Hardware Help me troubleshoot water damaged 3DSxl

silvisakeru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I have a one year old XL that I would like to fix. A bottle inside my bag broke due to an accident killing the 3DSxl.

Symptoms are:
-Was on during the incident. Died after repair shop plugged battery and charger in while it was not fully dry. Charged a bit then died
-No charging LED when charged
-Can't switch on
-Power bank detects power draw when plugged in

I am armed with a multimeter and already tested the 2 fuses I could find (near port and battery) and both are fine.

Any suggestions on what might have died and which test points to test to narrow down the cause. I couldn't find any schematics to work with. Tried googling for one.

I still think there might be a fuse I'm missing and it is the culprit.

silvisakeru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I fiddled around with the o3DSxl with the multimeter. Since all the parts seems to be continuous, I decided to check the battery contacts and compared the value with a n3DSxl that I use now.

I found that the voltage is fluctuating rapidly on the o3DSxl ranging from 0.xx V to 3.xx V. I am now assuming that there is a malfunction with the power management IC. I remember finding a hardmod thread here in this forum where the TS identified the IC location and parts number but I can't seem to locate it.

Can anyone help finding the IC or that thread? I assume its the one near the charging port. Please help. I'm a bit lost. The closest repair shop is 50km away from me.

Also, bump.

Last edited by silvisakeru,
D

Deleted User

I heard from multiple sources that water-damaged electronics should be disassembled and put in a bowl of rice for 24 hours. Since rice absorbs water. Just put the motherboard and everything else in a bowl of rice for a day, you won't lose anything.

silvisakeru

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I heard from multiple sources that water-damaged electronics should be disassembled and put in a bowl of rice for 24 hours. Since rice absorbs water. Just put the motherboard and everything else in a bowl of rice for a day, you won't lose anything.

Thank you for the tip. That was what I did but I guess it wasn't completely dry when I sent it in to that damned repair shop. It has been dead for over a year. I studied and practiced soldering and repair just for this day when I'm finally confident enough.

Reactions: Deleted User

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: 24,000 hmmmm lol