Homebrew Bounty 2018 Month 1: Switch Tools and Utilities

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Oct 6, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XorTroll

XorTroll Dev: Goldleaf, emuiibo, Brew.js...

Dec 28, 2017
    Spain
    Nowhere
    Guys, I released a new update to NSPack, a big one!

NSPack - simple NSP package and NCA content builder

Updated to v0.2, Many things changed!

Hi everyone! Ready to build some custom NSPs or NCAs?
    NSPack is a simple GUI tool to build NSP packages and NCA contents, using an embedded hacPack executable.

This GUI is 100% legal as it just uses hacPack.

nspack.PNG
    nspack.1.PNG
    nspack.2.PNG

Using the builder

There are some basic elements you need to provide at least to be able to make a NSP:
    • Title ID: 16 hex characters (example: 0100CAFE1234BEEF) - any title ID should work.
    • Name: the title's name, which will be the same for all the languages.
    • Author: the author/developer's name, which will also be the same for all the languages.
    • Version: the version string (1.0.0, 2.0beta1), limited to 16 characters.
    • Product code: a simple code string (SMO's product code: LA-H-AAACA), no matter what does it have.
    • ExeFS directory: any title needs to have a ExeFS, which contains the compiled source code and the metadata NPDM.
    • Icon: provide any icon, as it will be resized to 256x256, otherwise the defaut one will be used. It's recommended to use an image which is 256x256 or bigger.
    Appart from those, there are some other optional features to add or customize:
    • RomFS: the directory containing extra files for the title.
    • Logo: the custom PNG and GIF images which are shown when booting a title.
    • Important / IPNotices / Support HTML: this three are legal information HTML documents, which can be accessed from the home menu.
    • Offline HTML: this HTML documents are useless when making homebrew NSPs, but can be used (if you know how) to make your own video players...
    • Screenshots: Will the title allow taking screenshots?
    • Video: Will the title allow recording gameplay?
    • User account: Will the title ask for a user account when booting it?
    Using asset files

You can also save the assets as a asset file (*.nsxml format) if you are going to use that as a template for making NSPs.

Planned stuff

This is still a beta version, as much other stuff is planned:
    • Allow to load NACP files directly
    • Direct conversion from NRO to NSP, or any easy way to create NRO forwarders
    • Conversion from XCI to NSP
    • Add updates or add-on content support
    Useful links

ChangeLog (0.1.1 -> 2.0)
    • Fixed Offline HTML and custom logo, they didn't work properly work
    • Huge UI redesign, now with a gray-purple theme!
    • Added NCA building support, for control, program, legalinfo and offline NCA types
    • Added new NSP options: screenshot, video capture, startup user account
    • Fixed data size and data journal size, now building retail games should work

IMPORTANT!
    • Installing and running NSPs can get you banned. Although this NSPs are not titlekey-encrypted (ovbiously), using them can be dangerous.
    • If the NSP doesn't run on your console, it can be for various reasons: used a title ID which is smallet than the NPDM's max title ID, not using a correct key generation...
    • Don't try building titles which ask for a user, because they could fail as generated NSPs don't ask for a user.
    • For the build process the program creates a temporary directory on the same folder as the EXE. Don't try messing up with that folder or deleting it while the NSP making process, because it could crash the program. Anyway, reopening the program should reset the directory.
    • As this program is made using WPF, it won't probably work on any other OSs but Windows (Wine supports WinForms but doesn't support WPF)
    Enjoy making your own NSP packages or NCA contents!

Last edited by Cyan, Nov 5, 2018 - Reason: added download center link
    Zer0w, gabe_derp, ZachSZ and 5 others like this.
  2. caesura

caesura Newbie

Newcomer
    Nov 2, 2018
    United States
    EDIT: Not applicable to this category, sorry!

Last edited by caesura, Nov 2, 2018
  3. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    thanks for joining our community and entering the bounty :) I have upgraded your account, you can post links now
    just remember you also need to upload your project to the GBAtemp download center, this rule is stated in the first post

4. Scarlet

Scarlet A Convenient Oddity

pip Reporter
    GBAtemp Patron
    Scarlet is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 7, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Middleish North-Left
    I'm not really sure if this is what you're after, since it's kinda not a homebrew utility, but it's definitely a handy tool. I'll leave it to the judge's discretion as to whether it counts lol.

This basically just goes through every screenshot in your Switch's album folder, and sorts them by the name you give them. It might not be too useful for people unless they horde screenshots or want to easily find all the screenshots and videos they have for a specific game for a review or something, but it's something I've found handy.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    All the usage information is on the download centre link, but I'd like to think it's fairly self-explanatory. If there are any questions or issues, feel free to raise them with me and I can try to sort it out.

:arrow: Download

5. damysteryman

damysteryman I am too busy IRL these days...

Oct 4, 2007
    XC2SaveNETThingy
    A Windows PC Save Editor package for Xenoblade Chronicles 2 + XC2 Torna The Golden Country Expansion

A few months ago, I made a save editor for Xenoblade Chronicles 2, which enabled users to edit nearly anything within their save file.
    But then Torna The Golden Country DLC Expansion came out, which used a different save file to the base game, and obviously the save editor only supported the base game save file.

But now... after a lot of user requests, and a lot of me being too busy with other stuff in life to work on it, I have finally completed a save editor for XC2 Torna The Golden Country!
    While the original project as a whole is not new, the Torna Golden Country Expansion save editor that people have been demanding, is new.

So I figured I would enter it into this here GBAtemp Homebrew Bounty Competition. :)

So now I present...
    The XC2SaveNETThingy package!
    BUT
    ...with today's MAJOR UPDATE: the inclusion of the new Torna Golden Country Expansion save editor, XC2IraSaveNETThingy!

Much like how the original save editor, XC2Bf2SaveNETThingy, can edit plenty of stuff in a Xeboblade Chronicles 2 save file, XC2IraSaveNETThingy can edit a lot of the data in a Torna Golden Country save file. It can handle the new format used by the Torna Golden Country save file, and some of the GUI has been redesigned to properly present this data to the user in a way that actually makes sense in the context of the Torna Expansion's gameplay, hence another editor app separate from the base game save editor.

Of course, feel free to also check out XC2Bf2SaveNETThingy, the original save editor in the package, for editing save files for the base game.

Here is the README for the project:
    Here are some screenshots:
    XC2Bf2SaveNETThingy - For Xenoblade Chroniches 2 base game

Warning: Spoilers inside!

XC2IraSaveNETThingy - For XC2 Torna The Golden Country Expansion
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

More info can be found at:
    - The Forum Thread for the project
    - And of course... the :arrow: Download Center

Last edited by damysteryman, Nov 5, 2018
  6. spacemeowx2

spacemeowx2 Newbie

Oct 4, 2018
    China
    Play Lan supported games online!

Compatibale Games (tested):
    ✓ Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
    ✓ Splatoon 2
    ✓ Pokkén Tournament
    ✓ ARMS
    ✓ Titan Quest
    ✓ RetroArch (Retrogaming {Hombrew})
    ✓ Mario Tennis Aces
    ✓ Bayonetta 2

How to enable Lan mode ingame:
    SPLATOON 2: Press [L] + [R] + [Left Analog] at the local play option > Hold down until the lan mode is activated.

MARIO KART 8: Press [L] + [R] + [Left Analog] on the main menu screen.

Arms: Press [L] + [R] + [Left Analog] on the main menu screen.

Mario Tennis: Select Free Play from the Main Menu Press [Left Analog (hold down)] and press [L] + [R]

POKKEN: From the main screen select a game Press [X] + [Dpad-Down] and press [L] + [R]

Bayonetta 2: "Enter tag climax and highlight local play then hold left stick and press L+R"

GBAtemp download: https://gbatemp.net/download/switch-lan-play.35271/
    GitHub repository: https://github.com/spacemeowx2/switch-lan-play

Last edited by spacemeowx2, Nov 7, 2018
    Jonhy, n0v317y, gabe_derp and 13 others like this.
  7. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I have upgraded your account, you can try posting again now .

8. spacemeowx2

spacemeowx2 Newbie

Oct 4, 2018
    China
    Thank you but I'm still not be able to post with links

9. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    can you try again now? make a new post maybe not an old one

10. spacemeowx2

spacemeowx2 Newbie

Oct 4, 2018
    China
    still can't post reply or edit :/

Last edited by spacemeowx2, Nov 6, 2018
  11. iyenal

iyenal GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    Gen7 Engine
    [​IMG]

The First Visual Programming Homebrew Engine, now for Nintendo Switch™
    Gen7 Engine is an engine which I developed now for many months, at first to facilitate me the development of various homebrews. But after some point, Gen7 Engine was enough mature and developed... to make it a full engine, so I decided to make it a full software development kit.
    And since that, everything have been designed with novices in mind, so everyone can make his own homebrew with very little requirement, and I hope make quality ones.

[​IMG]

A multiplatform engine

Gen7 Engine uses wrappers (SDL is planned) which makes its code versatile on any platform where the wrapper is supported. You can use Gen7 Engine to compile for the Wii (I already done so), Wii U, 3DS, even the Dreamcast or mobile, as SDL are ported on these platforms.
    As I didn't had enough time to test Gen7 Engine on other platforms than the Switch, I disabled Wii support for security reasons.

Visual Programming

Yes, you can make your own homebrew without programming knowledge requirement! With blocks, compose the code of your application using the smart system of visual programming providen by Gen7 Engine. And in the future, node programming will be supported to be able to make FSM states (Finish-State System) and global view hierarchy to empower your programmation.

