Hacking Help loading PS2 games larger than 4GB

SomeRandomWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just recently installed Rebug on my PS3 after hearing that 4.82 was hackable in hopes of playing my PS2 library. My issue is I am having issues playing ISOs that are 4GB or more due to the limitations of FAT32. Here is everything I have tried thus far and the result.

Reformatting the drive as NTFS/ExFAT and testing the PFS option -> External memory not recognized by PS3
Compressing the .iso in a zip folder. TEsted on both USB flash and internal harddrive -> iso magically disappears after extraction?
Decompressing the iso into a folder and recompressing the iso using MultiMAN -> iso allows me to convert to PSClassic but doesn't load when I attempt to load it. Instead I get greeted by a Black screen and booted back to the XMB. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, please note, yes I know FTP clients exist and yes I know MultiMAN has a built in FTP server. I am not using FTP clients because it would take a day and a half if I tried to transfer via wifi.

EDIT: Thank you for all of the help you gave me! In case anyone else runs in to this issue, here are the solutions I found/was given:
1) Reformat your flash memory as NTSC and then place the ISOs at the root of the flash memory. Then launch MultiMAN and scroll to the tab on the farthest to your left. Find the option PFS options and press X. Then enter go to the desktop view and open the PS3 root (first icon on the gird). You should see a USB device in the list of options there. Open the USB device, then copy the ISO files to the PS2ISO folder in the PS3 library and poof. Your done!

2) Connect your PS3 and PC to the same modem via wired connection. Then use the built-in FTP server on MultiMAN in combination with a FTP Client (I use WinSCP but I have heard good things from Filezilla) to transfer your ISOs. This is a way faster method as it requires less pointlessly moving a 4GB+ file around. (Credit for this solution goes to Dr.Dew)

Last edited by SomeRandomWeeb,

SomeRandomWeeb

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know this, but in order to get the PS2 isos on the internal hard drive I need to use an external storage device such as a flash drive because FTP is out of the option. (Transfer speeds of FTP on my network range from 100kB/s to 34B/s)

Dr. Dew

Trophies
XP
Country
Sudan
transfer with FTP but hook up your ps3 to your router via an ethernet cable. It transfers MUCH faster than through wifi. I transfer my 10gb ps3 packages that way in about 10 minutes.

bootmonster

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes I know this, but in order to get the PS2 isos on the internal hard drive I need to use an external storage device such as a flash drive because FTP is out of the option. (Transfer speeds of FTP on my network range from 100kB/s to 34B/s)
Ah I get you now.

Just run the isos through ps3splitter (google it) on your pc. It will split it into 1 gig chunks with the extension 66600, 66601 etc.

Copy them to internal with multiman and it will automatically merge them back into the original ISO.

aytug25

Trophies
XP
Country
I just recently installed Rebug on my PS3 after hearing that 4.82 was hackable in hopes of playing my PS2 library. My issue is I am having issues playing ISOs that are 4GB or more due to the limitations of FAT32. Here is everything I have tried thus far and the result.

Reformatting the drive as NTFS/ExFAT and testing the PFS option -> External memory not recognized by PS3
Compressing the .iso in a zip folder. TEsted on both USB flash and internal harddrive -> iso magically disappears after extraction?
Decompressing the iso into a folder and recompressing the iso using MultiMAN -> iso allows me to convert to PSClassic but doesn't load when I attempt to load it. Instead I get greeted by a Black screen and booted back to the XMB. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Also, please note, yes I know FTP clients exist and yes I know MultiMAN has a built in FTP server. I am not using FTP clients because it would take a day and a half if I tried to transfer via wifi.

EDIT: Thank you for all of the help you gave me! In case anyone else runs in to this issue, here are the solutions I found/was given:
1) Reformat your flash memory as NTSC and then place the ISOs at the root of the flash memory. Then launch MultiMAN and scroll to the tab on the farthest to your left. Find the option PFS options and press X. Then enter go to the desktop view and open the PS3 root (first icon on the gird). You should see a USB device in the list of options there. Open the USB device, then copy the ISO files to the PS2ISO folder in the PS3 library and poof. Your done!

2) Connect your PS3 and PC to the same modem via wired connection. Then use the built-in FTP server on MultiMAN in combination with a FTP Client (I use WinSCP but I have heard good things from Filezilla) to transfer your ISOs. This is a way faster method as it requires less pointlessly moving a 4GB+ file around. (Credit for this solution goes to Dr.Drew)
download hjsplit porgram, it is just a few kilobytes.
use it to split ps2 game isos, im splitting them 3 gb sizes.
copy all splitted parts to your usb and use multiman to copy them to internal hdd, but on multiman just choose first splitted file and multiman will copy and combine all parts. you will just choose first part.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Irisman can mount ntfs drives, in fact I only have it installed to transfer my PS2 isos from my NTFS USB drive to the HDD of my PS3 (because FTP is too unreliable transferring large files with my router) :rofl:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0