OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Australia
Sorry if these have been asked a million times but I'm new to 3ds hacks. I've done a lot of looking around for answers but I've still got a few questions. I want to downgrade my New 3DS from 10.3 to 9.2 and I get how to do that, but:

1. When I install emunand on my New 3DS I can't update it to 10.3 can I? It doesn't support the latest firmware on n3DS right? Why does it on the original 3ds but not New 3ds? Is that likely to change in the future?

2. Can I access the eshop from my emunand even if i'm not on the latest firmware and use it just like I do now with my normal NNID to buy games etc?

3. If nintendo release a new firmware (10.4 or whatever), I'm likely to lose access to the eshop aren't I? Or will homebrew help me access it?

4. What happens to all my digital games that I've bought and save files when I downgrade to 9.2 and install emunand? I won't lose access to them will I? Will my saves continue to work fine, do I have to download my games again or do I have to do something before I downgrade to protect them?

5. Why is it a good idea to unlink sysnand and emunand?

6. If I want to remove all the hacks and go back to the official latest firmware like nothing ever happened. Is that easy to do? Bear in mind I have a lot of eshop purchases tied to my NNID.

7. Is it possible for Nintendo to ban my NNID or console? How do I avoid that?

Thanks for your help!

RoyalLemons

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can't answer many questions but:
5. People generally unlink sysNAND and emuNAND so that they can have them on two different firmware versions or there is less risk of updating the sysNAND beyond 9.2.
6. It's not especially easy. To have it exactly as before you'd need to have some backup you can resort to which you can only load through hard modding on the n3DS. Anyone can correct me if i'm wrong though as i'm not certain.
7. Nintendo cannot lawfully ban your console unless you do something like sending a video of yourself committing piracy to them or something like that. Because they cannot prove that it was YOU who did anything to your console, you should be safe in that regard. Once again, I could be wrong, so if anyone else has a different answer, follow that.

Reactions: Opium and Tyson TH

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A lot of difficult questions to directly answer.
1. To put it simply N3ds is currently stuck at 9.5 as n3ds were built with an extra layer of security on them that o3ds don't have.
A lot of people are theorizing with the recent key leaks we might have a way of bringing emunand past 9.5 to N3ds soon, but I can't really comment on that from a technical standpoint.

2. I'm unsure if all the current N3ds eshop FW spoofing methods are currently blocked or not, Nintendo has the tendency to add more checks to prevent spoofing as they come up, so this is constantly changing.
Consider eshop access on n3ds currently unstable till you can get to the latest emunand regularly when updates come out.

3. My answer to question 2 pretty much covers this as well.

4. You shouldn't lose any if you don't format your sysnand. There are various methods in tutorials of unlinking nands and keeping your sysnand titles intact.
Of course titles that can't run without FW past 9.2 might vanish or not work after the downgrade.

5. If you brick your emunand virtual nand space (by deleting system titles and such) it should only make your SD card inaccessible.
If you corrupt your sysnand system titles your console is actually bricked.
It's also been reported that sysnand can sometimes be triggered to update when you update your emunand with linked nands.
This could obviously lock you out of kernel access and cause major issues.

6. I mean to remove your hacks all you'd really have to do is pull the sd card and update.
Your titles might need to be redownloaded from the eshop in sysnand, and you might lose your save data, but the console will be legitimate for all intensive purposes.

7. From my understanding bans have only really been temporary and only been popularly reported when people are using .3ds files from flashcarts as someone online might be using the same header if you didn't inject your own header.
Cia files are signed with your console ID, and don't use a traditional unique header in that sense, so they are safe to install and go online with in CFW.

Last edited by jaksy,

75mak

Trophies
XP
Country
A lot of difficult questions to directly answer.
1. To put it simply N3ds is currently stuck at 9.5 as n3ds were built with an extra layer of security on them that o3ds don't have.
A lot of people are theorizing with the recent key leaks we might have a way of bringing emunand past 9.5 to N3ds soon, but I can't really comment on that from a technical standpoint.

