Help with Neko Atsume

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by Lycanroc, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    So I'm trying to "translate" Neko Atsume for 3DS to English, but I'm running into a problem.
    Graphics aren't the issue and @DarkSynopsis already did a handful of them, but the text is where the struggle begins.
    The file that contains the text, "evt00_data.evt", actually contains Japanese texts, as expected, but it also contains a fully localized English script which is unused in the game.
    So what I'm trying to do is replace the Japanese text with the included English text.

Buuuut (there's always a but :(), it isn't going that smooth.

It is possible to view all of the text in Notepad++ or a hex editor that supports Shift-JIS, but when I tried making a small edit and running it using Luma's LayeredFS, I got an error on the bottom screen as soon as the game went past the "Nintendo 3DS" logo. NTR was the same. So I'm assuming that simply editing the text using Notepad++ or a hex editor isn't enough, so that's why I'm making this post, as I'm not very good at this stuff.

If someone could write a tool that allows for a simpler (and working) way of replacing the text, that would make my life so much easier.

Here are some screenshots or what I did:

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Attached Files:

pixelmasher and justneet like this.
  2. ngtunganh

ngtunganh GBAtemp Fan

Nov 22, 2015
    Did you try ask the guy that did "Yugioh saikyo card battle" translation?
    That game also got fully localize english inside game file too

3. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    Uhhh... that game definitely didn't have an official translation in the files, at least not a complete one, as the translation contains some words like "faggot", "lol" etc. Anyway, I'm getting help from Kuriimu's dev @IcySon55, so hopefully this will get sorted soon enough. For now I'm focusing on graphics, which will probably be fully translated by tomorrow.

pixelmasher and DarkSynopsis like this.
  4. ngtunganh

ngtunganh GBAtemp Fan

Nov 22, 2015
    wow that quick ,nice!

5. Lycanroc
    OP

Lycanroc Midnight Wolf

May 11, 2014
    Germany
    Ibbenbüren
    3AM
    Graphics: CHECK

Warning: Spoilers inside!

Yup, all of the graphics are now 100% in English! Gonna release the current progress tomorrow as a beta patch, and hopefully a full patch will follow soon™

ngtunganh, Ryccardo and pixelmasher like this.
  6. justneet

justneet Member

Newcomer
    Mar 25, 2017
    Brazil
    Aah, so you've gotten the game? I'm glad!! I can't wait for this patch, and I will be looking around for it!!

Lycanroc likes this.