Homebrew Misc Compiling DS code

mgman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm asking around at various places, hoping someone might be able to help with this.

Has anyone had any experiencing trying to use nitrosdk, cygwin and codewarrior when it comes to trying to compile ds source?

Reactions: rvtr

mgman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty old source, requiring visual studio .net 2003. But getting that old version set up was manageable. With me having absolutely 0 technical knowledge or experience on any of this, the roadblocks to compiling this are:

- No idea how to configure visual studio to the nitrosdk. For at least part of it, anyway, I'm supposed to set some environment variables in windows, but no one seems to know what. Don't know what else needs to be done beside the env vars.

- Compiling apparently requires codewarrior and cygwin, except just like the previous one, I have absolutely no idea what setting those up to build the code entails. At all.

mgman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how to use that at all, though. If it can build pre-2010 source code, I could give it a try, but I'd still need detailed steps on what to do (edit: REALLY precise steps, at that).

Last edited by mgman,
Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
I don't know how to use that at all, though. If it can build pre-2010 source code, I could give it a try, but I'd still need detailed steps on what to do (edit: REALLY precise steps, at that).
On this tutorial https://gbatemp.net/threads/building-atmosphere-on-windows-using-msys2.613446/ I (Hopely) explain how to setup a MSYS and DevKitPro environment and then how to build Atmosphere from the official Repo. The first part can be used to any homebrew.

Once you have the DevKitPro working you can install nds-dev package and any other package needed

Reactions: mgman

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Why don't you just provide a link to whatever it is you're trying to compile, rather than leaving people to blindly guess at what you need?

It seems very unusual that you would need cygwin and Codewarrior and Visual Studio.

• Love
Reactions: impeeza

impeeza

¡Kabito!
Trophies
XP
Country
Colombia
1710822024971.png

Reactions: mgman

mgman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why don't you just provide a link to whatever it is you're trying to compile, rather than leaving people to blindly guess at what you need?

It seems very unusual that you would need cygwin and Codewarrior and Visual Studio.

Because I don't want to openly link to the WIP project I'm trying to get compiled. Those are the tools I was told are needed, and that's why I'm asking if anyone is familiar with them; I could get into more specifics with those users about it.

Reactions: rvtr and impeeza

rvtr

Nintendo DS hoarder
Trophies
Website
randommeaninglesscharacters.com
XP
Country
Canada
It's pretty old source, requiring visual studio .net 2003. But getting that old version set up was manageable. With me having absolutely 0 technical knowledge or experience on any of this, the roadblocks to compiling this are:

- No idea how to configure visual studio to the nitrosdk. For at least part of it, anyway, I'm supposed to set some environment variables in windows, but no one seems to know what. Don't know what else needs to be done beside the env vars.
I can't help you with visual studio, but your environment variables should be:

NITROSDK_ROOT=C:/some/path/
The root directory of your NitroSDK.​
NITROSYSTEM_ROOT=C:/some/path
The root directory of your NitroSystem.​

Though this is all from memory, you might want to double check and see the exact variable names used in the SDK.

- Compiling apparently requires codewarrior and cygwin, except just like the previous one, I have absolutely no idea what setting those up to build the code entails. At all.
You'll need...

IS-NITRO Development Kit.rar
Install the IS-NITRO-DEBUGGER software.​
ensata_1_3c_.zip
Copy ensata to your program files directory.​
cw_ds-2_0-sp2-20071025.zip
Install this code warrior package.​
You'll also need to find a license for CW.​
A really old cygwin
There's a link to the installer somewhere on that page. Install it.​
All the cygwin packages needed for the Nitro and TWL SDKs
Download and do "install from local directory" in the cygwin installer.​

Also the NitroSDK and NitroSystem but I think that's obvious.

...that should be everything :unsure:

Oh well, I'll be here if not!

You might also be able to get a VM if you send a message to a random gbatemp user with a name starting and ending with R (assuming you're willing to wait a few days). But idk who that user could possibly be, good luck.
Post automatically merged:

have you trying DevKitPro on MSYS?
DKP won't work with SDK code.

• Love
Reactions: mgman and impeeza

mgman

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't help you with visual studio, but your environment variables should be:

NITROSDK_ROOT=C:/some/path/
The root directory of your NitroSDK.​
NITROSYSTEM_ROOT=C:/some/path
The root directory of your NitroSystem.​

Though this is all from memory, you might want to double check and see the exact variable names used in the SDK.

You'll need...

IS-NITRO Development Kit.rar
Install the IS-NITRO-DEBUGGER software.​
ensata_1_3c_.zip
Copy ensata to your program files directory.​
cw_ds-2_0-sp2-20071025.zip
Install this code warrior package.​
You'll also need to find a license for CW.​
A really old cygwin
There's a link to the installer somewhere on that page. Install it.​
All the cygwin packages needed for the Nitro and TWL SDKs
Download and do "install from local directory" in the cygwin installer.​

Also the NitroSDK and NitroSystem but I think that's obvious.

...that should be everything :unsure:

Oh well, I'll be here if not!

You might also be able to get a VM if you send a message to a random gbatemp user with a name starting and ending with R (assuming you're willing to wait a few days). But idk who that user could possibly be, good luck.
Post automatically merged:

DKP won't work with SDK code.

Thanks so much! Actually wanted to ask about some of the requirements listed. Would I be able to PM you (or continue on discord)?

Reactions: rvtr

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto