[Headphone jack] What's with all the apple hate?

flame1234

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't run software of your choice unless you're using a Mac. If you're using iWhatever, you can't (unless it's iMac, lol). And with the competitor it's not the case. It's not blind hate - that's the reason.
My first smartphone was iPhone 4S, my second was Samsung Galaxy S4. I liked the Samsung one better. I wanted to at least try them both. I'll never buy another iPhone. A lot of people like it though - more power to them, I guess.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just can't stand all the restrictions of an iPhone. I can replace my battery, use my phone as a universal TV remote, as a wireless controller for gaming, control a drone, play emulators, and don't rely on iTunes for my MP3 and FLAC music. I can expand my storage with an SD card, and move everything on it to my new phone in seconds. It also doesn't help that apple requires proprietary cables, and ditched the headphone jack on the latest model... A real bonehead move. (Everyone I know still uses corded earbuds.) It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the next iPhone removes the data port and does everything wirelessly, including battery charging and Wi-Fi syncing to iTunes.

Another thing I hate about iPhones is the "planned obsolescence" business model. (Two years support and then dropped, after you just spent $700 on your new iPhone? Better upgrade to a new $800 iPhone!) At least after the official updates for Android devices stop, you can flash over a custom ROM with a modern Android version, and stay updated... Can't do that with iOS. And yeah, the iPhone is far too fragile and featureless for it's price.

lil-g-gamegenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. iOS as it comes out of the box only runs apps from the app store, which unlike the Google Play store, is thoroughly vetted to not contain malware- if you jailbreak your shit that's on you. Mac OS obviously permits you to run whatever you want and malware happens, but with Gatekeeper, even rouge apps that have for whatever reason been erroneously issued a security certificate get them revoked expediently.
2. Great. That's why I love it. Unix stability with a human connection.
3. Hillary Clinton had "nothing to hide" but her legitimate email contents still arguably cost her a 1.2 Billion Dollar Presidential campaign
4. I apologize for the unadulterated snark, I just don't see choosing a less secure mobile OS to save a few bucks as that much of an 'opinion' as much as a forced comprimise
5. No, you didn't. You may have bought a phone with a processor that reports more megahertz, but Apple A-series processors paired with Apple iOS operating systems are UNMATCHED in mobile processing benchmarks.
1. Android as it comes out of the box only runs apps from the google play store. Sure you can go into the settings and enable installing apps (Which btw, is an option and is great for devs to test applications)
2. Linux is arguably more stable due to the amount of people who work on it together.
3. Are you running for president?
4. Please explain how choosing android, which has a much more diverse environment btw, is less secure than iOS? If there is a system that has no security whatsoever, but no one uses it nor has made a virus for it, is it secure? Android also has antivirus you can install.
5. [Citation needed]

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
but "security" can't easily be quantified
I guess that's fair. Nothing is more secure than my non-internet connected Gameboy from the 90's. It's a balance between obscurity and software availability. If I was typing documents that required a high-level clearance but never needed to be checked for grammar, I might pick Linux too, but I would still choose to run it on Apple hardware because every single iota of the hardware experience is meticulously designed for human usability.

Apple is human technology. And even though it's true, it sounds so absurdly self-important that it's met with derision, despite being the epitome of design and marketing. It's not the most valuable company on the planet because it brainwashes rubes into overpaying, it's because it is simply uncompromising in its values.

amoulton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
[Citation needed]
1. Google Play lets adware and malware into the App Store. It's not as thorough of a vetting process.
2. Linux is very stable and very secure, and for a person willing to compromise on software availability it's a fine option.
3. Everyone has skeletons. I'd like people not to know how many nudes I swipe from my moderating gig at OKcupid. Whoops.
4. Android let's you install non-vetted apps with a few taps in settings. This is less secure. Even if you don't accept apps from unknown sources see #1
5. https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/15/iphone-7-geekbench-benchmark-scores/

What does that even mean? are you saying that all other software isn't made for humans?
Yes. Android is built from the ground up to harness as much advertising revenue from it's users as possible, not to be an optimally usable platform for them.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I might pick Linux too, but I would still choose to run it on Apple hardware because every single iota of the hardware experience is meticulously designed for human usability.
Mind explaining how Linux on a MacBook is somehow "more usable" than on a ThinkPad? What exactly is the "usability" difference? I'm not seeing it.

Apple is human technology. And even though it's true, it sounds so absurdly self-important that it's met with derision, despite being the epitome of design and marketing. It's not the most valuable company on the planet because it brainwashes rubes into overpaying, it's because it is simply uncompromising in its values.
Apple recently admitted their overpriced Mac Pro trashcan was a mistake. Sounds like they "compromised" on their values. Never mind the historical failure of the Apple III, which included Apple's intentional crippling of the Apple II line because they wanted to sell the III instead. Or the Apple Lisa, for that matter.

lil-g-gamegenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think he means it's dumbed-down for "normies". When actually it's very counter-intuitive to use.
That's honestly the worst thing i hate about most new devices (even new androids lately). They always make things more "User-friendly" but by doing that they make it less developer friendly.

Last edited by lil-g-gamegenius,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
@amoulton I bet you think Beats are great headphones don't you
I was gifted a pair of $169 USD beats one christmas, and kept them because I didn't want to be rude... And they are very average-sounding. The build-quality (Or lack of) is also disappointing. There are even useless chunks of metal inside just to give the headphones more weight, to simulate better quality!!! Now if that isn't fucked, I don't know what is. I got a pair of vmodas for free, and they sound phenomenal by comparison, but also leak sound like a motherfucker...

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes it's designed for the laymen, not for the autistic outliers who need pandora's play button on their home screen or else they'll RREEEEEEEE
Quoting this so you can't edit it again.

Good job for saying anyone who doesn't use Apple products is "autistic". That's super classy.

samedifference

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Overpriced products with a lack of functionality + locked-down software/hardware aren't really favorable to me. In fact, the only Apple product I've bought in the past was a desktop iMac, which I definitely regret. I could've just built my own computer that would've not only been up-gradable, but also much less expensive. As for Apple removing the earphone jack from their phones, that's something that's absolutely unjustifiable. I personally wouldn't like to worry about charging my headphones, or having to pay extra to get an adapter to use regular ones. As for standard earphone ports being "obsolete", that's a bunch of garbage. After all, if something's not broken why fix it; let alone completely get rid of something that's still standard on all other devices? They pretty much did it just to be different.

LittleFlame

Local Bruh.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I was gifted a pair of $169 USD beats one christmas, and kept them because I didn't want to be rude... And they are very average-sounding. The build-quality (Or lack of) is also disappointing. There are even useless chunks of metal inside just to give the headphones more weight, to simulate better quality!!! Now if that isn't fucked, I don't know what is. I got a pair of vmodas for free, and they sound phenomenal by comparison, but also leak sound like a motherfucker...
my friends all tell me to get Audio Technicas for my next pair of headphones, listening with them at a friend's place they sounded actually amazing

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/TECN1Gm7j3A?si=XwYKYHKwxoMNdFqN