Hacking HBC 1.0.8 Update

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Liberty said:
smf said:
Whitelisting would be pointless, HBC is about allowing people to run homebrew.Everyone seems to be missing the point (on purpose??).
This. I thought IOS58 is just for better stability, USB2 and nothing else? Who really cares about piracy, non-piracy or whatever. Maybe someone really just wants to try a game before he buys, would anyone want to lock out these people too?
the game companies would, but thats not really relevant anyway...

Nothing in this update has anything to do with piracy or anti-piracy.
the discussion on wiibrew policy changes is off topic at best, I'm afraid.

again, nothing in the HBC update has any relevance to their stance on piracy.

propered

Trophies
XP
Country
Either way.... whether I like the all the changes or not. I really do appreciate the HBC and bootmii and the work it has taken to get here thus far.

They have indeed put in alot more than most into the development and exploitation of the Wii .... all this for free and as a hobby I guess. I'm not gonna get into the likes and dislikes but ultimately - as a non payin and non coding geezer - i could just look for other ways to do stuff on my wii without HBC and bootmii
frown.gif
......IF I feel so strongly about it !

And as we speak I do not so.....

Thanks for HBC 1.0.8

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Liberty said:
smf said:
Whitelisting would be pointless, HBC is about allowing people to run homebrew.Everyone seems to be missing the point (on purpose??). This. I thought IOS58 is just for better stability, USB2 and nothing else? Who really cares about piracy, non-piracy or whatever. Maybe someone really just wants to try a game before he buys, would anyone want to lock out these people too?

Well, if you look and actually read my post, you'll find I never used the term 'piracy'. It's clear that TT approves of some apps (those which they've allowed to remain on wiibrew) and some they don't (those which they've removed from wiibrew), for whatever reason. A logical extension of this, all to protect the noobs from bricking their Wiis of course, is to simply expand their enforcement directly with their app, which they'd also be entitled to do, just as they are entitled to do whatever they want with their website. Why is that so difficult to comprehend? Whitelisting would be as 'pointless' as removing the apps from their website, or even moreso, because it could actually be used to keep all the noobs nice and safe, whereas their current effort does nothing but force them to go elsewhere for the unapproved apps.
rolleyes.gif

And since everyone seems to be largely ignoring this point, what exactly was it TT was trying to do when they contacted Nintendo in the earlier days, if not wanting to help them 'lock out these people too'? Just because Nintendo reportedly never responded, that doesn't mean TT changed their stance, does it? At the very least, they demonstrated that they were willing to sacrifice the filthy pirates amongst us to gain favor for their homebrew efforts. I'll leave it up to you to decide whether that was right or wrong.
smile.gif

Hush now baby, baby, don't you cry
Momma's gonna check out all your Wii apps for you
Momma won't let anyone dirty get through
Momma's gonna wait up until you get in
Momma will always find out where you've been
Momma's gonna keep Baby healthy and clean
Oooo Babe
Oooo Babe
Ooo Babe, you'll always be Baby to me

Mother, did it need to be so high?

smile.gif

bwillb said:
the discussion on wiibrew policy changes is off topic at best, I'm afraid.
Umm...maybe you missed the 1st post?
QUOTE(SifJar @ Aug 14 2010, 10:58 AM)
HBC has been updated, see here: http://hackmii.com/2010/08/the-usb2-release/

More info: HBC now uses IOS58 if possible for USB 2.0 support. All apps which install cIOS or patched IOS of any kind are being removed from WiiBrew as patched IOS are no longer necessary because of HW_AHBPROT allowing full hardware access and USB 2.0 support via IOS58.
So, we're just supposed to open wide and swallow I guess?
rolleyes.gif

Arm the Homeless

Custom Title
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Chrnosclock said:
It's still a shame to see, what has been removed since the announcement:
I see a few depreciated apps, a few talk pages for those apps, and a lot of images and stored files for said apps that were unused.
It's no big deal. It's not like you can't get them. There's just no need for them (or they're broken) on WiiBrew.

It's not "a shame" to see. It's improving homebrew so future users don't have to go through the same crap.

