Hardware HDD Issues preventing Windows 7 installation.

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I recently started to work on an HP Elitebook 8530w. It had Windows 7 Professional on it, but for some reason one day, it didn't want to boot Windows. I tried to boot into the System Recovery, but after the little loading screen, it went to a black screen. Eventually, it showed the mouse cursor, but that is as far as it went. I created a Windows 7 Professional 64-bit disk and booted into the system recovery, but it didn't work. So, I decided to just try to reinstall Windows. I got to the Install Now screen, pressed "Install Now". I agreed to the terms and all of that stuff. Once I got to the screen where you pick a disk, I deleted the partitions and made new ones. I clicked continue and it gave me this error.

"Windows could not format a partition on disk 0. The error occurred while preparing the partition selected for installation. Error code: 0x80070057"

I tried again, but it gave me the same error.

I used my GParted boot disk and booted into GParted. I deleted the partition and created a new Partition Table. (mdos)

I tried to make a new NTFS partition, but it failed. It failed, and showed "unknown" as the partition. I deleted the "Unknown" partition and tried to make a FAT32 partition. FAT32 worked perfectly fine.

I deleted the FAT32 partition and tested to see if other filesystems work.

I tested the following:

XFS: Success

UDF: Success

REISERFS: Success

REISER4: Success

NTFS: ERROR writing to /dev/sda1: Input/output error, ERROR writing non-resident attribute value. add_attr_sd failed: Input/output error, Couldn't create root directory: Input/output error

NILFS2: Success

LVM2 PV: Success

EXT2: ERROR (Took too long, so I force canceled... but I am assuming it would have failed)

EXT3: ERROR ext2fs_mkdir: Input/output error while creating root dir

EXT4: ERROR mkfs.ext4: Input/output error while writing out and closing file system

LINUX-SWAP: Success

JFS: Success

HFS+: Success

HFS: Success

FAT32: Success

FAT16: Success

F2FS: ERROR (See gparted_details_f2fs.txt for more info)

BTRFS: Success

Attachments

• gparted_details_btrfs.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 126
  • gparted_details_ext4.txt
    1.7 KB · Views: 208
  • gparted_details_f2fs.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 162
  • gparted_details_fat16.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 140
  • gparted_details_fat32.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 140
  • gparted_details_hfs.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 138
  • gparted_details_hfs+.txt
    1 KB · Views: 145
  • gparted_details_jfs.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 148
  • gparted_details_linux-swap.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 135
  • gparted_details_reiser4.txt
    1,022 bytes · Views: 145
  • gparted_details_lvm2_pv.txt
    1 KB · Views: 135
  • gparted_details_reiserfs.txt
    1.5 KB · Views: 137
  • gparted_details_nilfs2.txt
    1.2 KB · Views: 134
  • gparted_details_udf.txt
    1.8 KB · Views: 144
  • gparted_details_unformatted.txt
    325 bytes · Views: 122
  • gparted_details_xfs.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 153
  • gparted_details_ntfs.txt
    1.3 KB · Views: 151
  • gparted_details_ext3_canceled.txt
    1.4 KB · Views: 135

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Hello.
If the Problem is not solved til today:

If it is an SSD HDD ( I think so: https://support.hp.com/at-de/document/c03289202 )

and you´re able to remove it from your Laptop you can try to format it in an other PC.I had an case with an Toshiba and an Samsung SSD and that Error Code you´ve mentioned above,that couldn´t format the SSD in the original Pc/Laptop by the Windows 7 Installation.Then we´ve tried it in another PC that works for us.Its worth a try.:)

Good luck.

Reactions: MrMcTiller

MrMcTiller

GBATemp's Tiller
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.
If the Problem is not solved til today:

If it is an SSD HDD ( I think so: https://support.hp.com/at-de/document/c03289202 )

and you´re able to remove it from your Laptop you can try to format it in an other PC.I had an case with an Toshiba and an Samsung SSD and that Error Code you´ve mentioned above,that couldn´t format the SSD in the original Pc/Laptop by the Windows 7 Installation.Then we´ve tried it in another PC that works for us.Its worth a try.:)

Good luck.
I would try it, but I don't have another PC.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://youtu.be/d9wnSq_aP-0?si=T9bdloMD2dGzvnbf