Hardware New 3DS XL - Fuse?

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
Earlier today, I was in the process of hardmodding my New 3DS XL, I've done this many times on o3ds/o3dsXL, (10.5 prep work (10.3 firm) for DG-ing to 9.2
I make it a habit of testing power first prior to closing the 3DS back cover.

on several occasions, I've accidentally flipped the Battery *o3ds, o3dsxl, 2DS, I know, this is a stupid mistaken risk that would kill the 3DS PSU and or the safety, but so far 100% of the occurrence, they turn out just fine, at least for me.

this morning, I did the same thing on my New3DS XL, **at first, I got the setup working, with power and all, however, the card reader won't recognize my emmc, so I recheck my wires, ensure that they are soldered properly, and my Second attempt, and I accidentally flipped my battery's polarity!!. +/-
I know that is stupid of me for not checking *I was in a hurry due to my excitement (this was the First New3DS XL I've hardmodded.)

so, I Flipped it back to the proper polarity, and tried to turn it on. and BAM! no power! leds won't turn on. (a faint red light the the supposed blue led location flashes very dim for a split second then no lights.
charging seems to be ok. the orange led stays on.

when I unplug the charger, the orange Led stays on, *weird, I press the power button, the red light flashes again, then the orange led is gone.

I've had some experience in fixing DSlites fuse issues in the past (replacing the microfuse was easy).

does anyone know where the fuses are on the New3DS XL?, I can do basic soldering, but I'm no electrical Engr. to trace and find the possible locations of it. , o3DS' fuse locations are marked with "K", as seen on online guides, I would not want to guess if this is the same with the New3DS XL (I don't have my multimeter with me to test if that was no good, bridging it may probably cause more harm esp. if the problem is elsewhere).

any info, insight on my current scenario, and possible next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Earlier today, I was in the process of hardmodding my New 3DS XL, I've done this many times on o3ds/o3dsXL, (10.5 prep work (10.3 firm) for DG-ing to 9.2
I make it a habit of testing power first prior to closing the 3DS back cover.

on several occasions, I've accidentally flipped the Battery *o3ds, o3dsxl, 2DS, I know, this is a stupid mistaken risk that would kill the 3DS PSU and or the safety, but so far 100% of the occurrence, they turn out just fine, at least for me.

this morning, I did the same thing on my New3DS XL, **at first, I got the setup working, with power and all, however, the card reader won't recognize my emmc, so I recheck my wires, ensure that they are soldered properly, and my Second attempt, and I accidentally flipped my battery's polarity!!. +/-
I know that is stupid of me for not checking *I was in a hurry due to my excitement (this was the First New3DS XL I've hardmodded.)

so, I Flipped it back to the proper polarity, and tried to turn it on. and BAM! no power! leds won't turn on. (a faint red light the the supposed blue led location flashes very dim for a split second then no lights.
charging seems to be ok. the orange led stays on.

when I unplug the charger, the orange Led stays on, *weird, I press the power button, the red light flashes again, then the orange led is gone.

I've had some experience in fixing DSlites fuse issues in the past (replacing the microfuse was easy).

does anyone know where the fuses are on the New3DS XL?, I can do basic soldering, but I'm no electrical Engr. to trace and find the possible locations of it. , o3DS' fuse locations are marked with "K", as seen on online guides, I would not want to guess if this is the same with the New3DS XL (I don't have my multimeter with me to test if that was no good, bridging it may probably cause more harm esp. if the problem is elsewhere).

any info, insight on my current scenario, and possible next steps would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.

I've checked for diagrams with fuses and found nothing. You will need to get a multimeter. If you find any pics, let me know, but I've search for 2 days solid and never found them.

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
is the other one on the daughter board as well? I check the one near switch and it had continuity, where's the other one?

Both of them? There are 2.

Attachments

• 20160225_184148[1].jpg
    20160225_184148[1].jpg
    884.6 KB · Views: 3,191
Last edited by leerz,

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
is the other one on the daughter board as well? I check the one near switch and it had continuity, where's the other one?

I did that exact same thing to my N3DS about 7 months ago. The good news is you can get it to work again, the bad news is it is a hassle!

