Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
simple answer: probably

not so simple:
well, what I meant by playing around is that you find some text where you can find it easily and quickly while play testing, then change it to see what those codes do... play and then see what happens. be sure to document it all so that you have it all covered. Do you know how to insert breakpoints? this is only important if you are having trouble finding where the text comes up in the game. insert a breakpoint and bam while playing it stops and you now know where or when it is. I have only used breakpoints in 7th dragon and that was to try to figure out what the heck was going in with the font(s) for that game. It has been so long I can't remember how do that so...

now to be sure though... you are sure it is not just some random hex that is part of the programming? or a pointer or something else...
If it seems to be something that repeats before certain text and you can see that as a pattern then possibly it is a control value.

But as we have normmatt here... he could just tell us what he has figured out....

Even then I would like you to try to figure this out. The only way to do that is to change it and play. find some of the beginning game play text - so where you have the game introduction. from screen shots use the text in the screen shot search for it then change that...
oh make sure that it isn't the rom you are really translating use a copy. If it crashes in play then you shouldn't have changed it... if it changes the color or does something else you can note that.
note it and try some of the other codes/values. change + play again. til you're sure you have identified them all.

now next question though I am pretty sure you don't need to worry about this. Is it in the middle of the text or is this a code page thing... where you just change the code page and there you go japanese in a different encoding.

It probably is the first one so more than likely a code, fiddle with the text and see what happens.

not really related : you can easily get the tables for this game form the rftn nftr;
This is what I meant for itadaki street ds it uses code page 932 and the code page for unicode- though byte reversed. A big freaking pain in the butt I have to convert the unicode to hex then byte reverse it then insert that... as the font is not nftr based and is going to need some hacking. I had to dump the text twice once for sjis once for the unicode.

You won't need to worry about this though. you just need codepage 932 or to use the table from the biggest font in the font pak. you guys are lucky in having rftn nftr (well documented and previous tools exist to change them), to work with you might have had to go with some more difficult font hacking.

I am curious are you going to translate this in another language then english?

yugix

Sleepy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dear Rastran,

I did the following steps:

1- extract the tables from NFTR using the CT2 and edit them
2- create new nftrs for each one.
3- checked them in NFTREdit which shows that the NFTRs are working fine.
4- re-inject the nftrs in FONT_NFTR.pak

but, when starting the rom it give me white screen which indicate that there is a problem in nftrs.
Could you advice me, I will provide you with the created nftr if needed.

yugix

Sleepy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dear Rastran,

How to update pointers as I don't know how.

And about fonts, I discovered something which may be the problem, the original NFTR is from the second type (new type) as I read in NFTREdit post. But the one created by CT2 is from the first type.

Is there any chance of this being the problem?

Normmatt

Former AKAIO Programmer
Trophies
Website
normmatt.com
XP
Country
New Zealand
Wow. CrystalTile2 does the nftr automatically dammit why did i do it manually for
frown.gif

yugix

Sleepy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dear Rastran,
I understood all what you explained. I will did it today and will give results.

Normmatt,
You will get a nftr but the font is not like the original which I think it is the best.
I had to overwrite the tiles with the old because of this.

yugix

Sleepy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Dear Rastran,

This is the Result, Well, the font is not 100% Perfect but it works
grog.gif

dslefonts.png

I will check other fonts after some translations
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your mighty help

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
yugix said:
Dear Rastran,

This is the Result, Well, the font is not 100% Perfect but it works
grog.gif

dslefonts.png

I will check other fonts after some translations
biggrin.gif

Thanks for your mighty help

your welcome... to any one else who needs help with something like this do not be afraid to ask....

:Well that is when you talk to an image editor like myself... who will be happy to tweak the letters.

If you are talking about the last font in that pak, I tried to say before that the 8 or 16 color part doesn't seem to hold... someone woulld have to go back in and edit it to get that "just right" look. Course it could just be the font you used when you rebuilt the nftr. If you get a chance see what happens when you use "candyscript" a miscellaneous font that almost matches some of Itadaki Street ds's graphics. Makes me miss working in a candy store...
Glad I could be of some help. Do you need help with the other graphics? or will you be okay?

Yequan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Unless there is an automatic NFTR editor that allows you to add a new character so serious, you will not be with them atleast from what I can see you can not even work a simple anything. Not to mention the manual white format changes. nftr format, more annoying...

yugix

Sleepy
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Yequan said:
Unless there is an automatic NFTR editor that allows you to add a new character so serious, you will not be with them atleast from what I can see you can not even work a simple anything. Not to mention the manual white format changes. nftr format, more annoying...

Could you explain what are you talking about, because it seems that i don't understand it well.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
Yequan said:
what do you think nftredit does or what I was trying to explain to yugix earlier.... dump the font, open the font in crystaltile2 or nftredit, then edit it... you know NFTREDIT. jeez its actyually in the name.
read back...if you get confused ask.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i know, i know, i'm late