Hacking Haven't used my modchipped Wii in many years and have some questions....

Degenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not required, but you should install bootmii. On older Wii consoles you have the possibility to install bootmii into boot2 which gives you almost perfect protection. If your Wii is really that old the chances are good. The HackMii installer will tell you if it is possible, but even if installation into boot2 is impossible you can at least install it as an IOS (which is useful in conjunction with Priiloader).

So in short: Install bootmii and Priiloader to protect your Wii. There are a lot of threads here like this:

“I did… now my Wii does not work anymore.”
“Do you habe Priiloader and/or bootmii (boot2) installed?”
“No.”
“Your out of luck. Get another Wii, they are cheap.”​

Did you wait some minutes?
I may have waited a minute or 90s. I'll try again waiting longer.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just waited 10 min at the scam screen and nothing :(
That’s more than enough. It should not take that long. Two or three minutes is enough. The size of the SD-card is not a general problem. You need <=2GB SD non-SDHC cards for game exploits like Smash Stack. Letter Bomb works fine on SDHC.

Has the Wii ever been soft-modded in the past? See here: https://hbc.hackmii.com/faq/ .

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
ModMii's hackmii solutions guide will fix this for u

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For the hackmii installer to be loading but not prompting with the press 1 to continue text, the issue is not the SD card.

This will fix your hack mii installer issues!

TLDR: Try running modmii's hackmii solutions wizard, for real it might fix this issue
I think maybe installing a clean IOS58 (the top IOS prioritized by the hackmii installer) might fix the issue. Whatever IOS is being used to run the installer is getting hung up somewhere somehow, it could be a patched IOS from some legacy cioscorp garbage hacks. So modmii will save a boot.elf for mmm to the root of the SD card instead of the hackmii installer so that it will be launched by letterbomb (or "wilbrand" which is basically the same thing by @giantpune, mad respect). This will allow you to install a clean IOS58 even if the wii is a total virgin (you can install officially signed Nintendo IOSs so long as they aren't fakesigned or a lower version number than what's currently installed). After doing that you can even use mmm's app launcher to load the hackmii installer so u don't need to move files on the SD card using a PC before using banner bomb again.

Edit: technically doing an official update then resoftmodding your wii should also get this fixed, but official Nintendo updates can 003 brick region changed Korean wii's (unless that wii was previous modded by ModMii, then it would have extra protection to save it already installed, that is a patched ios60 installed to slot 80). So basically just use modmii because there are lot of people who have wii's that don't even know that at some point or another they used to be Korean, you'd be surprised how many times I hear about 003 bricks caused this way.

Last edited by XFlak,
Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Degenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
ModMii's hackmii solutions guide will fix this for u

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For the hackmii installer to be loading but not prompting with the press 1 to continue text, the issue is not the SD card.

This will fix your hack mii installer issues!

Edit: technically doing an official update then resoftmodding your wii should also get this fixed, but official Nintendo updates can 003 brick region changed Korean wii's (unless that wii was previous modded by ModMii, then it would have extra protection to save it already installed, that is a patched ios60 installed to slot 80). So basically just use modmii because there are lot of people who have wii's that don't even know that at some point or another they used to be Korean, you'd be surprised how many times I hear about 003 bricks caused this way.
Wow I'm really lost. So where is the ModMii's hackmii solutions guide?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Wow I'm really lost. So where is the ModMii's hackmii solutions guide?
Have a look at the pictures on the first page of the ModMii for Windows Official Support Topic. All you have to do is download and start ModMii and then select "HackMii Solutions + Guide".
After doing this, and hopefully being able to install the Homebrew Channel, run Modmii once again with "ModMii Wizard+Guide".

Reactions: XFlak

Degenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Have a look at the pictures on the first page of the ModMii for Windows Official Support Topic. All you have to do is download and start ModMii and then select "HackMii Solutions + Guide".
After doing this, and hopefully being able to install the Homebrew Channel, run Modmii once again with "ModMii Wizard+Guide".
Thank you sir.

