That one guy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
OK, I left my (other) computer to get something to eat. I was transferring files from my external hard drive to my desktop and was running mIRC, as well as Mozilla Firefox (on GBAtemp).

I come back and this is what the screen says:

Code:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

(Windows root>\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the file.

How do I fix this?

PS: Sorry for the newbness

Foie

That one guy
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I found the recovery disk for the laptop, and I tried using it, but it does not work.

It gets to the part where it say "are you sure you want to recover your computer? You will lose all files blah blah blah..."
"Press © to continue or (A) to abort"

I then press c, but the computer restarts and never recovers. It goes in an endless loop...

EDIT:

I called the Toshiba support dude, and he told me that I probably fried the disk drive. Could this be due to the fact that I was transferring about 8 gigs of info from my external hard drive onto my laptop? Also, my computer has a history of overheating and shutting itself down... Could the combination of the two screwed it up?

hanman

I'm a pretty lucky guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the most likely cause for that error is a failing hard drive. go to hddguru.com and download a copy of mhdd. you can create a floppy or cd that you can boot to in order to scan your HD for errors. finding and downloading a copy of hal.dll is probably not going to work as there are several versions of this file for various CPU types. also, the computers i've seen this error on are usually missing much more than that one file. just test the hard drive, replace it if it's bad, or reload windows if it's ok. UBCD4WIN is a BartPE derivative that is very useful for retrieving data still on the drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZbUuSmFgMo