Homebrew Heretic DS

OrphanPete

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
can anyone help me to get this working? i have downloaded it and i'm using an edge card. Are there extra files i need or do i need to place specific files in certain places? any help will be greatly appreciated.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
you should read the readme...

To install:
Unzip entire contents into a directory.

Place YOUR Heretic Wad in that directory and make sure it is called Heretic.wad
NOTE: The shareware wad is named Heretic1.wad. You must rename it (or edit the "make_hereticfs.bat" file).

Unzip gbfs into the directory

Execute "make_dsHeretic.bat"
This will create dsHeretic.ds.gba

Flash dsHeretic.ds.gba onto your gba cart

Run it using PassMe/Wifime/FlashMe

Enjoy!

to add music you need the raw files which are hosted on the homepage. http://heretic.drunkencoders.com/Heretic%20music.zip

For music:
Download the Heretic music from http://heretic.drunkencoders.com.

Unzip the .raw music files into your dsHeretic directory.

Execute "make_dsHeretic_with_music.bat"
This will create dsHeretic.ds.gba

you need a retail wad or shareware wad, as one is not included with the download.

i was sucessful with renaming the file to .nds and running on my m3 lite. other wise if that fails you need a slot2 flash kit. just so you know the compiled file is too large for a 3-in-1, its 33.8mb. also the game is older using old fat code, so sram dumps can be troublesome for some kits. saves on my m3 lite only work until i overwrite the sram. dumping it doesn't do anything. finally its a dead project, updates aren't planned or to be expected.

cheers,
-another world

Slyde1052

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
meettomy.site
XP
Country
Russia
I'm curious, does the shareware wad limit the DS version to shareware content only? Or will you get the full game anyway?

EDIT I can run it in the DS emulator, but not on my DSTT. It just loads halfway then stalls.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
shareware wads are not complete, there is no way to unlock them. you would have to physically try to merge the missing content from a retail wad using a wad editor. i can't help debug a dstt i don't own one.

-another world

Slyde1052

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
meettomy.site
XP
Country
Russia
Another World said:
shareware wads are not complete, there is no way to unlock them. you would have to physically try to merge the missing content from a retail wad using a wad editor. i can't help debug a dstt i don't own one.

-another world

Well, the wad is no longer an issue (hurrrrrrrr), but I was wondering, when you run Heretic DS, do you have a slot 2 device in your DS?

I have no Slot 2 device and I think the emu is emulating a slot 2.

Could this be the problem? As the developer of the game seemed to have a hard-on for peeps running this off of a GBA cart.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
i run it renamed to .nds on my slot2 in ds mode using my r4 as a passme device. it isn't an emulator but a port of the game engine itself to run on the nds on a slot2 card in ds mode. its an older project that hasn't been updated to include slot1 kits or dldi, for example. afaik it can't *require* a slot2 for anything because it should be on a slot2. what i mean is there won't be code that when its on the slot1 its looking for a slot2 kit or ram or something.

-another world

Vague Rant

Deceptively cute
Trophies
Website
vaguerant.tumblr.com
XP
Country
Slyde1052 said:
Well, the wad is no longer an issue (hurrrrrrrr), but I was wondering, when you run Heretic DS, do you have a slot 2 device in your DS?

I have no Slot 2 device and I think the emu is emulating a slot 2.

Could this be the problem? As the developer of the game seemed to have a hard-on for peeps running this off of a GBA cart.
If you knew anything about the history of homebrew on the DS, you'd know that before SLOT-1 cards existed, all homebrew had to be run from SLOT-2 using a PassMe device in SLOT-1 (or FlashMe) to trick the DS into thinking it was running from SLOT-1. They don't "have a hard-on" for running stuff from SLOT-2, it's just an older project which uses the only method of running homebrew which existed at the time of its release.

Slyde1052

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
meettomy.site
XP
Country
Russia
Vague Rant said:
If you knew anything about the history of homebrew on the DS, you'd know that before SLOT-1 cards existed, all homebrew had to be run from SLOT-2 using a PassMe device in SLOT-1 (or FlashMe) to trick the DS into thinking it was running from SLOT-1. They don't "have a hard-on" for running stuff from SLOT-2, it's just an older project which uses the only method of running homebrew which existed at the time of its release.

LOL I see!

Yeah I'm new to the whole scene. (Started earlier this summer)

Wow, I had no idea. Interesting though.
yaynds.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!