2. I'm unsure if all the current N3ds eshop FW spoofing methods are currently blocked or not, Nintendo has the tendency to add more checks to prevent spoofing as they come up, so this is constantly changing.
Consider eshop access on n3ds currently unstable till you can get to the latest emunand regularly when updates come out.

3. My answer to question 2 pretty much covers this as well.

4. You shouldn't lose any if you don't format your sysnand. There are various methods in tutorials of unlinking nands and keeping your sysnand titles intact.
Of course titles that can't run without FW past 9.2 might vanish or not work after the downgrade.

5. If you brick your emunand virtual nand space (by deleting system titles and such) it should only make your SD card inaccessible.
If you corrupt your sysnand system titles your console is actually bricked.
It's also been reported that sysnand can sometimes be triggered to update when you update your emunand with linked nands.
This could obviously lock you out of kernel access and cause major issues.

6. I mean to remove your hacks all you'd really have to do is pull the sd card and update.
Your titles might need to be redownloaded from the eshop in sysnand, and you might lose your save data, but the console will be legitimate for all intensive purposes.

7. From my understanding bans have only really been temporary and only been popularly reported when people are using .3ds files from flashcarts as someone online might be using the same header if you didn't inject your own header.
Cia files are signed with your console ID, and don't use a traditional unique header in that sense, so they are safe to install and go online with in CFW.
Wait.... the b3ds keys for 9.5+ have been leaked? When did this happen. Can you link to where there is more to read on this.

I just hope o3ds emunand continues to work on 10.4

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wait.... the b3ds keys for 9.5+ have been leaked? When did this happen. Can you link to where there is more to read on this.

I just hope o3ds emunand continues to work on 10.4
The keyleaks I was referring to were the ones that were explained during the kernel hax press release.
http://gbatemp.net/threads/aes-key-scrambler.406951/
They were able to utilize some of the information to gain an understanding of constant C in this thread.

What all this means in reference to actually getting emunand to work above 9.5, I have no idea as I've never looked much into the keychecks or how they work in regards to emunand on the n3ds's extra security, I've just heard speculation there might be enough info out there now for gateway or someone to crack it.

Again, I can't really comment on that from a technical standpoint.
For all I know these keys are entirely irrelevant to the issue of emunand above 9.5

Last edited by jaksy,

urherenow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use eshop all the time on my n3ds 9.5 emunand. How you access it differs between CFW and Gateway. With gateway, you can update tiger, Nver, and use freemultipatcher (or was it bootntr?... one of those, anyway). On CFW, you just update only Nver and access e-shop through the homebrew launcher (made easy as pie with the hblauncher_loader.cia). The Gateway method is cool because it also works with in-game DLC shops like Smash...

Last edited by urherenow,

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use eshop all the time on my n3ds 9.5 emunand. How you access it differs between CFW and Gateway. With gateway, you can update tiger, Nver, and use freemultipatcher (or was it bootntr?... one of those, anyway). On CFW, you just update only Nver and access e-shop through the homebrew launcher (made easy as pie with the hblauncher_loader.cia). The Gateway method is cool because it also works with in-game DLC shops like Smash...
Appreciate the additional clarification on these points!

I have to agree, bootNTR and freemultipatcher are both useful tools to have.
Is the nver just updating the system title for the eshop or something, or is it like changing the version of FW that your emunand identifies as?
I hate when tutorials (like the one I'm seeing for this method) explain how to do things, but not WHAT you are doing.

Last edited by jaksy,

OolongPie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently trying to get in the eshop on my n3ds emu9.5, I've installed the Nver and tried using hans to spoof and am getting the error code 022-2634. Did you come across this? Anyone have a solution? If I boot in through sysnand and launch hans/eshop spoof it works but my account isn't being used. This is causing such a headache..

jaksy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm currently trying to get in the eshop on my n3ds emu9.5, I've installed the Nver and tried using hans to spoof and am getting the error code 022-2634. Did you come across this? Anyone have a solution? If I boot in through sysnand and launch hans/eshop spoof it works but my account isn't being used. This is causing such a headache..
Have you tried googling Emunand + 022-2634?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol