[help] Recovering from banner brick

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by omgmog, May 28, 2009.

May 28, 2009
  1. omgmog
    OP

Newcomer omgmog Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    So my 4.0 EU Wii which is softmodded with the HBC and Preloader installed decided to disagree with an injected VC wad that I installed.

When I boot the Wii now, I can't get to the main menu, presumably because of this bad wad. I had setup preloader to auto skip the warning screen, so when booting it displays the grey boxes and then the screen goes black.

I can get the Wii to boot to a black screen displaying the firmware version in the bottom right corner, by holding down all four dpad directions on a gamecube controller in port 4.

The Wii doesn't seem to want to boot any retail discs, and I can't seem to get it to auto-boot a boot.dol from my SD card when it turns on.

Am I missing some simple method of getting preloader to load at boot, so I can load the Any Title Installer and remove the broken wad?

I considered buying a SaveMii but they're out of stock, so are the WiiDriveKeys, so any other solution would be great.

2. omgmog
    OP

United Kingdom
    Nobody has a solution?

3. Richy Freeway

Member Richy Freeway GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Can you start preloader by holding down the reset button when you switch on?

If so, boot the HBC from there and use wad manager or whatever to uninstall the bad wad.

4. Tux'

Member Tux' GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada

You beat me to it [​IMG]. But yeah hold down the reset button as you turn on your wii. You'll be in the preloader menu and then go to wad manager and uninstall the bad wad.

5. omgmog
    OP

United Kingdom
    That is exactly the solution I was looking for! Thanks a lot [​IMG]

I was hoping there was a simple way to get into the preloader menu, awesome.