Hacking Help with cut Drive Pins

Libomasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've heard that there was a way to install a Wiikey on cut drive pins by replacing them. If anyone has some in-depth info, or maybe even a guide on this I would be very grateful.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

Libomasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there a way to solder to whatever is left of your drive pins by repairing them with some other material or something? I'd really rather not have to buy a dremel and wires after I've already got all this other equipment, and I was really betting on that quicksolder method.

Thanks for the response anyhow.

quadomatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Isn't there a way to solder to whatever is left of your drive pins by repairing them with some other material or something? I'd really rather not have to buy a dremel and wires after I've already got all this other equipment, and I was really betting on that quicksolder method.

Thanks for the response anyhow.

Not sure that you can do the mod any other way. That's just how it is with the cut legs.

Maybe you should see if you can borrow the dremel from someone?

Libomasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I just opened my Wii and it turns out the only point missing is #3. Is there anything different I should do. I'm kind of lost when it comes to the specifics. Can I solder all the other points on and then just use one of the other methods for point 3? Whats the best way to go about this?

EDIT: Searched it up. Apparently I have to wire the third point to the little chip thing. At the very least I won't have to break out the dremel, but that thing sure is tiny. Any tips?...

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
he is just missing the point on the wii board. Just solder the missing point wire onto the leg of the chip. Do some practice on a network card or some old pci card first.

Libomasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone know which cord/wire is best? I asked around at Best Buy and found an IDE cable but it was huge, and rather expensive(22$). I asked the clerk and they said bare copper wire would work fine, but I want to make sure.

What wires did anyone else use for this situation? Also, if I mess up I can use the desolder braid to remove solder right? Also, I heat up both points, tin the wire, then solder? Or do I tin the wire, and solder while heating up the points at the same time?

I know these seem like "DUh" questions, but I want to make absolutely sure I have this right.

Redsquirrel

Trophies
XP
Country
30AWG is the best. If you really must, just find some old IDE cable (probably like $2 or just an old one from a pc) and use that. Bit trickier though.

Libomasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, going to get the wires from radioshack soon. One last question though.

I plan to use the quicksolder method for all but one of the points. Is there anything I can do to prevent the solder from coming off? I've heard of a lot of people taking their Wiis during travel and finding it can't read any discs at all because of this.

Libomasus

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. Got the job done with a short wire install. Originals playing fine so far. Still one last question.

To prevent shorts, I hear you have to use electric tape. So would I just use electric tape to tape it straight over Wiikey's solder points and stick my Wiikey onto my Wii's board?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1