Help! GameStop deal: trade in a DS lite + 2 games, buy a new one f

JDMEVOIXMR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So GameStop has this deal going on until the 8th where if you trade in a DS lite, and two games, you can purchase a new one for $50. I have an extra Zelda DS lying around (its a replacement shell, no serial number) and I took it there with the charger and Yoshi's Island and NFS ProStreet.

I showed it to the employee and he was like "No way, are you serious?" Until he turned it to the back and told me that they can't take it because I had no serial number. Now...I have an OEM Zelda Case at home....it's the original shell from my friend's lite that he sold to me. (but it has some scratches so I don't think they'd take it) And the serial number is intact. Now I have 2 questions..

1. If I take the serial number from the OEM shell and put it on the replacement one, and they find out, will I possibly be persecuted and arrested? Mind you the serial number IS from an authentic Zelda DS lite.

2. Or should I just painstakingly replace the replacement shell with the OEM shell since it has a serial number? But then again, I don't want to put all my time and effort into it if in the end they won't take it because of the scratches and faded color.

D

Deleted User

If the shells look exactly the same, just carefully peel off the sticker and place it on the other ds.
One time, my firend's warranty was about to expire, so I paid him some money for his sticker and warranty, and I put it on mine. My excuse to GamesStop was that the hinge made a noise when I opened it (it did). So I got a new DS for under $20!

JDMEVOIXMR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The shells are identical...except that the DS logo is kinda bigger and flatter, but pretty much the same, same color hue, same feel. He did notice that my hinge creaks, and that it was kinda stiff. He asked "Why do you want to trade this in? Oh, the hinge, it's like that from the factory eh..."
rofl.gif
When he asked me for the serial number, I said I had it on the box at home and I'll write it down for him. He said "Eh..just show me the box." I guess I won't be going back to THAT GameStop, so I guess I'm gonna go to the one tomorrow on the other side of town and pray that it works. I want a new Cobalt DS lite
cry.gif

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Buy a cheap shell replacement from DX, and put the serial number sticker on your case... done and done... take it to GameShit, and you can trade it in... or, put the cheap replacement case on, and keep your Zelda shell for the new one you get!

War

Take it easy~
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Im just gonna give you my honest opinion... I would not do the trade at ALL! Do you realize how much of a rip off that is? A DS Lite is 120 dollars brand new, right? Yet they're asking for 2 DS games (around 30 bucks each), 50 bucks (so that's already 110 dollars) and your DS. So technically, they're giving you 10 bucks for your DS.

The ONLY way I see this being beneficial is if the DS games are cheap used games, and the DS is REALLY messed up (scratches, top or bottom screen not working, shoulder buttons not working, etc)

Shabadage

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
JDMEVOIXMR said:
...guys...guys! do you think i could be persecuted/arrested if they find out....

Lol, no. It's not illegal to switch your case out. It voids your warranty, but GS takes stuff in that's off warranty anyway.

Awdofgum

Wadofgum
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have to agree with War.
That's actually a pretty bad deal...
Plus if you wait for the DSi to come out, than the price of DS lites will drop for sure.

JDMEVOIXMR

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
War said:
Im just gonna give you my honest opinion... I would not do the trade at ALL! Do you realize how much of a rip off that is? A DS Lite is 120 dollars brand new, right? Yet they're asking for 2 DS games (around 30 bucks each), 50 bucks (so that's already 110 dollars) and your DS. So technically, they're giving you 10 bucks for your DS.

The ONLY way I see this being beneficial is if the DS games are cheap used games, and the DS is REALLY messed up (scratches, top or bottom screen not working, shoulder buttons not working, etc)

The games are pretty much worthless to me since I have a Cyclo. I bought Yoshi's Island a long time ago, as for NFS, I got it for free. The DS is messed up, not cosmetic wise, but the touch screen cant be calibrated, so when you type and stuff, you have to type to the left, do everything to the left, the speakers are raspy, and there are scatches on the touch screen. The shoulder buttons work...but since it's not a real shell, they tend to stick. Another thing is the hinge is super stiff and it creaks, it doesn't even close unless you push it down. So I guess I see this as an opportunity to buy a new DS for $50.

Glacius0

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
Just sell your DS + 2 games on the forum here. I'm sure someone will pay you $70 for it if it has a cool replacement shell and no major faults.

Edit: posted this a right before you mentioned the faults... I see why you want to trade it in now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night