The replacement power board you show is required; that will get the unit to power on again. However, your unit will still no longer be able to charge the battery. To get that working again its necessary to replace the circuits located around the charging port responsible for charging the the battery. If you don't do this repair, you will find that current does flow to the battery but not enough to charge the battery.

Last edited by democracy,

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
I did that exact same thing to my N3DS about 7 months ago. The good news is you can get it to work again, the bad news is it is a hassle!

The replacement power board you show is required; that will get the unit to power on again. However, your unit will still no longer be able to charge the battery. To get that working again its necessary to replace the circuits located around the charging port responsible for charging the the battery. If you don't do this repair, you will find that current does flow to the battery but not enough to charge the battery.

Thanks

confirming that it is indeed the daughter board, my frustration led me to buy a new 3ds so just to test and confirm my hunch lol.

i tried the daughter board from the new 3ds, to the busted one, and it worked, *charging also works apparently!

I'm closing the new 3ds for now and focus on making the first one work. maybe fiddling with it more.

currently testing the connections on the working board, comparing results on the old one. :)

Both of them? There are 2.

Last edited by leerz,

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks

confirming that it is indeed the daughter board, my frustration led me to buy a new 3ds so just to test and confirm my hunch lol.

i tried the daughter board from the new 3ds, to the busted one, and it worked, *charging also works apparently!

I'm closing the new 3ds for now and focus on making the first one work. maybe fiddling with it more.

currently testing the connections on the working board, comparing results on the old one. :)
You should check the charging further; for me the charge light would illuminate appearing to charge but it actually didn't charge at all!

Try charging a half charged battery, you may see after a few hours it doesn't charge! Hope that's not the case!

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
You should check the charging further; for me the charge light would illuminate appearing to charge but it actually didn't charge at all!

Try charging a half charged battery, you may see after a few hours it doesn't charge! Hope that's not the case!
is the fuse near the charging port working?

democracy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That was possibly the problem. I had to take it to a professional who said they had to replace the components near the charging port. I believe reversing the polarity shorted the voltage regulator?

I did the daughter board replacement on my own through:)

Another way to test if problem applies to you, test voltage coming out of battery contacts with battery removed, if it's 270ish you should be okay. If its 240-235 you'll need the additional repair.

leerz

OP
Trophies
Website
leerz25.sitesled.com
XP
Country
I wonder if this is the cause with kiosk units. I found a black resistor with a red coil near the charge port, mounted different than whats on another n3ds.....
just a little update

I got the 3ds working again, I replaced the daughter board, and power is back on,

however, like vb_encryption_vb said, the charging doesn't work, it recognizes the battery, and recognizes the charger but won't allow the battery to charger.

I brought it to one legendary technician in our area (man, his skillz are godly, from gb, nes, xb1, xbox360, ps2/ps3/ps4 repairs).
he was able to trace that it was the charging ic that is busted and not supplying power to the battery/charge line.

the ic was surfacemounted, he replaced it (from a dead brick 3ds/parts), off went his hotair and the smd ic was transferred from one to the other and charging is now okay! :)
it's location is just left of the fuse, below the charging port. surrounded by several resistors and capacitors.

Last edited by leerz,

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just a little update

I got the 3ds working again, I replaced the daughter board, and power is back on,

however, like vb_encryption_vb said, the charging doesn't work, it recognizes the battery, and recognizes the charger but won't allow the battery to charger.

I brought it to one legendary technician in our area (man, his skillz are godly, from gb, nes, xb1, xbox360, ps2/ps3/ps4 repairs).
he was able to trace that it was the charging ic that is busted and not supplying power to the battery/charge line.

the ic was surfacemounted, he replaced it (from a dead brick 3ds/parts), off went his hotair and the smd ic was transferred from one to another charging is now okay! :)
its location is just left of the fuse, below the charging port. surrounded by several resistors and capacitors.
Picture?

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Do you know exactly what is wrong with the daughter board, or is a full replacement necessary? I mean worst case scenario I have to buy a bricked n3ds xl and replace the parts but I would like to repair it if at all possible.

I will check the part number when I am less frustrated and look at my board again.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...