I will follow your directions tomorrow, and I hope I can return with positive comments :)

Degenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I guess I missed out on the ModMii download because the links are no longer available :(

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I guess I missed out on the ModMii download because the links are no longer available :(
They're still up for me on the site...
upload_2019-1-3_22-10-31.png

niuus

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Thanks but I can't even get the Homebrew channel installed. I'm using the Letterbomb method on a 16GB SDHC. I know it's a large size but I don't have anything smaller. I even created a 2GB partition and copied the files to it but I can't get past the "scam" message. The press 1 option never appears :(
I am gonna go ahead and tell you, by my own experience, that using a 2GB or lesser cards is a safe bet for everything to work when you're doing the softmod procedure, specially when running the HackMii installer for the first time to get the Homebrew Channel. Hey, it could work with SDHC, but i do remember having wasted some hours in the past trying to understand what was wrong, and when i changed to non-sdhc cards, everything went smoothly. Besides that, using ModMii will guarantee you a success, i have used it non-stop on countless Wii consoles without a single problem.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by niuus,
Reactions: XFlak

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
The very first line in the post is a hyperlink to that site...
for real the only link to the old site is in my signature, the modmii thread just had links to the new site - just the image is outdated because the original artist never left me his source files and I like the look and have been too lazy to try to recreate it personally or ask someone for help

anyways we're going off topic. I use a 2GB sd card as well (sandisk) and have never had any issues with it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
The very first line in the post is a hyperlink to that site...
Ah, I missed that when I skimmed it.
for real the only link to the old site is in my signature, the modmii thread just had links to the new site - just the image is outdated because the original artist never left me his source files and I like the look and have been too lazy to try to recreate it personally or ask someone for help

anyways we're going off topic. I use a 2GB sd card as well (sandisk) and have never had any issues with it.
Links are still wrong in the instructions:
How to Use ModMii
  • Download and use the the ModMii Installer from the official ModMii Webpage HERE
  • More information on installing and using ModMii can be found in the ModMii Usage Page
  • More information on ModMii in general can be found on the official ModMii Webpage

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

Degenerate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Okay so I downloaded and ran ModMii, selected "HackMii Solutions + Guide". It did it's job, created a folder on my hard drive and I copied of all of the contents inside the "Copy to SD Card" to the SD card.

From here is where I'm stuck. If I click on the SD card at the main menu I see nothing, so I'm thinking I'm looking in the wrong place. I click on the mail icon and I scroll back a few times until I see a little bomb icon holding a SD card above him. I select that and it takes me to some manager. There problem from here is that i can't scroll up, down, left or right by pressing any combination of buttons on the remote, and I tried both remotes.

1) Am I moving in the right direction to get the home brew channel installed?
2) Why am I unable to navigate through the menu?
a) What should I select in order to install the homebrew channel?

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190120_013317.jpg
    MVIMG_20190120_013317.jpg
    7.4 MB · Views: 329

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay so I downloaded and ran ModMii, selected "HackMii Solutions + Guide". It did it's job, created a folder on my hard drive and I copied of all of the contents inside the "Copy to SD Card" to the SD card.

From here is where I'm stuck. If I click on the SD card at the main menu I see nothing, so I'm thinking I'm looking in the wrong place. I click on the mail icon and I scroll back a few times until I see a little bomb icon holding a SD card above him. I select that and it takes me to some manager. There problem from here is that i can't scroll up, down, left or right by pressing any combination of buttons on the remote, and I tried both remotes.

1) Am I moving in the right direction to get the home brew channel installed?
2) Why am I unable to navigate through the menu?
a) What should I select in order to install the homebrew channel?

Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.
It sounds like you have the wrong thing as your boot.elf, try replacing it with a fresh copy of the hackmii installer.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv6vlP2qSyo