Help me troubleshoot water damaged 3DSxl

Discussion in '3DS - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by silvisakeru, Jul 14, 2016.

1. silvisakeru
    OP

silvisakeru Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Malaysia
    I have a one year old XL that I would like to fix. A bottle inside my bag broke due to an accident killing the 3DSxl.

Symptoms are:
    -Was on during the incident. Died after repair shop plugged battery and charger in while it was not fully dry. Charged a bit then died
    -No charging LED when charged
    -Can't switch on
    -Power bank detects power draw when plugged in

I am armed with a multimeter and already tested the 2 fuses I could find (near port and battery) and both are fine.

Any suggestions on what might have died and which test points to test to narrow down the cause. I couldn't find any schematics to work with. Tried googling for one.

I still think there might be a fuse I'm missing and it is the culprit.

2. silvisakeru
    OP

silvisakeru Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Malaysia
    I fiddled around with the o3DSxl with the multimeter. Since all the parts seems to be continuous, I decided to check the battery contacts and compared the value with a n3DSxl that I use now.

I found that the voltage is fluctuating rapidly on the o3DSxl ranging from 0.xx V to 3.xx V. I am now assuming that there is a malfunction with the power management IC. I remember finding a hardmod thread here in this forum where the TS identified the IC location and parts number but I can't seem to locate it.

Can anyone help finding the IC or that thread? I assume its the one near the charging port. Please help. I'm a bit lost. The closest repair shop is 50km away from me.

Also, bump.

Last edited by silvisakeru, Jul 15, 2016
  3. AssemblerX86

AssemblerX86 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 12, 2015
    United States
    I heard from multiple sources that water-damaged electronics should be disassembled and put in a bowl of rice for 24 hours. Since rice absorbs water. Just put the motherboard and everything else in a bowl of rice for a day, you won't lose anything.

4. silvisakeru
    OP

silvisakeru Newbie

Newcomer
    Jan 23, 2011
    Malaysia
    Thank you for the tip. That was what I did but I guess it wasn't completely dry when I sent it in to that damned repair shop. It has been dead for over a year. I studied and practiced soldering and repair just for this day when I'm finally confident enough.

AssemblerX86 likes this.
  5. Catastrophic

Catastrophic Perfectly Normal

Apr 28, 2012
    Somewhere
    This one?

6. driverdis

driverdis I am Justice

Sep 21, 2011
    United States
    1.048596β
    If I found out a repair shop ruined my 3ds by turning it on while wet, I would have went after them for a replacement or money to compensate for their lack of intelligence.