Heretic DS

Discussion in 'NDS - Emulation and Homebrew' started by OrphanPete, Sep 1, 2008.

Sep 1, 2008

Heretic DS by OrphanPete at 1:19 AM (2,326 Views / 0 Likes) 7 replies

1. OrphanPete
    OP

Newcomer OrphanPete Newbie

United Kingdom
    can anyone help me to get this working? i have downloaded it and i'm using an edge card. Are there extra files i need or do i need to place specific files in certain places? any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. Another World

Former Staff Another World Emulate the Planet!

Colombia
    you should read the readme...

To install:
    Unzip entire contents into a directory.

Place YOUR Heretic Wad in that directory and make sure it is called Heretic.wad
    NOTE: The shareware wad is named Heretic1.wad. You must rename it (or edit the "make_hereticfs.bat" file).

Unzip gbfs into the directory

Execute "make_dsHeretic.bat"
    This will create dsHeretic.ds.gba

Flash dsHeretic.ds.gba onto your gba cart

Run it using PassMe/Wifime/FlashMe

Enjoy!

to add music you need the raw files which are hosted on the homepage. http://heretic.drunkencoders.com/Heretic%20music.zip

For music:
    Download the Heretic music from http://heretic.drunkencoders.com.

Unzip the .raw music files into your dsHeretic directory.

Execute "make_dsHeretic_with_music.bat"
    This will create dsHeretic.ds.gba

you need a retail wad or shareware wad, as one is not included with the download.

i was sucessful with renaming the file to .nds and running on my m3 lite. other wise if that fails you need a slot2 flash kit. just so you know the compiled file is too large for a 3-in-1, its 33.8mb. also the game is older using old fat code, so sram dumps can be troublesome for some kits. saves on my m3 lite only work until i overwrite the sram. dumping it doesn't do anything. finally its a dead project, updates aren't planned or to be expected.

cheers,
    -another world

3. Slyde1052

Newcomer Slyde1052 Advanced Member

United States
    I'm curious, does the shareware wad limit the DS version to shareware content only? Or will you get the full game anyway?

EDIT I can run it in the DS emulator, but not on my DSTT. It just loads halfway then stalls.

4. Another World

Colombia
    shareware wads are not complete, there is no way to unlock them. you would have to physically try to merge the missing content from a retail wad using a wad editor. i can't help debug a dstt i don't own one.

-another world

5. Slyde1052

United States
    Well, the wad is no longer an issue (hurrrrrrrr), but I was wondering, when you run Heretic DS, do you have a slot 2 device in your DS?

I have no Slot 2 device and I think the emu is emulating a slot 2.

Could this be the problem? As the developer of the game seemed to have a hard-on for peeps running this off of a GBA cart.

6. Another World

Colombia
    i run it renamed to .nds on my slot2 in ds mode using my r4 as a passme device. it isn't an emulator but a port of the game engine itself to run on the nds on a slot2 card in ds mode. its an older project that hasn't been updated to include slot1 kits or dldi, for example. afaik it can't *require* a slot2 for anything because it should be on a slot2. what i mean is there won't be code that when its on the slot1 its looking for a slot2 kit or ram or something.

-another world

7. Vague Rant

Member Vague Rant Deceptively cute

Australia
    If you knew anything about the history of homebrew on the DS, you'd know that before SLOT-1 cards existed, all homebrew had to be run from SLOT-2 using a PassMe device in SLOT-1 (or FlashMe) to trick the DS into thinking it was running from SLOT-1. They don't "have a hard-on" for running stuff from SLOT-2, it's just an older project which uses the only method of running homebrew which existed at the time of its release.

8. Slyde1052

United States
    LOL I see!

Yeah I'm new to the whole scene. (Started earlier this summer)

Wow, I had no idea. Interesting though. [​IMG]