Homebrew Discussion - Mugen

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by Ricj, Apr 21, 2009.

Apr 21, 2009

Homebrew Discussion - Mugen by Ricj at 2:37 AM (2,015 Views / 0 Likes) 11 replies

1. Ricj
    OP

Newcomer Ricj Member

United States
    I was hopping to get a exchange of ideas with the people around here about this... seeing oh just how far Wii Homebrew has come in just 2 years. There is such great things that people were able to develop and create.

So it comes to mind the idea of Porting MUGEN to Wii as a homebrew aplication... and i was wondering, what do you guys think? what do you know about it? Is it possible?

For those of you who don't know... Mugen is a Freeware aplication that's been around for quite sometime. It allows you to basicaly build your own fighting game, using characters from other games. It's all 2d and spritebased and the community is vast (if a bit underground on the current years), but you know, it would be just so cool to actually be bale to load Mugen via the Homebrew channel (or maybe as it's own Channel?)

So, what ou guys think? is it doable?

2. iritegood

Member iritegood GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Portable? Definitely no. Recreate a similar game? I don't see how it couldn't be done. Two things to note:

1) You're not the first person to think of this, your idea is neither original or suggest a clever implementation. Every "can this game be remade for the Wii/DS?" thread has been done. Learn to search.
    2) If you know how to program or have any skills useful in developing MUGEN-Wii, then start a project. If not, then shut up because asking if it's possible does not increase the chance of it being made.

3. netware

Newcomer netware Member

United States
    wow.. what an ass xD..

anyway Ricj searching a bit on the forum.. i came up with

http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=86031

you should read that topic..

------------------------------------------

iritegood is right.. you should search first and try not to duplicate threads [​IMG]..

and iritegood is wrong also..

one measly comment can make a difference.. i.e. how CIOSCorp was born ...

4. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    except that we all know that 99% of the "hey, I've a dream, why not port XXX" thread are just full of craps and lead to nothing except sterile discussions and useless praises

CIOSCorp came from an idea, you do not need ideas to port Mugen or any other of you favs app to the Wii, you need a sourcecode and a motivated dev, nothing more

5. Ricj
    OP

Newcomer Ricj Member

United States
    except that... i was trying to call out a polite discussion about the possibilities. Not long ago people would say that it's impossible to bypass error 002, or that it's not possible to have Wii discs with multiple Isos. let alone Play games directly from a USB HDD... the same will be with the Twilight hack and when that's no longer possible in anyway, another way will come.

Today all those things are possible on one level or another.

The scene expanded, and guess what... it's not the work of one person. What i was trying to do was an open exchange of ideas. Maybe it's something i can do, maybe it's something beyond my league but that someone ELSE can do... i don't give a fuck about credit and petty little "e-medals" i just want to see the thing grow and expand

some people just need to unclench their asses to let the stick out, and come out of their little shells and relate to other people and their work.. just that.

Thanks a lot man, but that thread isn't really going anywhere...
    not only is it almost a year old, there is not a scent of progress or ideas there. And the programming scenario for the wii is largely different these days... i actually saw that thread, and you know... it's pointless. there is nothing in there.

what was going trough my head at first was the possibility of running the main Mugen app from an SD card, right out of the Homebrew channel. Like many other games and homebrew applications are.

The structure of the program itself is not al that complex, just old and outdated. And there are active communities out there to this day talking and even releasing stuff for it. So, it wouldn't be too "crazy" to actually collab with these guys on something...

i was just wondering on your views and notions of this subject based on your own experiences with the Wii

6. TrainerAbu

Member TrainerAbu GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I guess it could happen.

About "recreating a similar engine for the Wii," it would be better just to try porting MUGEN since there's already so many characters and stages made for it already~

7. Ricj
    OP

Newcomer Ricj Member

United States
    yes i belive it would be pointless to make the engine and loose all the content already out there.

The original mugen was a DOS program that was later changed (by fans and users) to become "win mugen", and there are even programs made just to configure and run the program (make it easier to mod) i believe there is a doorway in there somewhere that would allow you to run the original exe on Wii via the HBC, maybe you would need some tweaks or a custom IOS, but it doesn't sound impossible... i just can't get my head around it yet

8. matriculated

Member matriculated GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
  9. Ricj
    OP

Newcomer Ricj Member

United States
    I would say that it's possible to push this for the Wii, although, i don't know this one all that well... how's the community for it? I'm not familiar with this engine

But either way it would be fine and great to have stuff like that on the Wii... just imagine the doors you could open for Homebrew and indie developers if we could allow people to make stuff like this... stuff like beats of rage, mugen or even, why not, rpg maker... it's not going to be easy, sure, and hey... i'm not making fun of the programs we have around today... i enjoy my wii alarm clocks, fish tanks and "first screen changer" as much as the next guy... but there is a LOT of great stuff people could be working on, together, to add even more value to the scene

10. kashin

Member kashin GBAtemp Fan

Netherlands
    @RicJ:

There are things like the errors that can be bypassed easily, all you need is to find a way around it.
    You cannot just find a way around a program running on one operating system so it'll function on another.
    I'm sure you know that, and that's why that argument is invalid.
    As the other guy said, you just need a motivated programmer, and in this case, VERY motivated and skilled, which just seems unlikely to happen.

11. Jacobeian

Member Jacobeian GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Cuba
    old news, beat of rage engine running under wii-linux
    http://destinyrevival.sailormoon.cc/node/39

12. Ricj
    OP

Newcomer Ricj Member

United States
    well, this is fantastic... it just proves that it is possible! I truly hope i'm not the only one seeing this as a good idea to work at...