Liberty

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
WiiBrew should have delivered a fork of their website itself. Maybe newbs can't read and will brick their Wii eventually, i get the point, but advanced users will always use tools like DOP-Mii and it was nice to have a central place in the net where you could gain informations about these applications. It's like removing his arcticle http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mao because Mao killed dozens of chinese people lol.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's going to be horrible is when Nintendo revises IOS 58 to break all these apps you guys worked so hard to depend on. At least with a custom IOS, it's installed in a slot that doesn't get updated unless it is by a stub.

If IOS 58 is good, then they may as well install a clean IOS in 158 instead of 58 incase nintendo messes with the original 58.

Edit:
But doing so would most likely break IOS 58 dependent games unless they find a work around.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, just realized that. Even if it is just one or two games that depend on 58, they would never make that move. I am not sure of all the capabilities of 58, but do you think it's possible for Nintendo to revise it so that the Homebrew channel won't work but the games still will?

megazig

SU
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then the libogc implementation gets fixed to do proper handling. if libogc handles it like Nintendo's SDK, they can't break homebrew while keeping their games working safely

bwillb

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
toazron1 said:
Skizzo said:
Can you tell us in clear and precise terms what data HBC sends back to the mothership?

has this been answered yet?
it was answered in the thread for the last version. I believe the answer was that it sends info pertaining to whether you update or not so they know how many people are using each version.

Skizzo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
This post has been removed by a moderator.
Reason: stop making pointless accusations
There've been plenty of threads wherein users discussed what they thought Nintendo's plans might be or what they could possibly do in the future, so for anyone interested, I've taken this angle of the discussion over to my blog where: QUOTEThis service is to be used for anything and everything relating to your personal life, opinions, rants and raves, and anything else you can think of that doesn't fit into another forum section of GBAtemp. Freedom of speech is a key component so your opinions, no matter what they may be, will not be policed as long as you stay civil and within the general rules of the forum..
Stop by if you feel like it.
smile.gif
Maybe one of you can point out the pointless accusations while you're there.
rolleyes.gif

http://blogs.gbatemp.net/Skizzo

Tom191

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This topic is really pissing me off that nothing good is coming out of it. What we know here is there are a few intelligent people that do coding and understand things and then a shitload of people that don't know shit.

Quit arguing about TT's decision about what they are doing with the wiki. Quit arguing with megazig, the rest of you are too numb to understand what is going on. He has made his point, and if you people can't see it then thats your problem.

The fact is HBC does not hinder anything purposely (there are a few slight bugs, but thats more with the app that you're trying to run). But what TT have discovered is the 3rd holy grail in wii hacking (1st being private key, 2nd being GC usb loading (IMHO)). There is a full way of accessing all the hardware where CIOS's are no longer needed!!! Yes it may take a while for every other app to catch up, but it eventually will. For now some people will still need cIOS's, but later on no one will. This is huge leaps and bounds.

Imagine, once the coders catch up, you will be able to install anything, do anything, and not need SU rights or anything like that like what the nintendo software was designed to do and all apps have had to adapt to that, until now.

The doors are open to even greater possibilities.

You will eventually be able to run a USB Loader without needing a cIOS installed. You wont need to fill up your precious low space nand with bullshit cIOS's and you can save more space for more important things. Further more, you will not need to test out buggy cIOS's and then wait for the apps to catch up and work around the bugs. You wont need to be hyped up that the next cIOS will do something and then totally fail because the duck tape hacker forgot to do something.

Megazig said it right, people need to learn to code better. There is so much more that is capable to happen when someone knows what they are truely doing, and not someone learning this as a high school project.

This topic should really get closed, or someone start posting examples of code so people can learn how to do something with their new found wonderful function.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tom191 said:
The fact is HBC does not hinder anything purposely (there are a few slight bugs, but thats more with the app that you're trying to run). But what TT have discovered is the 3rd holy grail in wii hacking (1st being private key, 2nd being GC usb loading (IMHO)). There is a full way of accessing all the hardware where CIOS's are no longer needed!!! Yes it may take a while for every other app to catch up, but it eventually will. For now some people will still need cIOS's, but later on no one will. This is huge leaps and bounds.

Show me the link that Team Twiizer came up with GameCube USB loading.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    T @ Texasauras: SOLILOQUY