[​IMG]

Multiplatform itself

What better to be able to program anywhere? Gen7 Engine interface system is designed using OpenGL and hybrid Javascript which is supported on a wide range of devices, like mobile or tablets! And maybe even consoles in some cases!
    To compile you code in these devices, a cloud compilation system will be realized to set your own server or Gen7 Engine services so you can test your productions without the need of your computer.

[​IMG]

Extend your Gen7 Engine Installation

Customize Gen7 Engine for your needs and even use your own C code and librairies to not be limited by the engine, or use G3E files to extend the available events for your application and to share them.

Screens:

[​IMG]

Download and Installation:

Extract the installer, and run Gen7 installation assistant. Install package available here:
    [​IMG]
    The download transit through Microsoft Azure dedicated server
    MORE THAN 2GB IS NEEDED TO INSTALL THE ENGINE, SO CHECK BEFORE IF YOU HAVE ENOUGH SPACE!
    Little thing, the download package is so big (>1Gb) that I need to use a dedicated server for download, GBATemp upload center don't supports package size.

.NET Framework 4.5 is necessary. Gen7 Engine have been tested on Windows 10 64bits.
    Automatically, the installer will add a shortcut to Gen7 Engine Launcher on your desktop.

Support and Documentation:

Currently, I didn't had enough time to make a proper documentation. Therefore if you need any support, please join our Discord server: https://discord.gg/pXdeUqb
    If it's needed, an exclusive Gen7 Engine Discord server will be created. I also plan to make video tutorials, so stay tuned!

For issues, please use Gen7 Engine's Microsoft Azure Dev Portal repository: dev.azure.com/IDStudioTechnologies/Gen7%20Engine
    (Boards > Work Items > Bug/Feature/Issue or User Story). Thanks!

Misc. Informations:

Currently, I had to disable all the 2D sprite features, because of an update in devkitPro which makes me need to update most of the calls to the toolchain, which is not possible in the time frame given by the GBATemp Switch Bounty. Therefore a lot of updates will be done in order to restore quickly all the functionnalities.

Gen7 Engine have still a lot of room for development, for example:

• Advanced 2D support, including Collision System
    • Customized event extensions
    • Maybe in the future: 3D support, using software rendering for universal compatibility
    And Gen7 Engine is not yet enough mature and developed to make a full project using it. But the most difficult have been done, now that the base is built.
    That's why I count on you and the bounty to help me develop that project! Today, the future's project is in your hands!

Please always check updates there. By doing that, you always keep sure that you can benefit from all the new features.

Discussion thread: https://gbatemp.net/threads/gen7-engine-visual-programming-engine-for-switch.522648/

Last edited by iyenal, Nov 6, 2018
    HMP, n0v317y, gabe_derp and 27 others like this.
  12. cheuble

cheuble squid

GBAtemp Patron
    cheuble is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Feb 6, 2016
    France
    Fourside
    NSScreenshotMaker
    A manga/comics reader, usable on every Switch, even unhacked!

• How does it work?
    The Switch features an image album, although it only works with screenshots taken by the user. This tool makes the console think the images signed with it are screenshots.
    • That sounds... complicated
    Worry not, the tool is very simple to use. You just run it, set a few settings, drag and drop your files, and boom! Your files are usable on your Switch. Note: At the moment, this only works with Fat32 formatted SD Cards, but this works on every FW.
    • Is this tool new?
    Previously, it was only command line, and complicated to use. It was completely rewritten for the Bounty, and now features a GUI, as well as new simple tools to convert mangas/comics (It supports CBR/CBZ!).
    Note: Some of the new features might be broken a bit.
    Screenshots

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

By the way @Costello, I wasn't able to upload the .py file, so I had to rename it to .txt. Could you please add .py to the allowed extensions on the Download Centre?

Last edited by cheuble, Nov 6, 2018
    gabe_derp, T-hug, DayVeeBoi and 5 others like this.
  13. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    why not just zip ? if you upload a .py it might get blocked by web browsers

cheuble likes this.
  14. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I've checked the settings again. New members can't post links until they have reached a post count of at least 5. So try contributing to the site in other areas just a bit more :P

15. cpasjuste

cpasjuste GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 27, 2015
    France
    No samples, no source code ?

Rikikoo likes this.
  16. iyenal

iyenal GBAtemp Regular

Feb 11, 2016
    United States
    Sorry, this is closed source software.
    And for samples, I prefer to make a documentation soon, provided that I get the time.

17. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    we left a little bit more time for last minute entries, but now we're done :)
    Thank you everyone for entering, we will begin the vote soon.
    Results will be announced once the vote has ended.

The-4n, iyenal, graeme122 and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.