to do on accident when we don't know everything about the system) now, for those of you who havent been in the scene long enough to remember the good ol days, we had the exact same problem with the Wii and the Ds year and years ago, its not an issue now because we've learned so much from previous mistakes and mishaps like this one.

whining and threatening to boycott a company that deals in illegal activities is like calling the cops on your drug dealer when he gives you low quality goods. its moronic. its all a part of business and is especially prominent in dirty business like this. if you're not ready for the consequenses you shouldn't be playing the game. and for the record, the consequenses could be much worse. ninty has absolute rights to confiscate any 3ds sent in containing any of this malicious code without refund or replacement and could go so far as having the 'victim' of this malicious code arrested, sued or otherwise prosicuted for piracy. which could end up being anything as small as a slap on the wrist to jail time with a huge fine.

tl;dr you knew this could happen, so quit whining. if you don't pirate, it won't happen to you.

D

Deleted User

I was reading through some of the responses Gateway has apparently said, and this caught my eye:
"It is tough
because the people behind the clones (MT/3DS Link/R4i 3DS etc.) are using
gangsters tactics to make more money."
Well fuck me, Clone Flashcart companies are killing off the competition, literally. Fuck all these bricking lies, the companies are gunning down the Gateway family. We've got people being killed left right and centre, all for the money. What a cruel sight to behold.

osirisjem

I miss the Wii remotes
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
They KNEW the code would be stolen and intended for it to brick consoles once it was stolen. That HAS to be against some laws.
None.
It might be morally dicey.

r4i is just a parasite anyway.

There is only one product. Saving a few bucks to get your 3DS bricked is a bad idea.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
while what they did wasn't the best way to do it, its part of the deal. anyone using gateway or the clone carts is automatically voiding their warranty and cannot complain when their illegal and not authorized actions lead to a brick. gateway told you this could happen, Nintendo told you this could happen. don't be so hurt and surprised when it inevitably does. anyone whos been around the block and knows how this delicate operation works will tell you its all a part of the game and sometimes others get involved before everything is ready. that's why most high profile hackers have kept their projects under wraps, even now. not just for the theivery, but for their own accidents in case they inadvertently create a kill code like this.( its easy to do on accident when we don't know everything about the system) now, for those of you who havent been in the scene long enough to remember the good ol days, we had the exact same problem with the Wii and the Ds year and years ago, its not an issue now because we've learned so much from previous mistakes and mishaps like this one.

whining and threatening to boycott a company that deals in illegal activities is like calling the cops on your drug dealer when he gives you low quality goods. its moronic. its all a part of business and is especially prominent in dirty business like this. if you're not ready for the consequenses you shouldn't be playing the game. and for the record, the consequenses could be much worse. ninty has absolute rights to confiscate any 3ds sent in containing any of this malicious code without refund or replacement and could go so far as having the 'victim' of this malicious code arrested, sued or otherwise prosicuted for piracy. which could end up being anything as small as a slap on the wrist to jail time with a huge fine.

tl;dr you knew this could happen, so quit whining. if you don't pirate, it won't happen to you.

You might have little recourse as far as warranties go but you can certainly complain and try to call people out on their actions. This is especially true when the causes of the bricking were not the usual suspects of things like not following instructions, using beta software made using an incomplete understanding of the system, fiddling yourself with internals of the system you do not understand and so on and instead the cause of the bricking was a deliberate and malicious action. If it were one of the former my responses would be along the lines of "read instructions next time", "it is called beta software/early stage modding for a reason" and "this is why you make backups and understand what you are doing". Likewise if Gateway had bricked the clone flash carts then my responses would also have been "sucks to be you, buy another or move on".

On being illegal it depends where you are in the world, and that does not just mean somewhere in the world where a good investment is otherwise known as a kevlar vest.

Similarly a boycott is a consumer/community led action, it has nothing to do with any authorities.

I also disagree strongly with the idea that Nintendo being able to retain devices or arrest/sue people. They could charge you shipping to return your device and it might form the basis of a further investigation but it would need to see a further investigation first.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: and yes ik im stupid for using it